Send Topic Print
Front end swap? (Read 583 times)
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Front end swap?
11/17/13 at 15:53:06

It has been a while since i have been on here... But I picked up a 94 Suzuki intruder 800 (for $200.00) & was wondering if there is any way to use the forks, wheel and brakes on my Savage? It has a 21 inch rim & appears to be the same MM diameter fork tubes. But seams it may have a wider tree. Will I have to do a neck swap, will the trees fit the savage neck or Etc...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front end swap?
Reply #1 - 11/17/13 at 16:46:12

I wouldn't be surprised if it bolted right up with no mods.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 11/17/13 at 22:20:56

It's been done a few times. At most, needs a few shims on the upper stem bearing. Use the Intruder speedometer as well, turn the stock location in the Savage tank into a cup holder, the engine heat will keep your coffee drinkable for miles...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 11/18/13 at 07:53:51

I have a 2007 S40 and a 1988 Intruder 750. I measured best I could (without taking everything apart) and it looks like a direct swap. You will have to swap everything - triple trees and all. I know that the forks on the VS750 are bigger than the S40. Suzuki changed the fork diameter on the VS800, I don't remember what year. The LS650 has more rake than the VS800 so the longer forks/21" tire should look good on the S40.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #4 - 11/18/13 at 14:22:39

I'd like to see pics of this mod if you do it.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
maxtowers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Versilia, Italy
Reply #5 - 11/18/13 at 15:43:08

i will be curious to see it too...

1994 Suzuki Savage, mini ape, raptor petcock, lowered forks
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 11/18/13 at 23:06:51

Me 3 !

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 11/19/13 at 19:15:48

Me 4!!!

This opens up a whole new world of ideas!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #8 - 11/20/13 at 14:39:44

Thanx for all your input guys  & yes I will update with pics. I remembered a few years back someone on here had a 21" tire on the savage. Just couldn't remember how they did it. I was just hoping someone else had done this so I wouldn't have to pull the forks off to check the specs.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 11/20/13 at 19:29:43

Double check the diameter of the forks on your VS800. The forks on the S40 are 38mm and the forks on my 1988 VS750 are 39mm. I'm not sure if the newer VS800s have bigger forks than the VS750. Keep us updated.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/21/13 at 03:09:16

12Bravo wrote on 11/20/13 at 19:29:43:
Double check the diameter of the forks on your VS800. The forks on the S40 are 38mm and the forks on my 1988 VS750 are 39mm. I'm not sure if the newer VS800s have bigger forks than the VS750. Keep us updated.

The other thing that needs to be checked is the spacing between the fork tubes.  If this is different it can be adjusted by changing the size of the spacers on the axle.....and adjusting the brake caliper mount.  I used RM400 triple trees and my stock fork tubes, and I also had to trim the mounting surface for the disc brake.

Lancer did a full fork swap on REX, and used the forks and triiple trees from a different bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 11/21/13 at 07:09:10

Best I could tell by measuring both bikes with a tape measure, you should be able to swap complete front ends. The plus of using the VS front end is the speedometer is on the triple tree, the negative is the warning lights are there too (under the risers/handlebar). The speedometer would be easy since it runs off the front wheel on the VS750/800

I'm sure Lancer will pipe up on the swap he did. If I remember correctly, he used the front end of an older Suzuki GS (550?)

IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #12 - 11/23/13 at 18:45:26

Yes, I have done some reserch on the intruder fork tubes are 39mm. I have thought about boring the stock savage trees to 39 & slimming the wheel spacers on the 21 inch wheel, but i would still have the problem of the disc brake not linning up. But if it is a direct swap then, I will do that. The full swap would give me the bigger brake/bigger wheel/longer forks/cooler fender. The biggest bonus is that I can use the Avon ribbed speed master front tire.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 11/24/13 at 07:32:08

I think swapping the complete front end would be the easiest. I've been looking at my S40 and VS750 sitting next to each other in the garage and thinking the same thing, the VS front end would look good on the S40.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 11/25/13 at 08:57:25

I did a swap with the entire front end of an '83 GS650.  I used it for a while but eventually decided that it was not working any better for me than the stock unit so I went back to stock.
I had initially wanted to use a dual disc brake setup on the GS unit but could not get the correct fork/caliper/wheel/disc combo to make it work correctly.  I had picked up the assorted pieces separately from ebay and not as a complete set, which would have been the best option but that was just not available at the time.  So the setup was as a single disc brake and that was surprisingly no better than our stock unit.
Anyway, I got tired of messing with it and went back to stock.  It works well enough for my needs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front end swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.