Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust help....?
Reply #15 - 11/18/13 at 03:51:32

Loud pipes are not heard by the people that pull out in front of you, turn left in front of you, or run red lights.  The only people that hear your loud pipes are the ones directly behind you, or the ones right beside you.  The people behind you aleady know you are there.....the only situation that I can conceed that loud pipes get attention is to the driver that might be going to change lanes and has not seen you beside them.  In that situation the bike only needs to have a DYNA......not a straight pipe to be heard.  There are very few bikes made that are so silent that they won't be heard next to you....mostly the big touring bikes like the Goldwing, BMW, etc.

My wife and I were down in North Carolina last month and did some hiking in the Blue Ridge mountians.  It was a big weekend for bikes and on our hikes we could be 2 miles from the road and hear the big Harleys with straight pipes bellowing through the valleys.....there is really no reason for anyone to be that rude.  I have no idea why anyone would want to make that much noise.....or why anyone would want to ride with them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 11/19/13 at 09:04:29

Dave said:

Quote:
... there is really no reason for anyone to be that rude.  I have no idea why anyone would want to make that much noise.....or why anyone would want to ride with them.

zackly

along with this, it REALLY annoys me how such feckless behavior makes most of the public hate us all,... not just just those sans feck.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/19/13 at 11:32:46

I agree that straight pipes are too loud, both for the surrounding public and the rider himself.  If you need earplugs to ride your own bike, it's too loud.  On occasion, I've needed earplugs to work on someone's bike.  How they could hear anything over that is beyond me.

But I disagree and will state you're being a little contradictory... can be heard 2 miles away, but not a couple a hundred feet in front.  Ignored or misinterpreted is more likely.  Difficulties in seeing a single point of light with the balance of the bike fading into the black makes them hard to see.  Just the same as overwhelming noise obliterating the direction from whence it comes.  We've all heard sirens and not been able to determine from what direction they came till they suddenly appeared on your bumper.

I have an unmodified dyna or sportster muf on my bike right now and I would say that it's no louder than a stock muf.

WWW   IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #18 - 11/19/13 at 19:31:52

Gyrobob wrote on 11/17/13 at 19:14:49:
trini tuner said:

Quote:
It doesn't matter how you put it a louder than stock muffler IS a safety feature. ... crack the throttle with a nice muffler and it does more than just get the attention of drivers. That's something we learned in the MSF course.

Wrong.  We have been through this many times.

Any MSF course I have been associated with said just the opposite: loud pipes are less safe.  They not only piss off the general public about all motorcyclists, they distract,.. making people on the bikes and in the cages make decisions that are less safe.

Your entitled to your own opinion. Mines is that the stock muffler on this bike is way too quiet and makes it sound like a sewing machine and that adding a nice baffle such as a dyna makes it indeed safer to ride because the cagers will know your there even before they see you or not.

I understand what you said about loud pipes distracting people and making it less safe but really now were talking about straight pipe territory, not what I had in mind.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 11/20/13 at 19:14:16

Quote:

Any MSF course I have been associated with said just the opposite: loud pipes are less safe.  They not only piss off the general public about all motorcyclists, they distract,.. making people on the bikes and in the cages make decisions that are less safe.

Your entitled to your own opinion. Mines is that the stock muffler on this bike is way too quiet and makes it sound like a sewing machine and that adding a nice baffle such as a dyna makes it indeed safer to ride because the cagers will know your there even before they see you or not.

I understand what you said about loud pipes distracting people and making it less safe but really now were talking about straight pipe territory, not what I had in mind.

It's not an opinion.  
-- Being loud has nothing but negative consequences,.. the manufacturers, the safety organizations, the government studies, etc., have ALL shown the cagers are more likely to cause loud bikes harm than quiet bikes.  Just plain fact.  
-- And,.. there is that bad PR factor.  Every time we go for a ride, we can either irritate people or we can behave nicely.  Loud pipes irritate people. It is a nasty thing to be a negative "ambassador."

I didn't want to restart another loud pipe war.  Those who just like loud pipes will continue to use them because they just like loud pipes.  I know that.  The loudpiper crowd just doesn't care enough about losses in performance, hearing loss, or making the public hate all motorcyclists to do anything about it.  They will always be with us.  Few will listen to the facts,.. maybe because their ears are so shot they can't hear anything.  Wink

« Last Edit: 11/22/13 at 16:41:20 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 11/20/13 at 19:58:10

Look at the muffler section asSerowbot suggested. He put the pics on there for me (Boofer) The muffler cost $20-30 from a pile in a guy's yard. It fits a Nightrain and a Low, I think. I used stock Suzuki bracket used a Dr Pepper can wrapped around header for a gasket. No offset adapter required and used stock clamp. Covered the ugly up with a JC Whitney heat shield. 80 decibels stamped on the muff. Project time one hour and no rejet. Been on about 10,000 miles. Life is simple or hard as you want to make it. I'd rather be riding. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #21 - 11/22/13 at 07:09:01

Hi. My daughter and I put together a Ryca CS-1 kit a couple of years ago, converting a Savage to a cafe racer. The kit supplied an EMGO 17" Shorty reverse cone megaphone muffler. It is a minimal muffler with a re-packable baffle. I have done a couple of re-packings and even did a crumb cup modification, but it never has not been anti-socially loud.

