Send Topic Print
intro. (Read 276 times)
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

intro.
11/08/13 at 21:46:21

So i finally found a bike, picked up a 2002 with 6500 miles for just 500$
Came home jumped it from my car, it started right up, just had a dead battery.
fwiw, sounded pretty good, and the body is in decent shape.

Only issue i found was there seems to be slow oil leak from the 2 bolts just under the intake and exhaust.

Until i get the time to begin working on the bike, im itching to know if these are going to be a problem...

I plan to take take apart the head and cylinder for an inspection, over head cams are new to me, as ive been driving a honda CG clone with OHV... who can point me to a thread on the process

savage_6_Large.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: intro.
Reply #1 - 11/08/13 at 21:58:52

Heck man,.. it started right up...  don't tear it apart at 6500 miles... it's barley broke-in... (just give it an oil/filter change)...
Those 2 nuts tend to vibrate loose,.. just snug them up (but, don't break them trying to stop a leak... if snugging don't stop it,.. take them off and put a dab of RTV or locktite blue on them)...
...also, check the header flange bolts every oil change, but don;t locktite those... use anti-seize on any exhaust bolts...
We hardly ever have head or cylinder trouble... a plug under the head cover sometimes leaks... (easy fix)..
The stock petcock is a problem... (easy fix)...
...and at around 12k miles, check the cam chain adjuster... we have a modded one available... (it can fall out and explode the engine,.. Verslagen sells a pinned one that can't fall out)...

Also,... raising the front of the seat an inch or two helps with comfort...
Then,.. just ride... Wink...
... Welcome to SS.Com...

Other than that,.. you'll need a stator every 30 to 50k,... and the usual tires, air filter, spark plug, and battery... every couple years...
Run Shell Rotella, or Rotella T oil every 3k or so... and keep the idle speed up to a purr, avoid a slow, stumbly, lope,... and this bike will usually be good for 70 to 100k before internal work is needed...
Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 11/09/13 at 00:26:48

What BOT Said Smiley +1 WELCOME!  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 11/09/13 at 00:58:57

The experts are probably right, leave the internals alone.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/09/13 at 11:34:25

Dude! What are planning on fixing in there? Its running,, ride it.. Get a healthy battery in it,, dont wanna be sucking juice thru that poor little charging system to charge a battery up,, have it tested. If its good, then run it,, if not, get a fresh one in it,\
If you dont have a volt meter in your tools, you need one, these things are notorious for not starting, even when theyre spinning over nicely. The battery has to have 12.5 V to get it fired up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/10/13 at 20:25:50

Well I'm the sort of person that cant leave well enough alone...
I'm going to convert this into a bobber.

Ive been speaking to Super Thumper about doing a complete performance mod on the engine.

But you all are rite, its kind of a shame to disturb a bike with such little usage... but it has to be done...

more to come...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 11/11/13 at 00:30:11

Nice starting point. If you are going to bob it out, I need your windshield... mine is a 1940s style now, for year round use. Used to run high bars, went back to low bars, need a shield to be period correct. Even have a drum front wheel now... and Knuckle/Pan/Vincent style perches and levers. Hard tail swap and 6" frame stretch to run a 4.75 gallon Mustang tank is in it future, along with a chain conversion...

Bobbers have been a bit overdone, go for something unique, like a street legal board track racer with 21" wheels front and rear...

My heap...

... just to show you that ANYTHING is possible with one of these as your starting point.

Make it yours, keep it fun, enjoy the process. Welcome to the family.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/11/13 at 10:58:01

WD wrote on 11/11/13 at 00:30:11:
Nice starting point. If you are going to bob it out, I need your windshield... mine is a 1940s style now, for year round use. Used to run high bars, went back to low bars, need a shield to be period correct. Even have a drum front wheel now... and Knuckle/Pan/Vincent style perches and levers. Hard tail swap and 6" frame stretch to run a 4.75 gallon Mustang tank is in it future, along with a chain conversion...

