Send Topic Print
Clutch Question. (Read 59 times)
Xeno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch Question.
11/09/13 at 11:46:23

Looking to replace my clutch wondering if anyone had any input on whats the best option. Ryca kit.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Clutch Question.
Reply #1 - 11/09/13 at 12:16:55

First, you ask these sorts of questions in RSD after you research the Index to see if there is a topic (oh yeah, there is a topic or 3).  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927/

and vola, it is under "C" for clutch on the second page, several threads worth.

======================

And you can use the Search function up top to find all those endless clutch wars and all the "explain the chrome lever position to the newbie for the 5,000th time" discussions.

"..... anyone had any input on whats the best option?"  

Read the threads, then buy some longer clutch rods after you find out what length you already have.   Clean your steel friction and steel plates and lightly sand them with an orbital sander using 220 grit paper.  Use the clutch rod that puts the chrome lever inside the marks on the main cases.  This is the best advice.

Second best is to slap a Barnett clutch and springs in there if you are a "just gotta replace that clutch" sorta person.

"Technically best/cheapest" is to go on Ebone and buy a kevlar clutch pack cheap for an SV650 since it uses the same disks.   You wind up with an extra plate or two, but if it is CHEAP ENOUGH then they are free to you.

Some are like that, I know.   Cheap that is.       Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/09/13 at 14:43:32

If I was gonna do anything that meant there would be stouter springs in there Id take the throwout cam to a machine shop & have one cut from steel,, These things are sintered metal,, note how that rhymes with splintered metal,,

I had one break, a few others have seen them fail. When mine went it was at less than 20 MPH & it still goobered up the cam chain guide the tensioner is attached to,,At highway speeds it coulda been a DeeZaster,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Xeno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/09/13 at 19:12:02

Sorry for asking in the wrong spot newer here. Would adjusting the rod change the fact that when I get into third gear and up the motor revs but no power?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/09/13 at 20:47:01

Oil would be more likely the culprit. As long as there is no pressure from the lever holding the clutch springs from completely crushing the clutch pack that rod is out of the equation,, Is there some slack in your clutch lever? You otta be able to swing it in & out a bit,, with just one fingertip..

The rod length affects where the throwout paddle starts getting pressure.
& its good to have it start getting pressure on it as close to the axis it rotates on as soon as possible without pressing the rod sideways in its tube,, there are marks on the case to show where its supposed to be loaded up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/09/13 at 21:57:12

Make sure the cable adjustment is loose... 1/8" gap between the lever and perch.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:37:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Clutch Question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.