Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
K&N filter sound and performance? (Read 254 times)
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
K&N filter sound and performance?
11/07/13 at 11:37:21

Hi everybody,
Just bought a K&N filter. I also have a muffler short pipe with less resistance and have made a rejet of the carb to 155 main and 55 pilot. Also made the white spacer fix and reduced the spacer by around half of the original. I have read different opinions about the results of adding a podfilter. Is there anyone on the forum how has made something similar? Did it change the sound? Did you get better performance?  

KN.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: K&N filter sound and performance?
Reply #1 - 11/07/13 at 11:47:05

Ohh, youre Gonna hear that thing pulling air when youre accelerating hard.
Ever turn the lid on the air cleaner on the car over? Changes the sound a lot,

My question to those whove put their air cleaner out in the elements is, How does rain affect the filter? What happens to performance when it gets wet?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #2 - 11/07/13 at 12:16:40

Interesting point, hope it wont be to sensetive to rain. My filter is going to come out on the side right above the batterybox, so it will be rather exposed.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #3 - 11/07/13 at 13:09:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/07/13 at 11:47:05:
Ohh, youre Gonna hear that thing pulling air when youre accelerating hard.
Ever turn the lid on the air cleaner on the car over? Changes the sound a lot,

My question to those whove put their air cleaner out in the elements is, How does rain affect the filter? What happens to performance when it gets wet?

I would also like to know that if anyone wants to jump in!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 11/07/13 at 16:17:07

Since the backside of that particular pod filter is fairly heavy plastic, you could get a black half-gallon jug (or gallon) and cut it to fit over the top to deflect rain, while leaving enough room for it to breath.

I'd take a picture of my old setup, but I sold that bike over 30 years ago. LOL  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 11/07/13 at 16:31:44

Henrik wrote on 11/07/13 at 12:16:40:
Interesting point, hope it wont be to sensetive to rain. My filter is going to come out on the side right above the batterybox, so it will be rather exposed.

Those filters don't flow very well anyway, so when it gets wet, it will choke off some more of the air.  You might be running a little rich until it dries out.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #6 - 11/07/13 at 19:17:14

does the stock filter breathe better?

I recently switched my "cold air intake" back to stock in my car and it feels way better! Never falling for that "cold air" nuts again

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 11/08/13 at 09:26:25

sesamestreet wrote on 11/07/13 at 19:17:14:

I recently switched my "cold air intake" back to stock in my car and it feels way better! Never falling for that "cold air" nuts again

I put a K&N cold air intake on my car 4 years ago and think it's great. About ten more horses, easier maintenance, and better sound.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 11/08/13 at 09:41:49

Gyrobob wrote on 11/07/13 at 16:31:44:
Henrik wrote on 11/07/13 at 12:16:40:

Those filters don't flow very well anyway, so when it gets wet, it will choke off some more of the air.  You might be running a little rich until it dries out.

I respectfully disagree- water passes through oil impregnated gauze filters as it doesn't stick to the oil. It will stick to dirt on the filter if the filter is really dirty though. I clean and re-oil my K&N filters once a year.
The one on the bike is still in the airbox, so it doesn't get wet, but the one in the car is open to the elements, (it has a splash guard, but is not enclosed, so it does get "misted" on a regular basis). If you "mist" a paper filter, such as by by turning the breather over, the water swells the paper filaments and chokes up the filter.
One other thing- if you stick the filter out the side on your bike, chances are you will get oil on your pants. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #9 - 11/08/13 at 13:20:40

darn i feel so dumb! Havent tought about that i have to oil the filter, guess i have to rethink about the position of the filter. Stupid question maybe, but how bad is it if i do not put oil to the filter?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 11/08/13 at 13:27:04

It's the oil that traps the dirt- the dirt actually sticks to it. Running them without oil will only trap the really big particles, and you may as well run a velocity stack with a screen on it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 11/08/13 at 18:16:29

arteacher wrote on 11/08/13 at 09:26:25:
sesamestreet wrote on 11/07/13 at 19:17:14:

I put a K&N cold air intake on my car 4 years ago and think it's great. About ten more horses, easier maintenance, and better sound.

I put a K&N on a Miata I had a few years ago and it seemed less powerful.  It was not a cold air system,.. just a replacement of the stock paper filter.  A few days after I put it on, I got on the Miata forums, and, sure enough, they had dyno results showing the car made more power with a new stock filter than with a K&N.

I helped a friend put a cold air intake K&N on a WRX a few years ago.  We didn't have a dyno, but he was using the time from 20 to 50 in second gear as a reference.  Over several days of testing both systems, the stock system's average was about the same as the system he spent a few hundred bucks on.  The days involved were sunny and the temp was around 65.

Here's a guy that showed the K&N got worse mileage.  Not very scientific, but it is at least one data point.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWIuOQ7dAo

There are lots of places on the internet where folks attempt to show K&N filters work better and lots of places where folks attempt to show stock filters work better.  Most of the former have an agenda favoring K&N.

From what I can gather:
-- the K&N filters provide no advantage if the stock filter is large enough.  
-- if the K&N is smaller than the stock filter, it will flow a lot less than the stock filter.  This gives me concern about the small K&N filter RYCA uses.
-- if the K&N filter is starting to get a little dirty, the flow rate decreases a LOT.
-- The K&N filters will show an improvement over stock if the stock filter is too small, and the K&N is larger than the stock filter.
-- Most of the info out there bragging about K&N is from people with an interest in seeing K&N do well.

I would suspect the same result on a Savage.  A clean stock filter will flow more air than a K&N by a little bit (depending on the size of the K&N) when the K&N is freshly serviced, and a lot more air after the K&N starts to load up with dirt.

K&N filters cost a lot.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #12 - 11/08/13 at 20:43:04

The "cold air intake" on a modern vehicle does jack. The reason being, you have a mass air flow sensor on most if not all modern vehicles. So by taking cold air, yes the air is denser, but the engine will compensate and put in more fuel to keep your ratio the same as if the air were hot, which is why Gyrobob's buddy's WRX didn't see any significant gain in HP. The cold air intake idea would actually work on the savage! If the stock set up were not already a cold air intake... Roll Eyes

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 11/08/13 at 22:54:49

if you're not riding in a monsoon rain is a non issue
lil H2O helps 4 strokes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Henrik

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden, Jönköping
Reply #14 - 11/09/13 at 04:05:49

After some reading on the internet it seems as my filter is preoiled from factory. It feels dry, but have the red color that indicates that it is preoiled from factory. And if so it wont be a problem with oil stains Smiley Also it seems as it is important to not put to much oil on after you have cleaned your filter because some people have reported issues with oil getting into the carb/engine. (probably mostly an issue on cars with  sensors)
darn cannot deside wheter to keep it or to send it back to the store...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:30:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N filter sound and performance?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.