Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seriously,... be prepared... no, seriously... (Read 216 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Seriously,... be prepared... no, seriously...
11/20/13 at 22:55:35

I have about $25 in junk silver... current value, $300 or so... (another $20 0f 99% silver dollars)...
... 100 single dollar bills,... and an undisclosed amount of cash, hidden away...
...(total investment is less than big screen TV,.. so it ain't worth killing me for... and you couldn't find it anyway)...

I'm not paranoid,.. but, I have a boy scout mentality (never was a boy scout)...
I figure,.. you don't need to invest your life in these things...
Just take the time to act,.. and have more than the average guy...
...(plus,.. Mercury head dimes, and old quarters, and half dollars, are fun to play with)...
Grin...

My zombie defense,...(this includes Tea Party'rs)... Grin...
Is a loaded snubby 38,.. and a sweeeeeeet Norinco copy of a Baby Browning 22 semi takedown rifle, with 4 bricks of .22 ammo... (that's a $40 ammo investment)...
Again,... I don't have to be the king,... just ahead of the average...

I'm not a foil hat kinda' guy...
... but, I've always been a "just in case" kinda' guy...
Say,... a minimalist preparedness kinda' guy...
99% of things I have stockpiled, are used and replenished regularly, and this money would be spent anyway...

SO,... What do you really need?... in case of,... natural disaster,... asteroid,.. govn't collapse,.. civil war,.. invasion,.. ecomimic collapse,.. zombie invasion?...

Fun,.. and serious... Grin...
...but,... keep it realistic... nothing the average guy can't do with beer money...
So,.. let's make a list...  nothing outrageous...
Just trim to the essentials...

I have tons of LED lights... a wind-up radio,... over 2,000 .22 rounds,... 3 months of canned goods,... 5 neighbors with pools,... and I feed the local pigeons in my back yard...
(I also have a 177 pellet rifle just for piggies)... Grin...
I have a 40 mpg car, and a 60 mpg bike...
... a stock of aspirin, strong pain killers, and doggie antibiotics that are highly recommended for anthrax...
Several gallons of bleach,.. some white vinegar, baking soda, vodka, salt, pepper, dried peas, beans, lentils, instant mash, rice, flour... (that's a couple of pounds of salt and of pepper...spices were much more valued in days before electricity)...

I wish I had solar power (working on it)... and a wood stove (working on it)... but, I'm new to this house... (and still payin' up on it)...
A ham radio would be nice... but, I might only need to listen...
I also have a good collection of knives,... and fire starting methods...

...and 3 acoustic guitars... Grin...

So,..  tell me where I'm wrong...
what I've left out?...
Add on... what am I missing?... or what have I forgot to list?...

also,.. tell me if I have thought of anything that might add to your preparedness... (just to make me feel good)...
... (I bet,... you're shocked... for a Lib, I got some baddass survival stocks)...

Whatcha' got?...
Huh...

... 'scuse me,.. while I adjust my foil hat,.. and overcoat... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Seriously,... be prepared... no, seriously...
Reply #1 - 11/21/13 at 05:13:55

Funny but I was just thinking about this. Tornados wiped out Washington IL this week and that's only 90 miles from me. Told my wife we need two 55 gallon plastic drums with supplies. One in the shed and one in the house. Enough food and water for two weeks. A couple guns. 22's (don't need a machine gun) and a pellet gun is a great idea. Tents, blankets, fire starting supplies. Coleman lanterns. Wind up radio and light. Flashlights, bunch of batteries. What else?
The most likely thing to take out the grid and leave me like the Philippians is an earthquake or tornado.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/21/13 at 06:16:26

What are you doing?
You're supposed to be the voice of reason in the tall table, bot.
Cheesy

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/21/13 at 06:47:09

I think thats a wonderful idea, Bot,, YOu got water filters for dumpin skanky water in & potable coming out the bottom?

Natural disasters Happen,,the same preparation is needed for all the others.

TRip to sams, buy some gallon cans to feed othersmaybe? Its easier to feed neighbors than fight them off..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 11/21/13 at 06:57:20

Wood stove, check.

Ammo, check. Pellet gun, check. Single shot .22 and single shot 12g, check (you waste less ammo if every shot has to count).

2 surface acre stocked pond and a water purification system, check.

Couple of crazy Kentucky hillbilly friends who can identify and prepare all of the wild edibles on our 54 acres, check... and absolutely priceless if for nothing more than comedic value...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 11/21/13 at 08:02:53

Paraquat wrote on 11/21/13 at 06:16:26:
What are you doing?
You're supposed to be the voice of reason in the tall table, bot.
Cheesy
--Steve

I'm hoping I still am.. Grin...

I'm not talkin' about stocking 100,000 rounds of AK-47 ammo and a bazooka, with trip wired grenades and wearing camo underwear...

Just fairly low cost, simple items, that you might have on hand for any situation...
Tornado, hurricane, flood..
...or what if there was a viral outbreak in your town?... a bad flu, smallpox, or even anthrax (might want to stay home and hunker down for a couple of weeks)...
Possibly, a fuel crisis, or even trucker strike... (a good stock of non-perishables)...
Power grid outage?...
Even a sudden run on banks... (mostly due to mass hysteria)...

