Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking for a "Double-Up" bike (Read 206 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Looking for a "Double-Up" bike
11/10/13 at 04:26:16

I sold my Trials bike last week.....I sure do miss it now that it is gone - but the reality is that I haven't ridden it much all summer as I have been riding my Cafe' bike whenever I get an urge to ride.  It is a bit sad to realize I will most likely never own another trials or dirt bike.

I am looking for a bike that I can ride "comfortably" with my wife on the back.  The Kawasaki Super Sherpa I owned was a dual sport and had too little seat for the both of us, I sold it to get my Savage.  I then bought the Savage. and the stock seat was great for me, but still not comfortable for her to ride for more than 1/2 hour.  Our heads were about the same height and she did not have much of a view, and we banged helmets when I shifted gears or slowed down quickly.  If I want her to go riding with me and enjoy it......I need something with a "Big Comfy Couch" on the back.

A new bike is just too expensive and I must find a used bike that is affordable.  This is what I am looking at:

Honda ST1100 - A used one can be bought for about the same price as a used Savage.  Nice examples in the 1994 to 2000 year models generally have about 60,000 miles and sell for about $ 3,500.  I am going to look at a used one today.  The lady owner just can't reach the ground and she has tipped over twice.  She bought a BMW which has a lower set height.  The bike may be a bit tall for me as well.

Honda ST1300 -This bike is an improved version of the ST1100.  The engine was lowered and the seat has a height adjustment, and the windshield can be lowered or raised electrically with the push of a button.  The price of these is a bit too much.......they seem to go for about $ 6,000 and up....although I hve seen a couple for $ 2,800 that have 120,000 miles on them.  I rode a 2009 model at a dealer yesterday that was very nice - but $ 9,000 is just not in my budget.  I had not planned on riding it and only went to the dealer to check the seat height and see how I fit.  If I really scootch around on the seat I can get flat footed - but normal seating places my toes firmly on the ground and my heals up about 1/2 inch.  They were putting a tag on it when I got there as another fellow wanted to ride it - so I took a long lap after he was done.  It is very smooth and really quiet at riding speeds - at idle the engine made a whirring sound that was louder than I expected.  The bike rode very nicely and did not feel monstrous - although it sure looks big.  The electric windshield sure was nice - but when lowered it pushed the air in a way that made my full face helmet noisey.

Suzuki 1000 VStrom - Last night on the way home from the dealer I stopped by a friends house to help him bleed the brakes on his car.  He has a VStrom and he and his wife love riding double up on it.  They went on a 5,000 mile trip and she says it is the most comfortable bike she has ever ridden on the back of.  I took it for a ride....and it really is tall.  I can touch "tippy toe"....nothing else.  The bike engine was really quiet and and a ton of power and really pulled strong when you added throttle.  I grabbed a hand full of throttle leaving a STOP sign, and the bike launched forward and raised the front wheel about a foot before I could let off the throttle......that was a real surprise!  It accelerated so fast it even made me a bit dizzy......I can't remember the last time I rode something that quick.  The bike can be fitted with lots of baggage and racks - but my initial reaction is that I want something with a lower seat and more wind protection.

Kawaski Concours - I have looked at a few of these but not ridden one.  The new ones are too expensive, the older ones just look too old and are not my style.  The luggage just looks like you stuck some black suitcases on the bike.  These are supposed to be pretty fast....not something I need.

Honda Pacific Coast - Deb and I sat on one of these when we were at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, and it sits really nice and used one are really cheap.  There is luggage space - but not enough and it looks hard to add any.  You could not add a rack as the entire back of the bike and seat hinges up to provide access to the stock storage compartment.  The bike looks like a motorcycle up front - but it looks like a motor scooter on the back.  They are supposed to be reliable.

BMW K series - My friend thinks I should look at these.  They are affordable and the seat height is supposed to be good for shorter riders.  I am not horribly anxious to get a bike with so limited of dealers in case I go somewhere and something brakes.....however even my Suzuki dealer takes a week to get me any parts.

So I am still looking to see what might be a possible bike.  I have not seen any "cruiser" bikes that are affordable and meet our riding position or baggage needs.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Looking for a "Double-Up" bike
Reply #1 - 11/10/13 at 05:13:12

There is luggage space - but not enough and it looks hard to any any.

One thing is sure in life, when its time for a little "any any" no one wants to be cramped..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/10/13 at 05:16:03

JOG....Fixed it.

Maybe that was a Freudian slip......cause it is twice as hard to get "any" if the little woman aint happy!

IP Logged
irondad01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Osceola Mills, PA
Reply #3 - 11/10/13 at 05:35:24

Maybe not your style but have you looked at the super scooters? I never rode one but the people I talked to who own them seem to love them. I was looking at a Suzuki 650 Burgman and really liked what it had to offer. Lots of storage and wind protection and a huge seat. I guess they have plenty of power for long rides two up. The prices for used ones don't seem bad.   Carl

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/10/13 at 05:44:24

A Burgman will Eat the Savage alive from a standing start, On Up..Theyze some bad Mo Dees..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 11/10/13 at 06:37:40

Kawasaki Nomad. Used ones are finally starting to come down in price. Very low seat height, huge by ginormous windshield. 1500/1600/1700cc versions. The 1500 is more than sufficient, the 1600 has hideous wheels and the 1700 is a 2 wheeled monster. The current version is the Vaquero, a bit pricey.

If I needed hard bags, that's the bike I'd be looking at.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 11/10/13 at 13:48:46

I have never seen a Pacific Coast in person, or seen one for sale on Craigslist in my area. If I could get a used one for cheap, that would really interest me!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/10/13 at 15:01:53

If passenger comfort is primary,.. an old GL500 Honda is pretty good...
Fugly thing though... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 11/10/13 at 15:24:58

An old Goldwing is a great ride.  They are very reliable, plenty of room, like riding a couch down the highway, and quite heavy.  The six cylinder Kaw Voyager is a great ride too.

The prices I've seen on GL500's around here, you'd think they were made out of gold. I've looked at a couple but they just wouldn't get real with the asking price.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 11/10/13 at 16:06:05

I've owned a Burgman 650 and yes it will put the Savage to shame (along with a lot of cruiser type bikes)  Grin One of the problems I had with the super scooter was that passengers kept falling asleep on me LOL.
Any flavor of the Gold Wing would be good.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/10/13 at 16:46:30

The wife and I went and test rode a 2000 ST1100 this afternoon, and we bought it.  It has about 34,000 miles on it and is in good shape.  Just a few scratches on the luggage as the owner has had "tip overs" twice.  The owner is not very long legged and can't reach the ground well, and she is just not strong enough to muscle it up once it started over.  It was $ 3,500, and I figure we can ride it for a year or two and still get that for it in case we decide it is not the right bike or my wife doesn't like riding on the back of it.

I just have too many meetings to pick it up this week, and Dang.....the winter weather is bound to be here by the time I get the bike.  I have a feeling this winter is going to pass very slowly......I can spend some of the time taking off the pink Dragon and Motor Maids decals!
Dave

P1030539.jpg

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/10/13 at 16:53:19

Put some stickers on it... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/10/13 at 17:09:20

Attaboyyy Dave!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 11/10/13 at 17:48:42

Looks really clean, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/10/13 at 17:57:59

Serowbot wrote on 11/10/13 at 16:53:19:

Aaaaack!  Gmmmph!....eck,eck,eck.......Pooey.  That sure is ugly, but I guess that is not the undercover Police bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looking for a "Double-Up" bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.