Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
how old is too old to learn to ride?I am 67 . (Read 294 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: how old is too old to learn to ride?I am 67 .
Reply #15 - 11/05/13 at 11:45:39

If you can get your leg over the seat..... your not too old.

The Savage is a dream bike to learn on. Its light and best of all has lots umph (torque).  Torque lets you be very off on shifts and yet still pull through. Its rather spoiled me from other bikes, which I stall.

I do find that riding gets me tired very quick ( in traffic).. why??? I am attempting to be completely situationally aware. Once your on a bike you are invisable to "cagers" ( folks in cars). So your not just trying not to wreck ... your trying to stay away from those around you. That said ... its very doable and adds a level of enjoyment to even the ole daily commute.  

To reduce that stress, find a nice country lane... and enjoy!

Helmet
boots
gloves
jacket
optional pants

I refuse to ride without my face covered... too many bugs!

have fun and let us  know!!!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #16 - 11/05/13 at 15:25:36

It appears that I am one of the youngsters on here.  I'm turning 50 next month.  I've been riding since I was 10 or 11.  Started riding a friend's CB125.  I've had several bikes since then.  I don't know when bikes got tiny.  I've had smaller bikes (engine size) that were considerably larger and heavier and more comfortable for long rides than the Savage/S40.  Having said that, the savage seems to be a great bike to learn on.  Smooth power delivery, lots of torque, easy and gentle road manners, light weight.  I had to change the handlebars to something that wouldn't have my carpal tunnel numbing my hands in 5 to 10 minutes.

I believe you're never too old as long as your reflexes, reaction times, and balance are acceptable and you have the desire.  Try it...worst that can happen is you decide it's not for you.

Take an MSF course.  You'll get to ride some smaller lighter bikes.  You'll really appreciate the power you've got after riding those.  They'll teach you all sorts of good stuff that many of us had to find out through experience since there were no classes when we started riding. They'll show you correct way to do many things that you might self-learn incorrectly. If you hadn't already bought the bike, it would be a good way to see if you really wanted to spend the money to buy one.

In short, if you feel mentally and physically capable.  Do it!  It's always great to have a new rider.  It's loads of fun.

Be safe and enjoy yourself.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 11/05/13 at 16:10:51

Watch the movie The Worlds's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins. It should answer any questions whether or not us old folks should ride.  Cool

« Last Edit: 11/05/13 at 20:25:27 by Ragnar444 »  
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 11/05/13 at 16:55:04

Sorry Ragnar444 it should be, The World's Fastest Indian, if I'm lucky I may be at The Burt Munro Festival in Invercargill NZ at the end of the month. It will be my longest trip on the little S40.
Canmabe, you have three friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and the big gap in front of you, most other humans , animals and inanimate objects are real or potential enemies. Don't let this stop you enjoying your riding, just be aware that what I say is true.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #19 - 11/05/13 at 22:52:30

I will be 58 this week. Did call on a BMW for sale this summer. The man who was selling say he is 84 and feel that it was time to stop riding.

14365412   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #20 - 11/06/13 at 04:41:01

Sound body + Sound mind = Able to learn to ride.

Age is just a number.....

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/06/13 at 12:50:00

Welcome to our world! You're going to love it! I agree with all the advice given thus far. I came back to riding at 55 after a 30 year lay off. Couldn't pass the endorsement test, so I took the MSF course. Great. Do it. Now I'm 62, retired and ride every chance I get. Now MY advice: Concentrate on riding, especially in traffic. Car drivers will, on a consistent basis, (1) Follow too closely, (2) Ignore your turn signals, (3) Pull out in front of you and turn left in front of you, and (4) Try to pass you without changing lanes. So, ride defensively, smile and wave at the other riders. We are a brotherhood (and sisterhood, sorry!)

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #22 - 11/06/13 at 15:49:20

Somebody needs to do a poll of the ages of members of this board. I had no idea there were so many old guys like me here! If nobody else has done it, when I have the time I'll figure it out and put it in the Cafe section. Just curious.

- David
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 11/06/13 at 16:57:28

Here ya go DaveOfMA

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1380662219

Pole taken already, except I don't know who is older than GOD's dog....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 11/06/13 at 21:53:45

The question about the poll could be, did Suzuki deliberately target the Savage/S40 at the indigent male menopause to indigent elderly male market?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
latony007
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/07/13 at 13:49:22

id get a can am, just so much less to worry about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:19:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how old is too old to learn to ride?I am 67 .

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.