Bobbers have been a bit overdone, go for something unique, like a street legal board track racer with 21" wheels front and rear...

My heap...

... just to show you that ANYTHING is possible with one of these as your starting point.

Make it yours, keep it fun, enjoy the process. Welcome to the family.

That is kind of different isn't it.  Its yours alrite..
Yes ill post all the chopped parts as time goes on and you got dibs on the shield, but im not any rush right now. just absorbing everything.

Funny enough i already have a bike i love, a hard-tail springer, only the engine is a way underpowered single 250cc, i couldn't stand it anymore.

so truth be told im going to build more or less the same bike i have now...  perhaps minus the springer unless i find an awesome deal on a set for this bike.  doubt that exists though, i dont think im willing to shell out more for a set than i did for the entire bike...

otherwise im slowly starting to collect parts...  looking for:

- peanut tank
- hard tail or ill fab some struts on my lathe
- some straight bars with a rise or ape hanger
- a 5 or 6 inch rear fender
- fab some billet foot pegs.
- solo seat of course and hardware...

so many possibilities.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 11/11/13 at 13:36:54

axa, post up some pics of the 250, so we can see what your aiming for.

There are several posts on bobbing and ryca'ing the thumper... I plan on a future buy and bobber also...looking forward to your posts... lots of pics please! LOL Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/11/13 at 21:14:52

The typical flat black rat...

complete_003_Large.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 11/12/13 at 06:59:28

Where are you located? A few of us run across deals on springers from time to time. I know the used section at one of the local indie shops has one with twisted front legs (intentionally twisted, not wrecked) for $300, w/o axle and wheel. Could have gotten the same deal on a couple other ones where I used to live.

Apehangers and stock Savage risers do not get along very well. I ran 13.5" rise from 2003-2005, 15" rise from 2006-2011. Both bars had to have the riser caps drilled, the bar drilled, and a self tapping screw inserted to lock the bar in place. The factory riser caps are very soft, and the risers are set too far apart for standard Harley Davidson bar knurling to be of much use.

Mine used to look like this...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/12/13 at 10:00:52

So you say apes have to be drilled into?
gosh id hate to drill and tap only to get it wrong and have trouble tweaking the bars a bit.
I might just do a raised straight bar, in that case there is no tweaking the angle...

Im in the north east, not too far from NYC.
You know the over priced, over taxed part of the country, machine shops, indie shops have just about disappeared, im going to be work with super thumper up in VT closest shop who knows this bike well..
I suppose ill need to keep my eyes open for a spring front end, but i dont expecting much...

I like the disturbed paint.  the ls650 does NOT look well aged, at least mine didn't.  So i figure Ill have to find a thread on painting the entire engine and transmission

Also if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, ill explore a nice fat rear tire...
Perhaps i can recoup some $ selling mine tire and rim, both in great shape...

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.
Im pretty psyched about starting on this bike, just wish i could find the time between the day job, and the nite job... Undecided

« Last Edit: 11/12/13 at 12:20:10 by axa »  
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/12/13 at 10:04:20

WD wrote on 11/11/13 at 00:30:11:
Hard tail swap and 6" frame stretch

So you got a 6" stretch?  i think i might have the option of a 4 or 6.
Which would you recommend, and why?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 11/12/13 at 10:23:32

axa wrote on 11/12/13 at 10:00:52:
So you say apes have to be drilled into?
gosh id hate to drill and tap only to get it wrong and have trouble tweaking the bars a bit.
I might just do a raised straight bar, in that case there is no tweaking the angle...

I picked up these used bars from a Dyna Wide Glide - I think they are about a 8-10" rise and was able to install them without pinning them. I have not had a problem, but your results may vary. At a minimum you could ride with them for a month or so without pins to determine the exact angle you want them pinned at.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/12/13 at 13:31:49

This is might be a nice front end, minus the bicycle grips.
Wish i could see how it looks whole.
I don't like how there is no way to adjust reach though.

strait, high, and sprung.

And how about this for a rear

springers for your hard tail, awesome...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › intro.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.