Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to use front brake - 101 (Read 228 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: How to use front brake - 101
Reply #15 - 11/09/13 at 08:42:06

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/09/13 at 08:27:29:
Just curious. What did you find lacking in the front brakes? I haven't really had any trouble with either the front or the rear on my 2007. They seem to do what they're supposed to do when I need them to do it.

Anything over 35mph and the front brake wouldn't slow the bike, at all. Rotor turned a nicely tempered purple, maybe Chiguy can put up a pic of it, he has the wheel and disc off my 98 these days.

Did not work properly from the day it was purchased until the day I did the drum wheel conversion. Tried to get a new rotor under warranty within a couple weeks, no luck. So used the back brake almost exclusively. Front reserved for holding the bike on a hill, worked great for that.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 11/09/13 at 09:51:31

Bummer, WD.. My front was very useable. After hearing the "Its not strong enough" complaint quite a few times I decided to see just how good it was.. I got 'er up to about 50 & started squeezing.. I let off when I heard the front tire start to chirp. With the rake & all, I had no illusions of doing a "stoppie". I knew that I had better let off before it slid out & I bit the dirt in a very literal manner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Igggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #17 - 11/09/13 at 19:09:12

Never to late to take a certified MC course. If you are not an expert, you 'will' learn better techniques. Well worth the money, even as a refresher.

IP Logged
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/10/13 at 17:30:27

A bunch of good advice. Practice, practice. Yes. Grabbing the brake at slow speed is a recipe for a fall. Any newbie who stops his bike with the wheel turned will drop it in a heartbeat.

When turning at speed, do your slowing down before the turn, not during the turn. Slow in, fast out. That's the rule. And if you ever do a track day, the instructors will warn you not to use the rear brake at all. Too much risk of locking the wheel and getting high-sided. After just one day at the track, I almost never used the rear brake again, no matter what kind of bike I was on. Only time I touch the rear brake is for straight-line, emergency braking.

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #19 - 11/10/13 at 20:57:27

Ok. Here's the thing. I'm still getting answers I actually didn't ask. Like, for an example, when a cook unintentionally touches a hot pan and then you tell him to practice cooking... Smiley
Anyway, English is not my first language and I'm sure the reason for all these misunderstandings: my question was not formulated well. So I asked my son to "redesign" it. Let's see if he has more luck... Smiley

Okay, thank you guys for all the responses, but it doesn't look like I'm being very clear, and I apologize (English is not my first language). I didn't want to actually teach myself to stop using either of my brakes, I just have an issue where I automatically squeeze the brake and, without meaning to, lock the wheels. This resulted in two falls for me. I don't want to learn how to not use brakes, far from it. I wanted to know if you guys knew of a way to "train my brain" to prevent myself from impulsively and instinctively squeezing the front brake too hard and too fast and causing my falls. In general, I want to know a way (other than progressive practice) to keep myself from using brakes unintentionally.

Ok. Let's go from scratch...
Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 11/10/13 at 21:53:16

You will have to think of your front brake like your car/truck brake, just practice straight line stops and use the front brake like your hand was your foot on a car brake.... does that make any sense to you?

Just like a few folks have been saying, practice, practice, there are no quick miracle courses or fixes, you actually have to do it.

I had my wife stopping in a large parking lot 3 days a week, straight line... go fast, slow squeeze first, slightly increasing pressure.

Then do the slow stops, same thing, slow squeeze gradual increase...

Hope this helps.....

While in the parking lot practicing, for the first couple weeks use only the front brake, after those first weeks then you can start with both, just got to remember , use your throttle to start your deceleration (will help you slow down faster and keep your engine from high rev), then pressure as needed...hand-foot, hand-foot practice, practice, practice...(did I say that too much? )

Good luck Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 11/11/13 at 05:42:56

Afan said "...I want to know a way (other than progressive practice) to keep myself from using brakes unintentionally."

Not possible.

The only way to carve the neurological paths required for you to use the brakes safely (and for maximum stopping power) is to practice, practice, practice. There's no magic bullet, no miracle ingredient, no spiritual karma to adopt.  If you want to learn something, you have to pay your dues,,......study it and practice it.

Let us know when and where you will be practicing, eh?

Wink

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:21:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to use front brake - 101

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.