Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop? (Read 231 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop?
Reply #15 - 11/18/13 at 09:28:44

Gyrobob wrote on 11/18/13 at 09:27:12:
We don't want a slower idle, though.  It's a cam oiling issue.

That'll fix the pop issue permanently...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #16 - 11/18/13 at 10:01:49

Yes, I know that. Not many variables to work with.

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 11/18/13 at 11:05:04

The best thing to do,.. is jet the carb for best running performance/economy and don't try to fix an exhaust problem with the carb...
A freer flowing muffler, Harley Shorty, will allow the unspent exhaust to escape easier and reduce the shut-down pop...
Using a clutch kill, or idling for 5 or 10 seconds before shutting down, will help...
Ultimately,.. hot pipes are a fact of life in a large air-cooled thumper... and so are pops...
If you can't live with them,.. you may have the wrong bike...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #18 - 11/18/13 at 11:11:02

There must be some additional factors at play here, since we all seem to have different experiences with afterfires and shutdown explosions.

My experience has been mostly free from the problem.  Only an occasional pop when shifting.  A nice burble when deccelerating as the RPMs approached idle (correct idle speed).  A VERY occasional soft poof (not a gunshot) on shutdown if shutting down immediately after running hard.  I would shut the engine off with the key.

I was running a dyna muffler with a 1/2" hole in the baffle plate for a little extra noise. Jetting was left over from running the same too-loud/too-open Emgo muffler as Ryca uses.  I forget the numbers, but I had stepped up one size main jet, idle jet and a white spacer mod.

I know this was a little rich, as I would slightly soot up the rear brake arm. I also didn't need to pull out the enricher valve (choke) to start until temperatures were in the 40's F.  Even then only half out on the enricher.  Full out was too much.  The idle mixture screw was left alone, as I broke off a screw in the cover plug while trying to get it out.  However, set this way, it ran great and never starved for fuel.  My mileage was about 46 MPG.

I think what worked for me was the slightly rich condition and an exhaust system with NO leaks.  I sealed the header/muffler joint with some asbestos cloth I inherited from my grandfather.  I don't know if you can still get that stuff (Thanks, Grandpa).  The asbestos created a soft gasket like the soft sealing ring on the stock exhaust.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #19 - 11/18/13 at 19:20:15

Serowbot wrote on 11/18/13 at 11:05:04:
The best thing to do,.. is jet the carb for best running performance/economy and don't try to fix an exhaust problem with the carb...
A freer flowing muffler, Harley Shorty, will allow the unspent exhaust to escape easier and reduce the shut-down pop...
Using a clutch kill, or idling for 5 or 10 seconds before shutting down, will help...
Ultimately,.. hot pipes are a fact of life in a large air-cooled thumper... and so are pops...
If you can't live with them,.. you may have the wrong bike...

Bike was given to me by my brother to induce me back into riding (it was the bike he used to get back into riding; now rides three other bikes). It would not have been my personal choice, but now that I have it, I'm interested in seeing if I can iron out some of the glitches. I don't mind pops. It's POPS I mind.

- David
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 11/18/13 at 22:54:26

I too am on the boat about, some will, some won't, no matter what you do.
Albeit I have only been on this site for only about  9 months now, but there have been folks just adj. the air/fuel screw, some that took air/fuel screw + washer, some that did jet change and air/fuel screw...ect....

I don't think one thing is the same on EVERY bike... I've even added the dyna muffler, then adj. the air/fuel screw and now her bike don't even POOF at shut off, now matter if its shut down after a minute of idle or shut off after just a few seconds when she stops and puts down the kickstand, it still doesn't poof or pop....

I will be buying me one here soon, so we shall see...  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #21 - 11/19/13 at 06:31:34

I'll be interested in how your bike rides. According to my brother, it backfired and POPped when he first got it, new, even after he adjusted the idle mix.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:18:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.