Send Topic Print
Cam chain replacement (Read 103 times)
rxthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam chain replacement
11/06/13 at 21:54:29

I have 05 s40 with 25k miles, can I replace cam chain,cam guides,and one of verslay tensioner assy, with the engine in the bike or should pull it? My clymer is unclear.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam chain replacement
Reply #1 - 11/06/13 at 22:19:05

yes, check out the tech section, there's 2 how-to's

WWW   IP Logged
rxthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/06/13 at 22:37:08

thanks verslagen, I will be shipping old tensioner and factor new tensioner for you to do your magic . will ship in 2 or 3 weeks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/07/13 at 07:34:32

YOu bought a new tensioner? But YYYY? Is the old one oblonged out? 25,ooo miles is some pretty good service,, you mite wanna look at putting guides in,One of them is easy,, the one the tensioner attaches to,,IDK about the other. I had to replace the one,, when the clutch throwout broke & somehow grabbed the tensioner & ripped it away from the guide.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/07/13 at 23:27:47

That raises an interesting question. Is it a good idea, while the engine has relatively low miles, to replace the tensioner? As a precautionary measure before it can cause damage?

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #5 - 11/08/13 at 04:34:19

You answered your own question with the term "precautionary".

Think of the stock tensioner as a ticking time bomb  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/08/13 at 04:48:14

Ragnar444 wrote on 11/07/13 at 23:27:47:
That raises an interesting question. Is it a good idea, while the engine has relatively low miles, to replace the tensioner? As a precautionary measure before it can cause damage?

Replacing the stock tensioner with another new and unmodified tensioner is senseless.  The replacement stock tensioner has no improvement over the original one.

If you have a cam chain that is stretched....the only tensioner that can help is the Verslagen modified tensioner.  It provides more adjustment range and is pinned to keep it from falling apart when the plunger becomes overly extended.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/08/13 at 11:12:42

Dave wrote on 11/08/13 at 04:48:14:
Ragnar444 wrote on 11/07/13 at 23:27:47:

Replacing the stock tensioner with another new and unmodified tensioner is senseless.  The replacement stock tensioner has no improvement over the original one.

If you have a cam chain that is stretched....the only tensioner that can help is the Verslagen modified tensioner.  It provides more adjustment range and is pinned to keep it from falling apart when the plunger becomes overly extended.

Absolutely 100% KEE Rect.. Makes as much sense as replacing the stock petcock with a new piece of crap petcock,, its still a trainwreck waiting to happen,,Verslagen has "The Answer". Well engineered & affordable insurance. Had I kept mine, I woulda had one. The petcock & tensioner are the most important mods a guy can make to improve the dependability of the bike,
I think the rear brake needs modified, to make it less grabby, therby making it more easily applied w/o locking up.. I cut grooves across mine with a grinder & decreased the contact area by almost 1/2. Then I could actually modulate the braking force. I also adjusted the pedal a little lower so I had to put my ankle in a position where I had less strength to press down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.