I found a simple solution for me, at least. I recently installed an EMGO 26" reverse cone megaphone muffler (part # 80-84034, $60). It retains the right look, but makes significantly less noise. It is socially acceptable now. A plus is that the baffle is a non-removable, mechanical design that does not require frequent re-packing.

I hope this post is useful to Ryca guys/gals looking to make their bike less edgy. Wink

Here are photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/117060066392539786618/_RycaWith26ReverseConeMega...

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #22 - 11/22/13 at 11:15:55

In the UK we can get copies of the old BURGESS exhausts, I have put one on mine.  It fit directly to the Savage pipe.    Try googling FEKED  , or look for Burgess silencers on Ebay, they are a straight through with absorbtion  packing , and are of nice heavy metal well chromed.      

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #23 - 11/23/13 at 08:14:37

Gyrobob wrote on 11/20/13 at 19:14:16:
Quote:

It's not an opinion.  
-- Being loud has nothing but negative consequences,.. the manufacturers, the safety organizations, the government studies, etc., have ALL shown the cagers are more likely to cause loud bikes harm than quiet bikes.  Just plain fact.  
-- And,.. there is that bad PR factor.  Every time we go for a ride, we can either irritate people or we can behave nicely.  Loud pipes irritate people. It is a nasty thing to be a negative "ambassador."

I didn't want to restart another loud pipe war.  Those who just like loud pipes will continue to use them because they just like loud pipes.  I know that.  The loudpiper crowd just doesn't care enough about losses in performance, hearing loss, or making the public hate all motorcyclists to do anything about it.  They will always be with us.  Few will listen to the facts,.. maybe because their ears are so shot they can't hear anything.  Wink

Well I don't mean to start up another loud pipe war either but seriously? Being loud has NOTHING but negative consequences? What studies and scientific research do you have to back up your opinion? It sounds like a lot of biased opinions to me. Honestly ive seen a couple of those studies and they conclude that yes when you have a straight pipe and you say open the throttle next to someone in their car then yes its REALLY loud and our stress levels increase and makes for some hasty decision making which is no good. Again im still talking about the noise of an unrestricted dyna on our wonderful thumpers. Losses of power, making all of the general public hate us? I think not.

Most accidents happen because people don't notice a motorcycle.
Loud pipes make you more noticeable.
Therefore loud pipes can save your life or help you to avoid accidents.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 11/23/13 at 09:47:44

trini tuner said
Quote:

Well I don't mean to start up another loud pipe war either but seriously? Being loud has NOTHING but negative consequences? What studies and scientific research do you have to back up your opinion? It sounds like a lot of biased opinions to me. Honestly ive seen a couple of those studies and they conclude that yes when you have a straight pipe and you say open the throttle next to someone in their car then yes its REALLY loud and our stress levels increase and makes for some hasty decision making which is no good. Again im still talking about the noise of an unrestricted dyna on our wonderful thumpers. Losses of power, making all of the general public hate us? I think not.

Most accidents happen because people don't notice a motorcycle.
Loud pipes make you more noticeable.
Therefore loud pipes can save your life or help you to avoid accidents.

"Sounds like a lot of biased opinions to me"  Whenever someone with a faulty opinion like yours sees facts to the contrary, that someone usually does make accusations of biased opinions since he has a lot of difficulty accepting the facts that blow holes in his "argument."

"Losses of power, making all of the general public hate us? I think not."  Wrong again.  Ask anyone here.  
-- Ask any harly toad that can actually think.  If you take a stock motorcycle, take off the stock muffler, and replace it with loud pipes, it will make less horsepower.
-- Ask any average citizen if they think it is annoying or cool when a motorcycle is loud.  
   --- The fact you "think not" is pretty much incorrect.  
   --- The sad part is that there are zillions of loudpipers like you,... zillions of misguided individuals that embarrass the rest of us and make it less likely for legislators to give us an even break.  
   --- We do not have much leverage in the various levels and departments of government.  It is easy for them to give us a hard time since we don't have much power to prevent them from doing so and/or to undo something stupid.  

"Therefore loud pipes can save your life or help you to avoid accidents."  Exactly wrong.  Again.  Well, you did say "can," which I suppose leaves open the possiblility of loud pipes possibly being helpful.  This is just semantics.  The facts are, from all the REAL studies,... loud pipes have no positive aspects for safety OR for our public image.

IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #25 - 11/23/13 at 11:08:20

lol ok prove your theory with your "facts" or we can just agree to disagree.

And by the way replacing a stock restrictive muffler with a freer flowing, well designed one will in most cases yield more power after the necessary tuning adjustments. Yes even on a Harley, like my friends street bob with before and after dyno sheets.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 11/23/13 at 11:44:05

Ok, this has gone from a little helpful to full out BS.

you guys that are siting "studies" need to find references.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:24:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Exhaust help....?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.