Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to use front brake - 101 (Read 228 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
How to use front brake - 101
11/07/13 at 09:22:24

Hi guys.
I bought and started riding my bike in May. Already have over 3K miles. I really enjoy my bike.
Though, I already dropped my bike twice. Both times no broken bones nor anything else bad. Just couple bruises. Both times the speed was really low. First time maybe 5mph. Second time a little bit faster, maybe 15 mph, changing lane while slowing down because of red light on crossing. Both times the reason is I hit front break hard and locked the wheel while turning left (right). I know it's basic NO NO in a book how to ride a bike.
Now, I need suggestion how to "teach" myself to stop using front brake. I mean to stop automatically, muscle memory wise, reach for the break. Usually, when I "know" what am I doing, I use rear break first and if I need I would apply front break too, together with rear break. And keep my bike straight. I was even thinking to disengage front break to be sure I'm not gonna use it at the wrong time Cheesy

Thanks for any suggestion.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: How to use front brake - 101
Reply #1 - 11/07/13 at 09:56:00

Quote:
Now, I need suggestion how to "teach" myself to stop using front brake.

You don't want to "teach"yourself to stop using the front brake. You need to teach yourself to use it properly. You need to learn to apply the front brake by progressivly squeezing the lever rather than just grabbing it and locking the wheel, especially at low speeds.

Disconecting the front brake is a really bad idea IMO.  75% or more of the braking capacity of a motorcycle comes from the front brake. If you only use the rear brake you will dramatically increase your stopping distance in an emergency situation.

Quote:
when I "know" what am I doing, I use rear break first and if I need I would apply front break too, together with rear

You should be using both brakes at the same time in most situations.

Find an empty parking lot and practice stopping as fast as you can from 10 or 15 MPH using both brakes at the same time until you get comfortable doing a max effort stop at that speed without locking either wheel. Then try the same stops using just the rear to prove to yourself that what I'm telling you is correct.

Better yet, find an MSF class near you and take it.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #2 - 11/07/13 at 10:08:19

oldNslow is fully correct, not using your front brake is a recipe for disaster you should use both brakes every time so your muscle memory is to use both. This way in an emergency you don't have to think about braking, you just do it properly.

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 11/07/13 at 10:16:51

Afan I rarely use the REAR brake! Almost all of my braking is done with the front brake unless I'm in gravel or on wet roads. Like oldNslow says,it's about progressivly applying the brake.  Just like letting out the clutch,it's not an "all at once" kind of thing.

And just to make things clear...I was once one of the people that refused to use the front brake... Heck, I had several bikes back in the old days that didn't even have a front brake on them! BUT.......after taking the MSF Rider Education course and learning how to safely and effectivly use the front brake...... I'm a firm believer in them!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #4 - 11/07/13 at 10:44:58

Ok. First I have to "apologize" - I thought my sarcasm was more obvious Smiley
Of course I'm not gonna disengage my front break.
And I already took the MSF and all these things you were talking about are already clear to me.

If I have plenty of time and space (red light far in front of me) I use rear break only. Otherwise both breaks together, at the same time. Just front break - not so often.

So, everything is clear to me and I think I built pretty good habit about breaking process. If I "think" what should I do everything works perfect and I'm not afraid even to make hard stop with 40-50 mph. Never had an issue. But in "sudden" situation, w/o any thinking, like a muscle memory, I hit the front break (twice) and I fell. Now, should it be better at the time and more experience? Is there any "trick" to teach myself (brain) to NOT touch the front break if the bike is not strait or it's rainy outside or any other similar situation?

I hope I'm more clear this time.

Thanks.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 11/07/13 at 11:26:29

Quote:
If I have plenty of time and space (red light far in front of me) I use rear break only.

That right there tells me that you don't really have the concept down pat.

The muscle memory you want to develop is using both brakes whenever you stop, without having to think about it. Otherwise in an emergency you will not be using your bikes maximum stopping power.

You can still use the front brake hard in the wet or on gravel etc. as long as you concentrate on keeping the bike upright and the front wheel straight.

Practice starting the front brake application very gently and then squeezing the lever progressivly harder as the bike slows and the motorcycle's weight transfers to the front tire.  If the forks are bottoming in anything but an all out panic stop, you are pulling the lever too hard too fast. You should be able to do a normal stop without upsetting the suspension very much.

It's actually more difficult to modulate the brakes at low speed - when your mishaps occured. The disc brakes on motorcycles are pretty powerful. They need a gentle touch at slow speed.

