SavageDiver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust help....?
11/09/13 at 17:22:01

hey all!

My next mod is  the exhaust.

Can some one tell me which exhaust to get. Which requires no jetting and I would like it to be a little louder than the stock.

I am a firm believer that a louder exhaust is a safety feature, and I do not mean the type of loud that neighbors want to torch your motorcycle.

I have been reading a lot about dyna exhaust, will dyna mod require jetting?

And is there specific dyna exhaust I'm suppose to get to fit my savage?

I owe a '98 model
Thank you

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Exhaust help....?
Reply #1 - 11/09/13 at 18:46:30

If you want a loud deeper note, look into a jardine.  Probably have to rejet.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 11/09/13 at 18:57:18

You may be a firm believer in loud exhaust safety, but beliefs are often not in line with reality.  Loud exhausts don't make anyone any safer,... they just create ill will toward ALL motorcyclists, including those of us with not-so-noisy bikes.

I don't want to fire up our standard loud-bike-awfulness war again,.. but I'll just say the previous discussions we have had on this showed no increase in safety, no positive effect on our image and relationship with the public, no additional horsepower, and no inclination for the loud-pipe-types change their minds about any of their "beliefs," so I won't try to change yours.  

Just keep in mind a lot of us are very embarrassed about our two-wheeled compatriots (especially harly toads) that like to piss off the public.

That said, I do see some hope in the way you phrased it,..."a little louder than stock."  
-- The stock exhaust is so well-muffled, it can easily get a "little louder than stock" and probably not piss anybody off.  
-- The RYCA I just built is louder than stock, but a little more than I would like,.. I have to keep the throttle pretty light when there are a lot of folks around.  
-- So, anyway, here's hoping your "little louder than stock" muffler project does everything you want and keeps the peeps happy.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 11/09/13 at 18:58:33

pg wrote on 11/09/13 at 18:46:30:
If you want a loud deeper note, look into a jardine.  Probably have to rejet.  

When I bought my 2002 SAvage, it had a Jardine.  It was a LOT louder than stock.  It sure had a lot of high heat colors on it though.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 11/09/13 at 19:14:49

I went to youtube to see and hear some different mods.  I decided to stay with the stock.  I think I would miss the back fires?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
SavageDiver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/09/13 at 23:29:05

I do agree with you and giving fellow riders a bad name is the last thing I would want.

When I said a little louder, maybe just a next step louder.  So car driver would have a clue that  i am in the vicinity.

From what I hear about jardine brand exhaust, is that it is a little too loud for what I am trying to accomplish.

Anybody knows if Dyna or Ryca exhaust needs Re-jetting ?

Gyrobob wrote on 11/09/13 at 18:57:18:
You may be a firm believer in loud exhaust safety, but beliefs are often not in line with reality.  Loud exhausts don't make anyone any safer,... they just create ill will toward ALL motorcyclists, including those of us with not-so-noisy bikes.

I don't want to fire up our standard loud-bike-awfulness war again,.. but I'll just say the previous discussions we have had on this showed no increase in safety, no positive effect on our image and relationship with the public, no additional horsepower, and no inclination for the loud-pipe-types change their minds about any of their "beliefs," so I won't try to change yours.  

Just keep in mind a lot of us are very embarrassed about our two-wheeled compatriots (especially harly toads) that like to piss off the public.

That said, I do see some hope in the way you phrased it,..."a little louder than stock."  
-- The stock exhaust is so well-muffled, it can easily get a "little louder than stock" and probably not piss anybody off.  
-- The RYCA I just built is louder than stock, but a little more than I would like,.. I have to keep the throttle pretty light when there are a lot of folks around.  
-- So, anyway, here's hoping your "little louder than stock" muffler project does everything you want and keeps the peeps happy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/10/13 at 03:23:32

The dyna isnt offensive at6 all.. cheap, good lookin, easy to jet to. I wish I had done that instead of dropping $400.00 on the Supertrapp. Trapp is a good setup, for sure, but the Dyna delivers almost the same power boost, sounds really good & is MUCH better looking Aaaand leaves about $380.00 dollars in the pocket for tires & gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #7 - 11/10/13 at 05:50:54

I think you should be able to get by not having to rejet after a dyna muffler conversion-- if the dyna hasn't been modified.  Try to look through the dyna.  You shouldn't see daylight.  If you do, the blocking plate in the muffler has been drilled or knocked out, making the muffler much more free-flowing and loud.  If the plate is missing, you can replace it by driving a auto engine freeze plug into the muffler.

IP Logged
SavageDiver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/10/13 at 08:37:25

Thanks suzukisavage forum!

bobert_FSO wrote on 11/10/13 at 05:50:54:
I think you should be able to get by not having to rejet after a dyna muffler conversion-- if the dyna hasn't been modified.  Try to look through the dyna.  You shouldn't see daylight.  If you do, the blocking plate in the muffler has been drilled or knocked out, making the muffler much more free-flowing and loud.  If the plate is missing, you can replace it by driving a auto engine freeze plug into the muffler.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 11/10/13 at 09:20:19

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #10 - 11/11/13 at 10:21:14

SavageDiver wrote on 11/09/13 at 23:29:05:
I do agree with you and giving fellow riders a bad name is the last thing I would want.

When I said a little louder, maybe just a next step louder. So car driver would have a clue that  i am in the vicinity.
From what I hear about jardine brand exhaust, is that it is a little too loud for what I am trying to accomplish.

Anybody knows if Dyna or Ryca exhaust needs Re-jetting ?

Gyrobob wrote on 11/09/13 at 18:57:18:

It doesn't matter how you put it a louder than stock muffler IS a safety feature. drag pipe loud is annoying not only to the neighbors and everyone else but also to the rider. When you need to get someone's attention on the road on your bike they're not always going to respond to the little meep meep horn, crack the throttle with a nice muffler and it does more than just get the attention of drivers. That's something we learned in the MSF course.
To the original poster, look into getting one of the Harley dyna baffles that are mentioned on here, they are a great baffle for our bikes and cheap.

IP Logged
sscala

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #11 - 11/12/13 at 15:07:00

I have the pipe from Blue Collar Bobbers on my bike.  Nice straight pipe with a nice little rumble.  Not too loud, not too quiet.

http://www.bluecollarbobbers.com/m/savage.html

Stephen
2011 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 11/13/13 at 07:22:15

Dyna or Sportster muffler. Replace your horn with a car alarm siren, wired in like the horn was. Looks neat, extremely loud, may not technically be legal where you live.

My bike sounds like a helicopter, 12" steel pack muffler and 29" tailpipe extension. Lancer's stock bike with a Dyna is LOUD, his custom with a small muffler sounds like a big bore 2 stroke... ever heard one of the old 750 2 stroke singles... his Savage puts them to shame in the LOUD department. BUT, with all the mods, if it feels like behaving it will eat a 1500 Kawi pretty handily...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 11/17/13 at 19:14:49

trini tuner said:

Quote:
It doesn't matter how you put it a louder than stock muffler IS a safety feature. ... crack the throttle with a nice muffler and it does more than just get the attention of drivers. That's something we learned in the MSF course.

Wrong.  We have been through this many times.

Any MSF course I have been associated with said just the opposite: loud pipes are less safe.  They not only piss off the general public about all motorcyclists, they distract,.. making people on the bikes and in the cages make decisions that are less safe.

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #14 - 11/17/13 at 20:24:58

If you think louder is a safety feature do a little research on the Doppler effect and sound waves.  I realize that high school Physics was a long time ago for some of us

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Exhaust help....?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.