Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop? (Read 231 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop?
11/14/13 at 14:01:17

Now that I've got the decel backfiring tamed, I'd like to get rid of the shutdown gunshot pops that happen about 50% of the time. I can get rid of them by stalling the engine, but that is tedious and also, I imagine, not great for the clutch. And they went away when I tried a bigger pilot jet and also when I replaced the TEV spring with a much weaker spring, but neither of those was a good overall solution. Since all carbureted motorcycles don't do this, there should be a fix, but I'm out of ideas. What might work?

My understanding is that they happen because some fuel gets pulled into the cylinder after the spark has been shut off and then, unburned, gets pumped out to the exhaust pipe, where it is then ignited. Is that correct? If so, why don't most other bikes do this? And how might I emulate what other bikes do to avoid shutdown cracks on the S40?

Thanks for any ideas.

- David
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop?
Reply #1 - 11/14/13 at 14:33:45

Dave I stated before, that all I did to the wife's savage was to take off the top of the carb, clean up the air piston/slide which ever you call it and replaced the white spacer with a couple of small washers, then adj. the screw under the brass cap (air/fuel mix?) till it sounded good.

She has never had a pop on shut-off yet and that's been about 5 months ago.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #2 - 11/14/13 at 15:03:19

Did that quite a while ago. Improved midrange performance but had no effect on backfiring or shutdown pops.

- David
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/14/13 at 18:12:49

I did the white spacer mod and turned the air screw out to optimize idle speed but still had a pop after shut down.  Following the advice of members of this forum I opened the idle screw another quarter turn and the pop nearly disappeared.  It only happens now if I have been running it hard and shut it down very quickly.  So the final solution is to let it idle for about 30 seconds before I turn the ignition off and then it is OK.

There was a thread on this same topic not too long ago, last spring maybe.  If you can find that "after fire" thread there is lots of information.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/14/13 at 18:37:05

Dave of MA, I found that thread and it is very informative:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366007765/0#0

Here is a quote from it by Verslagen that took care of my afterfires:

Re: Backfire theory...
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 10:28:47  
S'bot, I've always found the biggest bang on shut down was when the idle mixture was set at optimum.  And all it takes to get rid of it is an 1/8 to 1/4 turn richer.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 11/14/13 at 18:40:11

That is probably what happened with me then.... I spent a good hour and a half playing around with the screw settings.

I'd run it down the road feeling throttle twist vers accel, then hit the house, let it idle for about one min., shut it down and listen. Then adjust more and rinse and repeat.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #6 - 11/14/13 at 19:13:50

Well... I've had the idle mix turned out 1/4 turns ranging from 1.5 to 3 turns (where it is now), which helped eliminate the decel backfires, but it had no effect on the shutdown pop. I'll look through that other thread to see if there are any additional gems, but adjusting the idle mix didn't do it.

EDIT: Read the other thread. I can play with the idle speed and mix some more, but as I've done a lot of that with no improvement, I was hoping there was some variable I'd missed. Maybe not.

- David
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 11/15/13 at 03:25:56

I have nothing to back it up but I think part of the pop problem is the large volume of fuel mix and the relatively small volume of the exhaust system.  It helps keep the mixture in the burning range where a smaller cylinder's mix would have proportionately more exhaust and be diluted, no pop.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 11/15/13 at 07:04:05

I guess that makes sense, although then I'd think bikes with twin cylinders that feed the exhaust into one pipe would also backfire and pop on shutdown. I have never owned such a bike, but I've seen a couple on rides I've been on and didn't notice any backfiring from anyone but me!

Also mysterious is why some Savages/S40s, even at the same elevation, backfire and pop on shutdown while others don't, with the same modifications to the bike. Unless it's just very sensitive to small changes, and manufacturing tolerances and variations would explain it. Frustrating!

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 11/15/13 at 13:44:33

I sort of like the pop after turning the key off.  With my particular jetting and exhaust, though, it sounds more like a paper bag being popped inside a small closet than a gunshot.

When I am around someone who might be annoyed with the sound of a gunshot, I shut it off this way:
-- move the raptor to off.
-- let it idle for ten seconds or so in gear with the clutch pulled in.
-- let the clutch out a tiny bit,... just enough to put a little drag on the clutch,... by just enough, I mean the rpm reduces by about 50 rpm.
-- then turn off the motor by using the kill switch.
-- make sure to put the transmission back in neutral.  (I removed the safety switches)
-- turn the key to off.
-- move the kill switch back to on.

With the drag of the partially engaged clutch, the motor stops spinning almost instantly, probably reducing the amount of unburned fuel pulled into the combustion chamber and exhaust pipe.

This cancels out the POP about 90% of the time.

« Last Edit: 11/17/13 at 10:26:09 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 11/15/13 at 13:59:17

Thanks. I also use the clutch drag method, though not as gently as you; I 'll try that, but it would still be nice to find a mechanical fix. Tried turning in the idle mix screw from 3 to 2, which seemed to reduce the volume, but got more decel pops (though not very loud). So it seems having the mix rich enough to kill the decel backfires is too rich for a quiet shutdown.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/18/13 at 05:43:30

Whenever you shut off the ignition......the engine pumps air and unburned fuel into the hot exhaust system.  A lean mixture will burn faster than a rich mixture......so jetting will have some affect on the loudness of the shutdown pop.  A lower engine speed will pump less fuel into the exhaust......so that is what a dragging clutch helps to do....slow the engine down and fewer piston pulses after the ignition is turned off results in less unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Some lawn mowers have a solenoid in the carb that shuts of the fuel flow when the ignition is turned off.....as lawn mowers are subject to this same backfire when the ignition is turned off.  This backfire also is avoided on fuel injected engines which stop fuel flow as soon as the ignition is turned off.

It may be that our double wall pipe also allows the inner pipe to stay hot longer than a single wall pipe would.....so there is more tendency for the unburned fuel to ignite after the shutdown.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #12 - 11/18/13 at 05:59:30

So, a slower, richer idle should, on average, result in quieter shutdown pops, but it will still pop once the exhaust pipe is hot?

So why, I wonder, does old_rider's wife's bike not pop on shutdown? She's at roughly the same conditions in Florida as I am near Boston, as far as air density goes.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/18/13 at 07:04:42

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/18/13 at 05:59:30:
So, a slower, richer idle should, on average, result in quieter shutdown pops, but it will still pop once the exhaust pipe is hot?

So why, I wonder, does old_rider's wife's bike not pop on shutdown? She's at roughly the same conditions in Florida as I am near Boston, as far as air density goes.

There are lots of things that could be different....including riding style.  If Mrs. Old-Rider does not go as fast, takes her time getting the bike parked and allows a bit of idlng time before she turns off the ignition - the exhaust might have cooled down enough that it does not ignite the fuel.  I know that my bike will occasionally pop if I shut it down soon after getting off the highway (gas station, etc.) - but it never pops after I have driven slowyly down my gravel driveway.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 11/18/13 at 09:27:12

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/18/13 at 05:59:30:

We don't want a slower idle, though.  It's a cam oiling issue.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Eliminating shutdown gunshot pop?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.