Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to winterize a motorcycle? (Read 241 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Re: How to winterize a motorcycle?
Reply #15 - 11/13/13 at 09:01:23

old_rider wrote on 11/13/13 at 08:53:29:
Afan, when I lived in Quincy, Illinois I would go out once a week (usually on sat.) and start up the bike in the garage and run it for about 20 min, with the garage door open! If it was nice (40ish degrees) I would ride it around the neighborhood if the snow was clear of the driving path. I never had a problem, I did however put a gas treatment in it like stabil or some such just incase I missed a sat.

That's what I was thinking too. That's what I was doing with my car.
Thanks.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 11/13/13 at 10:20:47

You should have seen the faces of my fellow workers when I rode my bike to work one morning the second week of January. I made a pissy comment about some worker parking his truck in the motorcycle only parking space...there was about 4" of snow on the ground, but the roads were clear and it was about 38 degrees, so no ice was present.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #17 - 11/13/13 at 10:26:51

Afan wrote on 11/13/13 at 09:01:23:
old_rider wrote on 11/13/13 at 08:53:29:
Afan, when I lived in Quincy, Illinois I would go out once a week (usually on sat.) and start up the bike in the garage and run it for about 20 min, with the garage door open! If it was nice (40ish degrees) I would ride it around the neighborhood if the snow was clear of the driving path. I never had a problem, I did however put a gas treatment in it like stabil or some such just incase I missed a sat.

That's what I was thinking too. That's what I was doing with my car.
Thanks.

I don't know why idling it in the garage is a good idea. I'd think it will run down the battery and probably not get things hot enough to burn off any moisture. It seems to me it's better either to ride it through the winter or to put stabil in the tank, drain the carb, remove the battery, and park it for the winter. Or am I missing something?

- David
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #18 - 11/13/13 at 10:33:52

here you are lucky! if this temperature was outside my window, I have not finished the bike-season at all... but -30 C...-not for motorcyclists

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #19 - 11/13/13 at 11:01:54

Not saying it was a "good" idea, just saying that is what I did, if I couldn't get it out to ride it. Most of the time I would have a smoke (don't now tho) and start it up to make sure the battery was still up to snuff.

I always ran it for 20 minutes, now mind you it was a Honda and not a savage and it was water cooled. So a savage? I plan to ride it all thru the winter here even if the missus doesn't ride it, after all it's her bike.

Hell if you want to throw oil around the engine, why not run it for 20 min? In cold weather i'm sure it won't over heat and you can keep it on a trickle charger during the off days. Sit on it, wobble it from side to side to stir up the gas, start it up to make sure battery is ok, run it for about 15 to 20 minutes rev the throttle on occasion (makes me happy) drove the wife nutz and if the drive is clear, back it down the drive throw it in gear and drive back in the garage/ rinse/ repeat, keep the axle lube from sitting still and oil on the clutch.

Update:
Did I miss something in Dave's post? Does the savage not charge while sitting still? do you have to have the bike in motion for the gen/alt to kick in a charge? Gadzukes..... i'm gonna have to study this bike a little bit more.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #20 - 11/13/13 at 11:38:34

DavidOfMA wrote on 11/13/13 at 10:26:51:
I'd think it will run down the battery...

I'm not sure it's correct statement. Once the engine's running the battery's charging. The same as in cars.

IP Logged
BobR
YaBB Newbies

Who said retirement
has to be boring??

St. John's, NL
Reply #21 - 11/13/13 at 12:43:05

I read somewhere bike doesn't charge til it hits 3,000 rpm. Also change the oil before storage. The acids in used oil are corrosive.

1986 Savage 650
1983 Honda V45 Magna (project)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 11/13/13 at 13:47:13

BobR wrote on 11/13/13 at 12:43:05:
I read somewhere bike doesn't charge til it hits 3,000 rpm. Also change the oil before storage. The acids in used oil are corrosive.

the generator doesn't magically come on at 3k, just not charging at full potential.
Good tip on acids/moisture/etc... there's a oil change interval based on time that should be followed.

For those that run'm during the winter, put a hole in the wall (all garages are vented aren't they?) slip a stove pipe over the muf and put a fan on the engine... should be a nice little garage heater   Cool

and I would consider unplugging the headlight... less drain on the bat.

WWW   IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #23 - 11/13/13 at 16:08:31

verslagen1 wrote on 11/13/13 at 13:47:13:
For those that run'm during the winter, put a hole in the wall (all garages are vented aren't they?) slip a stove pipe over the muf and put a fan on the engine... should be a nice little garage heater   Cool

Now that's an idea I might have to try!  Grin

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to winterize a motorcycle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.