Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My S40 was on the side of the road.  Electric? (Read 108 times)
Scott808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My S40 was on the side of the road.  Electric?
11/18/13 at 16:55:24

Here is what happened:

I installed a sissy bar and saddlebags two weeks ago.  I had to reinstall signal lights as part of the install.  Bike ran fine no issues

This morning my signal lights stopped working.  Front marker lights worked but no hazzards or turn signals.

At freeway speed the bike started to backfire and quit.  Restarted after I pulled over, but quit again when I tried to accelerate.  Pulled the seat and checked wiring think I may have touched something when re-installing the signals.  No signs of trouble.

Put the seat back on and it started.  I made it a few miles and it quit again.  I let the bike sit for an hour thinking something was hot.  The bike started but died after a few seconds.

The wierd thing is after it quits I get no neutral like and the starter will not turn.  I try again and the light comes on and the bike starts normally.  It is either fine or dead, does not seem to be heat related.

Any Ideas?  Thanks

« Last Edit: 11/20/13 at 09:46:14 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Scott808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help.My S40 is on the side of the road.  Elect
Reply #1 - 11/18/13 at 17:06:53

More details:  It is a 2011 with only 1100 miles.  I have put over 1000 miles in the last couple months with no issues.  I bought it used with only 22 miles.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/18/13 at 17:27:31

You have a short... you just need to retrace what you did, and find where it went wrong...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/18/13 at 18:31:05

First, check battery voltage. Then, check your big ground on the engine, make sure the connectors on the battery are good. Im not thinking short, Im thinking an open. Youre not poppin fuses, shorts do that. Make sure the connector under the tank is good, they have been known to vibrate loose, disconnect & inspect your connectors, make sure no wire has backed out or is getting corroded. If that doesnt get ya runnin & back home, then youre gonna hafta have a wiring diagram & ohm meter/test lite/jumper wires & start making sure that where wires go on the diagram, youve got wires actually making those conbnectors..

Its intermittent, so, either youve pinched a wire ( so,, look around at everything youve pulled & reinstalled & see if a wire is close) & its busted but still inside the insulation & therefore invisible OR,, its a crappy connection,, thats what Im hoping for for ya.
Also, there is a set of wires that CAN be run close to the belt,, & the belt can seriously rub a raw spot on them,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 11/18/13 at 21:55:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/18/13 at 18:31:05:
First, check battery voltage. Then, check your big ground on the engine, make sure the connectors on the battery are good. Im not thinking short, Im thinking an open. Youre not poppin fuses, shorts do that. Make sure the connector under the tank is good, they have been known to vibrate loose, disconnect & inspect your connectors, make sure no wire has backed out or is getting corroded. If that doesnt get ya runnin & back home, then youre gonna hafta have a wiring diagram & ohm meter/test lite/jumper wires & start making sure that where wires go on the diagram, youve got wires actually making those conbnectors..

Its intermittent, so, either youve pinched a wire ( so,, look around at everything youve pulled & reinstalled & see if a wire is close) & its busted but still inside the insulation & therefore invisible OR,, its a crappy connection,, thats what Im hoping for for ya.
Also, there is a set of wires that CAN be run close to the belt,, & the belt can seriously rub a raw spot on them,

was going to suggest battery,sounds like what mine done one night,rode to work early hours of the morning,half way home it backfires heaps and died,everything was working fine,BUTTTT,when I'd finished putting it together on the weekend before,I didn't connect the rectifier thingy me bob so was only running on battery Embarrassed

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Scott808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/19/13 at 09:22:00

Thanks for all your sugesstions.  It turned out to be two separate problems.  

First, a large plug for the lights must have shifted into a tight position under the seat when I installed my saddle bags.  It separated causing the turn signal issue

Second, the first thing I checked was the battery terminals.  They were ozidized and gunked up.  I clean them and re-installed the battery and she started up and ran fine.

What a coincidence that the light plug and the battery terminals failed on the same day.

Aloha,

Scott

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/19/13 at 15:48:00

Yep,, more than 1 issue is kinda rare..Glad ya won it!
Now,, go solve some problems for these other folks,,Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/20/13 at 09:37:24

Good show, finding and fixing it! To add my $0.02, my signals etc. quit intermittantly within 2 weeks of bringing home a new 2012. Pulled the seat to check fuses, and found a big green connector had come loose. It appeared to be self-locking, so I pushed it back together and all was O.K. Then it happened again a week later. So it seems the cheap connector is defective, so I put it back together and put a small zip-tie around it. Problem solved.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 03:36:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My S40 was on the side of the road.  Electric?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.