Send Topic Print
Case corrosion (Read 54 times)
sjoefl01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Case corrosion
11/03/13 at 15:56:30

I'm new here and also new to the Savage. I just got a 2004 with only about 6K miles. It seems to be running great. I love the bike. I live in Florida and just got the endorsement this weekend.
I have  some corrosion on the engine/ clutch casings. It's not horrible. I just wanted to get some advice on how to buff that out and possibly protect it in the future. I live a couple of miles from the beach so this will be an ongoing problem.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Case corrosion
Reply #1 - 11/03/13 at 16:36:55

Can't buff out... it's under clear-coat...
You can strip the coat off, then polish it off, but you'll need to re-clear it, to keep it nice...
In Florida... I'd just paint it... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Case corrosion
Reply #2 - 11/04/13 at 03:19:54

Serowbot is right......trying to keep aluminum in good condition where you live will be almost impossible.  It is a curse that you have that offsets the benefits of having a beach close by.

The outer engine cases, fork tubes, fork triple trees, wheel hubs, rear brake backing plate, etc. are all clear coated aluminum and subject to the corrosion under the clear coat.  The engine center cases, cylinder and cylinder head are all painted either silver or black depending on the year.

Depending on how hard you want to work you can remove the outer cases (clutch, magneto) and take them to a professional and have them buffed and clear coated, painted, chrome plated, etc.  If you want powder coat which is the most durable you will probably have to remove the electrical stator from the left side.....and somehow protect the glass oil level window.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Case corrosion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.