I can't think of a trick. Just practice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/07/13 at 11:44:23

Tires have "X" amount of traction,,& No More,, Some of that traction is spent in the act of turning. If you demand the tire slow you more than it has traction to slow you with, it will slide,,When that happens on a front tire, gravity is Immediately involved in the equation & with gravitational acceleration at 32' per second per second that 2&1/2 feet between the seat & asphalt only takes a blink of the eye. I know, I touched with one finger the brake on a Guzzi setting up for a U turn on gravel,, Bad PLan,, My feet were still on the pegs when I ground to a halt from about 10MPH..
Wet, or dirty/sandy stuff are dangerous times for the front brake,,Ive dropped mine at a stop sign, going so slow it went down & I was standing up, legs spread, laying between my feet,, maybe 3 MPH.
MMMM Barrassing! The front brake is crucial in keeping stopping distances down, but being every aware of road conditions is absolutely imperative so that it can be applied Judiciously.,Youre well on your way, having learned already that it can bite,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 11/07/13 at 16:37:31

Always use both brakes.  For maximum deceleration, you have to keep them both on the verge of skidding.  You are your own ABS.  The only way you can develop that skill is to practice.  A lot.  Especially at first.

Find a road or a large lot where you can practice stops over and over and over again.  Anything less than that and you are asking for a disaster.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/07/13 at 17:21:48

I really don't know how to tell someone riding on the street to learn how to use the front brake properly and safely.  I learned to ride in the dirt, and as I got more and more aggressive I learned to use the front brake really well.  When you are going down a wet and muddy hill, the rear brake is worthless - the only thing that is going to slow you down is the front brake.  Sometimes you might use too much brake and fall down.....not enough front brake and you got going too fast and fell down. Falling down in the dirt at slow speeds is far less painfull than falling on the pavement!  Over time the front brake operation became part of the skill.  When racing the guy that can brake the hardest is often the winner as he can go fast deeper into the corners and pass the riders that are braking sooner.  The right hand and the front brake are a skill you need to develop, and when that dog runs out in front of you it needs to be instinctive that you apply the front brake properly....not just a squeeze for all you are worth.

Use the front brake whenever you are slowing down enough to need brakes......and practice it a lot.  It is not safe to ride around without having mastered how to stop in a hurry.  In the dirt you would ride slowly and go faster as your skill developed.....unfortunately when riding on the street I believe a lot of riders are going faster than their ability.....and then you have all those darn cars to try and avoid!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #9 - 11/07/13 at 23:54:31

the difference I find between my 2 bikes is my Kwaka has excellant front brakes,I hardly ever touch the rears,but cutting down the gears is not so effective,but "Randy" has excellent down shift braking,I chop down the gears and it pulls up real sweet so I only need to give the front brakes a light touch,mostly just to bring the brake light on so the tin tops know I'm slowing (back firing usually lets them know this though  Wink ) and very rarely touch the rear brake

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 11/08/13 at 08:17:28

I suggest you take a look at Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. You should not be dropping your bike! Those books explain in detail the theory and then help you lay out a practice routine so that using both brakes properly in a variety of situations comes naturally. It's using them right in unplanned stops that will save your life.

- David
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 11/08/13 at 08:57:01

Riding around without knowing how to properly brake is not only very dangerous for you.  It is dangerous for others on the road with you also. Please expend the time and effort to become proficient in using both brakes in concert.  You will be able to stop much faster and in complete control.  

You never know when your life will depend on being able to stop quickly in the middle of a busy street. The person that runs over you after you fall and slide / roll in front of them because you don't know how to stop will thank you too for not having your accidental death on their conscience.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #12 - 11/08/13 at 11:02:35

Steve H wrote on 11/08/13 at 08:57:01:
You never know when your life will depend on being able to stop quickly in the middle of a busy street. The person that runs over you after you fall and slide / roll in front of them because you don't know how to stop will thank you too for not having your accidental death on their conscience.

And their insurance!

- David
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 11/09/13 at 08:23:52

Simple problem, simple solution... practice practice practice. And if you fnd (like I did) that the front brake as shipped is worse than useless, don't use it or switch to a drum front wheel. My 15 year old Savage has had one brake pad swap since new, and that was done in 2005 or 2006. This year it got a drum front conversion, yes, the stock set up on mine was that bad. And not just aesthetically...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #14 - 11/09/13 at 08:27:29

Just curious. What did you find lacking in the front brakes? I haven't really had any trouble with either the front or the rear on my 2007. They seem to do what they're supposed to do when I need them to do it.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:56:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to use front brake - 101

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.