Send Topic Print
strange ticking.... (Read 233 times)
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Re: strange ticking....
Reply #15 - 11/14/13 at 16:36:45

so I pulled the tensioner off to see what the big fuss is,yup,my cat curiosity is dead now,but I got to thinking,do I have to replace the cam chain also or  just the tensioner?

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 11/14/13 at 19:27:26

Anebv8, as far as I can work out from your photo, your tensioner is out to about 31 mm. If you installed a Verslagen one on the second/outer hole you could recover up to 28 mm of this and perhaps avoid replacing the chain for some time. These measurements were taken by a mechanical no hoper with a pair of cheap plastic calipers. I got the photo of the Versy off the top part of RSD and "measured" the two holes centre to centre, approximiatly. You need to price the chain at a Dealership and see if the chain and tensioner are more than $260 NZ

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #17 - 11/14/13 at 19:54:44

How much does Versey's tensioner go for?  I'm going to need one sooner than later.  Thanks.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #18 - 11/14/13 at 20:11:30

jcstokes wrote on 11/14/13 at 19:27:26:
Anebv8, as far as I can work out from your photo, your tensioner is out to about 31 mm. If you installed a Verslagen one on the second/outer hole you could recover up to 28 mm of this and perhaps avoid replacing the chain for some time. These measurements were taken by a mechanical no hoper with a pair of cheap plastic calipers. I got the photo of the Versy off the top part of RSD and "measured" the two holes centre to centre, approximiatly. You need to price the chain at a Dealership and see if the chain and tensioner are more than $260 NZ

can almost guarantee it'll be over NZ$260,will ring tomorrow,here comes a retarded question,if I replace the chain,would I have to change the tensioner,as the plunger just pushes in,or does the grooves that stop it sliding back in wear off as it wears out? Only asking as the new chain would be tighter and hold the tensioner plunger further in its housing

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #19 - 11/15/13 at 03:12:29

You can put in a new chain.  It'll last another 20,000 kilometers then need to be replaced again.  You'll still have the time bomb tensioner in there. The existing tensioner will be fine for that time if you install a new chain.

The big 2 things about Versy's tensioner are the extra hole so you can double the life of the chain and that it's pinned so the plunger can't fall out of the bore and kill your engine when the chain stretches too far.

If you install a new chain, check the condition of the chain guides.  If worn, replace them with the chain.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #20 - 11/20/13 at 20:20:05

I suspect my cc is starting to stretch a bit.  Does the ticking sound increase and decrease with the rpm?  It almost sounds like it a winding noise when the rpm decease.  Is this a fair assessment?  Thanks for your insight, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 11/20/13 at 23:09:49

pg wrote on 11/20/13 at 20:20:05:
I suspect my cc is starting to stretch a bit.  Does the ticking sound increase and decrease with the rpm?  It almost sounds like it a winding noise when the rpm decease.  Is this a fair assessment?  Thanks for your insight, best regards.  

yeah,it keeps a nice beat with the motor,stick a screwdriver to the top of the motor and put ya ear on it, and do the same by your rear brake lever,it sounds soothing  lol

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 21:41:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › strange ticking....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.