These are all realistic possibilities...
I just have a little stash put away to be one step ahead of rest...
Here in S.AZ,... water would be the biggie... and I don't have a simple, easy method to deal with that... except to borrow/barter/swipe water from neighbors pools... (that's where some silver, or cash, might come in handy)...
Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/21/13 at 08:21:35

A gravity water filter, Bot,, they can take ditch water & make it potable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/21/13 at 08:35:22

I forgot... I also have a smallish 12v fan that I could run off a car/bike battery... (a solar panel would be cool)...
...and my home BBQ grill is camping size and stainless steel, adapted to a 5 gallon tank... (big ones are inefficient,.. I think mine is 8 or 10k BTU, but still big enough for a chicken or a few steaks and veggies)...
...or pigeons... Grin...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 11/21/13 at 13:08:45

Small 4k generator and 15 gallons of gas just to keep the freezer going till all the food is used up. Inground pool for water, lots of pasta and sauce thanks to my wife's coupons along with maybe 2 weeks of other dried food. For fire arms and ammo I'm good with a 30-06, 7.7 Jap along with a bunch of black powder muzzle loaders in .50 caliber. Also have a collection of .22's and 2-3k of .22 ammo and two BB guns. For hand guns I've a Colt Woodsman and a Ruger .380 ACP. Been reloading for all the centerfire guns and have more than enough ammo for them but if it comes to a shooting war I would probably be out of luck.
 Can cook on the grill and have a small 2 burner camp stove which can be run off a bigger tank. Can alway use my travel trailer if i need to bug out or downsize till the emergency is over but I would rather stay home and "bug in".
also have a little coin silver and some gold which is just for emergency use in case everything goes south bigtime. Strange I never thought of myself as a prepper but almost sounds like I am. Shocked

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 11/21/13 at 14:10:50

I just got a 8hp Colman generator going ( circa 1990). Cost all of $25 for a carb rebuild kit and $7 for a new hose and filter. The plan though is to get it working on propane and nat gas, as one can be stored ( without eating the carb) and the other has a tendency to stay flowing even through bad weather and such.

I am not so worried about zombies or bank runs.. but having dealt with Katrina ( the hurricane) and other such weather (we had 7 homes destroyed last of fellow church members.. one is still re-doing his roof), I already know how REAL that is.

I have some silver... but thats a hobby; buy and sell.  Guns, duh... and press. Generally food and electricy are the issues. My wife likes to shop at Sams every month or two.. so if needs be we have a ton of chicken broth, and tomato sauce.. also rice ( I like rice) and coffee ( she needs to let up on the coffee... I think we have like 4 pounds!)

5 gal buckets with working lids can be bought at Home Depot. These are useful for storing food stuffs, med kits, whatever.

What I cant/wont keep is wood... 2*4 and plywood. These also seem to dissappear during storms. But keeping them cause roaches and worse ( termites). Got pleanty of nails and screws.

The other thing we have is her moms home.. which is out on 40 acres in the middle of no-where. If its not a storm thing ... then I ship them there and try and keep the home front for a bit I suppose.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/21/13 at 14:29:41

A sling shot and enough nuts and bolts to keep a walker mega-pack at bay.

A solar array, but as soon as the grid goes down I'll have to rewire it and use mobile inverters.  I have to look for a solar island type inverter.

The makings for a solar oven, rice and canned food for a month.

in ground pool and a drinking water filter.

I probably won't wait that long to bug out though.

After a few days those that can will take advantage of the weak.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 11/21/13 at 15:33:29

Katrina went directly over where I live.  I remember seeing the eye and thinking I made it.  Three 60 ft trees fell in my yard and one clipped the house while I was in it.  You never know.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 11/21/13 at 15:43:06

Living on the gulf coast (4 blocks from the water) we have to be prepared for hurricanes, so we always have a kit, just in case.

100 rnds of 9mm ammo for the pistols
200 rnds of 22 cal for pistol
100 rnds .177 pellets for the pellet guns
8  31" carbon arrows/w target & hunting heads for bow
numerous hunting and flip knives
5 ea. 5 gal plastic containers for gas (8500 watt roll a round generator)
1 ea. 12" x 15" flat electric grill
1 ea. 2 burner electric grill
2 ea. 5 gal collapsible containers for water
4 ea. small propane bottles for campstove and lantern
2 ea. shake'm up flashlights (requires no batteries)
1 ea. wind up lantern (can charge different cell phones with adapters)
1 ea. wind up flashlight/warning light with am/fm  weather radio
3 portable coolers from lunch box size to monster size
In the way of foods, we always have 4x as much can goods as we need
we always have canned meats and non-refridgerated meals (Hormel makes some good ones, just heat'm up in micro or drop them in a pan over a fire)
Lotsa noodles and rice and instant taters and such
If we get hit, we could last for at least 3 weeks or more if we knew for sure so we could go down to one meal a day and snacks and last for about a month.
The problem is in this society, if there was a meteor, bomb , war what ever most folks would want to grab everything they could and horde it in the house they live in. However I would not, I know enough folks in places that are rural, that I would probably pack up and go to one of them to get away from the craziness that would follow.
I doubt we would make it farther than Alabama, but that is as far as I would need to go for the "first shelter"

Have a plan, realistic or not make one, always plan for the worst that you could imagine, that way if its not that bad, your golden, and if it is, you at least be prepaired.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 11/22/13 at 21:13:07

A good dog to spend your last days with; if you die first he'll bury your bones. Wink

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #14 - 11/23/13 at 12:34:53

I've got too many guns to list, I collect em. My prize is a Colt AR15. Have 400 rds of ammo for it. Got a new Mossberg pump 12 gage that shoots 3 and 1/2 inch shells. My wife can shoot a lot better than I can and she's got two Glocks. I aint going to no Fema Camp without taking a few of em down!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 22:15:00

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Seriously,... be prepared... no, seriously...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.