Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
You don't need a lot of bike (Read 177 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

You don't need a lot of bike
11/16/13 at 18:21:43

I found this on the Guzzi forum.
"An adventure bike does not need to be an 1150cc ugly behemoth.  A modestly powered tough bike that still looks like a motorcycle should and will do the job just fine."

Video of guys riding Enfields over the highest road in India.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwV-Im0kGqg

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: You don't need a lot of bike
Reply #1 - 11/16/13 at 20:51:46

That kinda explains the Enfield rear tire set-up .   The tire comes off with-out having to loosen the sprocket set-up.   That's the good news , the bad part is you can't "Regear" the rear sprocket becouse its made into a hub thing , and the bike is geared to red line about 82mph. Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/16/13 at 21:50:06

Nice vid... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/17/13 at 08:22:46

Which Guzzi forum?

Can you imagine living in the times when the fastest thing you could ride was a HORSE? I woulda run a few to death & injured them playing in turns,, OHH wait!  When I was 12 my Grampa ( the farmer) borrowed a welsh pony & just hadda feed it & take care of it,,So, I had a buddy ( for a while). I liked running him down one end of the field & whoopin a hard right. I was bareback, but that little dude knew how to work it so it was easy to stay on,, He learned to lean into that corner till one day my head clipped the telephone pole,, He was standing there, waiting on me to wake up, with my straw hat in his mouth. No, he didnt take a hunk out,,
That horse was so cool, when it was time to get off, he'd drop his head & Id slide down his neck,,He wouldnt go faster than a slow walk with my older sister on,, Pissed her OFF..
Anyway, after G/pa watched me run that poor thing ragged for about a week, he took him home,,
I dunno why he didnt just sit me down & talk to me about how to handle a horse.. Awww,, who am I kiddin? I wouldan lissined!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/17/13 at 17:10:13

Now that looks like it was a fun trip!!!!!!!

Hmmmm maybe next time I'm back in India   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #5 - 11/17/13 at 20:34:13

I found this on the Guzzi forum.

A Guzzi fan are ya?

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 11/18/13 at 00:52:01

Guzzis and BMWs have long had a reputation here in Europe, as the motorcycles you can redline to death and still deliver.

When the Guzzi V7Special came out in 1972, amidst all the Honda, Kawasaki MachIII and SuzukiGT bruhaha, Guzzi took one of its bikes off the production line (chosen at random by a group of journalists) rode it to Monza, and rode it 12 hours straight, setting a new record of 2154.636 km (1338,28 miles) ridden in 12 hours, at an average speed of 179,553 Km/h (111.52 mph) including pilot swap, fuelups and oil changes.

A few weeks later, another V7 Sport (the one with the half ton drum brake and clipons) took on Ducati 750 GT, Honda CB 750 Four, Kawasaki 750 Mach IV, Laverda 750 SF, Suzuki GT 750 at the same track, with the intent of comparing the overall performance of the participants. (Unfortunately, MV Agusta, Triumph, Norton and BMW gracefully declined, and Harley Davidson never even replied).

After a screaming start, with Kawasaki MachIV, SuzukiGT and Honda CB away in that order, the thundering twins followed.
Many would have imagined a "no contest, Japs win hands down", however...
...by the time the first bikes came round the "parabolica" hairpin just before the Start/Finish line, it was Guzzi V7 Sport who was leading, thanks to a 72bhp engine and brakes and chassis which allowed to lean into corners like no japanese could even dare.

The big Guzzi lapped Monza in  2′ 02″47, over 7 seconds faster than the Kawasaki 750 Mach IV which, in those days, was considered the state of the art of crotch rocketry.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V7_Sport
(You can translate online with MS Bing Translator or whatever you prefer)

Guzzi won hands down. Unfortunately for Guzzi, such incredible engineering was let down by very poor marketing, and the rest is history.

Tongue Embarrassed Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/18/13 at 12:58:51

I do love my Guzzi but I am keeping my S40.  After I week or so of riding the Guzzi it feels good to get on the Suzuki. The Savage feels light and nimble and I love the torque.  The Suzuki is a great bike around town and the Guzzi likes the highways.  So I ride them both.  I'm retired and get to do what I want, life is good.

I would like to buy another bike for a winter project so I am looking around locally for something that needs to be saved from going to the scrap yard or being parted out.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/22/13 at 09:14:28

engineer wrote on 11/18/13 at 12:58:51:
I do love my Guzzi but I am keeping my S40.  After I week or so of riding the Guzzi it feels good to get on the Suzuki. The Savage feels light and nimble and I love the torque.  The Suzuki is a great bike around town and the Guzzi likes the highways.  So I ride them both.  I'm retired and get to do what I want, life is good.

I would like to buy another bike for a winter project so I am looking around locally for something that needs to be saved from going to the scrap yard or being parted out.

I have no idea what "local" is for you.....as you don't list that in your profile.  But if it is anywhere near North Georgia.....here is a screaming deal!

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?133183-94-ST1100-Black-NON-ABS

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 11/22/13 at 14:39:51

wow, 1900?

if my Harley was sold i'd take a trailer up there if the title was clear

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #10 - 11/22/13 at 15:48:34

I restored a 1974 model Guzzi that looked like the first picture. Rode it 10,000 miles and sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. I converted it over to electronic ignition and all I had to do was barely bump the starter and she would fire. I rode it to a lot of Harley Rallies and all the Harley Riders would run up to look at it. It was a great touring bike!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/23/13 at 07:52:13

My Guzzi had the pegs too close Up under the butt, knees like a jockey riding a race horse..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/23/13 at 17:32:14

Justin_o_guy2:   In order to be comfortable on my Guzzi I fabricated dog leg peg mounts and moved the pegs forward and down.  Then I made a new seat for it that raised me up and moved me toward the back.  Now when I am at a stop my feet hit the ground just behind the pegs and then it is easy and comfortable to get my feet back up on the pegs.  The distance between where I sit to the pegs is now 26 inches, before it was around 21 or 22.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/23/13 at 22:51:07

Just call me JoG,, Thats way too much typing,.,
Yea, well,, I stuffed mine in the side of a pickup, so, I wont worry about any further mods..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › You don't need a lot of bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.