Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decompresion lever (Read 203 times)
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decompresion lever
11/13/13 at 20:36:19

Anyone devise a way to add a hand activated lever that can be used with the stock chrome piece that attaches to the top of the cylinder head? The supplied thumb lever that came with my Ryca kit will not work and the alternate foot operated pedal seems too clunky.

IMG_20131113_202057.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Decompresion lever
Reply #1 - 11/14/13 at 03:45:38

In my bike build I used a Honda Hot Start lever that I installed on my clutch lever, and I used a cable I made from a throttle kit I got from Venhill.  You can find photos on page 5 of this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938

It works fine....as long as the exhaust valve is open when you pull the lever.  The little lever unfortunately is just too small to get enough leverage to open the valve if it is closed when you pull the lever.

I believe that if the lever were larger it would work fine.....and I am going to try a bicycle brake lever next.  

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/17/13 at 22:28:26

Tried cutting a slot into the chrome head cover and it seems like an inexpensive solution to my problem.

Yeah.jpg
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #3 - 11/18/13 at 05:11:17

Ragnar444 wrote on 11/17/13 at 22:28:26:
Tried cutting a slot into the chrome head cover and it seems like an inexpensive solution to my problem.

Good idea, can I steel that from you?  Smiley
Do you have a shot from the front?
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/18/13 at 13:03:45

Here's a view from the front Gerry. Still trying to get the hang of using a Dremel tool. Scratched the chrome a bit.

front_view.jpg
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #5 - 11/18/13 at 16:35:19

Thanks Ragnar444
Looks nice in photo.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 11/18/13 at 23:03:40

Mechanical friggin' genious !  K.I.S.S. at its finest, cause all ya really need to do is hold it down on start eh?

Do you have a spring on the bottom side to return it up? or do you have to physically return it to the up position?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/19/13 at 13:21:36

I just used the stock return spring. Had to carve out a lot of material to get it to operate smoothly. Tongue

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #8 - 11/20/13 at 05:20:01

I have used a  normal cable - probably a bicycle brake cable.   I then used a normal sort of brake/clutch lever.    But it seems to crank without using the lever at all.    There is no special way, just pull and press start, in the old days, all thumpers had them. You just pulled the lever and tried to kick it before it kicked you back.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/20/13 at 05:44:41

keith pearson wrote on 11/20/13 at 05:20:01:
I have used a  normal cable - probably a bicycle brake cable.   I then used a normal sort of brake/clutch lever.    But it seems to crank without using the lever at all.    There is no special way, just pull and press start, in the old days, all thumpers had them. You just pulled the lever and tried to kick it before it kicked you back.  

I have also used a throttle cable kit and Honda Hot Start lever, and the lever has proven not to be long enough for me to get enough leverage to push the valves open if they are closed when I pull the lever.  I need to find a longer lever and get it mounted....I am going to try and find a bicycle brake lever that will work.

About 99 times it starts wiithout issue......every once in a while the piston is on the compression stroke when I hit the starter button and the starter cannot push my Wiseco piston up.....and the starter stalls and stops moving.  I immediately let off the starter button and the piston goes back down.....and then when I hit the button again it has moved down far enough that it can get some  momentum built up  to overcome the compression and it works the second time.  I know this is putting a bit of a strain on the starter motor.

I have to take into consideration that I don't ride when the weather gets below 50 degrees - so anyone that rides in really cold weather and starts the bike when the oil is thick and the battery is weak.....probably needs to be using the decompression feature.  I can't help but believe that Suzuki would not have put this system on if it was not needed....it is a complex system and they could save a lot of money if they left it off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #10 - 11/21/13 at 06:53:34

yes, it must be very expensive . But when I started building my bike, the engine came without any electricals like that, so I thought a lever and cable would  simplify things. I won't be riding mine in the cold either.

IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/21/13 at 21:27:41

Will have to rewire a few switches in order to allow for starting with the clutch released. Running that wire to the front or rear brake switch seems simple enough.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 11/22/13 at 14:48:50

Or simply have a large rubber band on hand to hold the clutch lever in while starting.

Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/22/13 at 17:57:48

Thanks for the helpful hints everyone. Ryca offers a simple rewiring diagram for this problem. Should have looked there first.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompresion lever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.