YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Here's a new one...
Reply #15 - 11/02/13 at 06:45:44

J-Snap:

This is obviously too late for you......but for everyone else looking at this thread.....the oil drain plug is not supposed to be tight - it is supposed to be "snug".  The torque value is 8 - 13 foot/lbs....which is absolutely low for a bolt that size.  The goal is to keep oil from coming out and the bolt only need to be snug.....one hand and a little tug once the bolt seats....not both hands and a foot wedged against the frame for leverage tight!

There are companies that make oil drain valves.  I am not sure we have room to install one on the Savage......the lever might not allow clearance to screw it into place:

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search-...

I have this one on my compact tractor, as it allows me to put a hose on the end and drain the oil into a container......so I can drain the oil without having to remove the mid mount mower.  J-Snap might be able to JB Weld one of these in place.

http://www.nospillsystems.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 11/02/13 at 09:14:14

Pull it have it TIG welded, a crack like that, anything else is a waste of time and money. I had over 100 machine shop hours into a 1970 (first year alternator engine cases) Shovelhead, the only one I have ever seen leak free with factory gaskets...

Do it once, do it right. If you actually like the bike, the money/time outlay is moot.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 11/02/13 at 09:26:33

After seeing the pic,, WD is correct.. Theres no way Id try JB weld on that.. I had no idea what you were looking at.. I was expecting about a 1/4" crack heading out from the edge of the drain hole.. UHHH, NO,, Im curious as to what kind of effort went into doing that,,How hard were you cranking on the bolt that came out so easily before the oil dripped out? Surely the effort to remove the plug was nothing like the effort required to screw it in,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J-Snap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #18 - 11/02/13 at 13:21:53

Yeah I was wrenching it pretty hard and leveraging the wrench at times with another spanner. In the past I've had to give it a few taps with a mallet to get it started (but now that I've read the post by Dave, I realize I shouldn't have been putting it on so tight).

As I lay in bed last night trying to fall asleep I kept playing through the disaster, and I just can't imagine what was going through my mind that I thought I needed that kind of torque to get it off. *shakes head* Even as I was doing it I kept thinking: "This is wrong—it's never been this hard to get it off".

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 11/02/13 at 16:05:56

WWWOOOWWWW .... a very expensive lesson dude.

Sorry man.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 11/02/13 at 18:37:52

Where did the bolt come from?   I didn't say locktite a bolt in place and drill it out.  Go back and read my post.   I said DO NOT PUT A BOLT IN IT IF YOU TRY FOLLOWING THE STUD INSTRUCTIONS.   No bolt.  A hole with bare threads that you are going to partially fill up with loctite repair compound as you work the stuff down into the cracks -- then you tap it back out with the appropriate tap once it is fully hard.

Seriously, you are in way over your head, let your relative help you out some because without somebody with some prior skills to be there to lend you aid you are going to do yet more damage in trying to fix it.

« Last Edit: 11/02/13 at 20:36:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
J-Snap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #21 - 11/03/13 at 09:20:11

Oldfeller,

I've re-read your instructions (which you keep kindly editing—thank you for that) and they now make more sense to me. The first or second edit that I read it wasn't exactly clear to me what you were saying. It sounded to me like you were suggesting to fill the crack and the hole for some reason. This is precisely why I asked for confirmation of what I was reading.

I am not planning on doing the work on my own. I am fully aware that I'm in way over my head, but thank you for emphasizing that fact. I fully intend to use every resource around me.

However, it's important for me to fully understand the process and the plan. I need to know what the wise members of this forum are saying inside-out and backwards. I want to know as much as possible about the problem and how to fix it because the people around me are knowledgable about machining and repairs in general, but they have little knowledge about this bike in particular and YOU are not going to be here to tell my father in law or my friend in the machine shop not to do something if it's incorrect or could do more damage.

Once again, thank you for your help thus far. It's been absolutely invaluable to me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 11/03/13 at 09:39:21

A machinist would likely have a better handle on what to do/not do than you or a family member unless your family member is a well experienced kinda guy,,Id expect a machinist to have seen damage along the lines of what youve got, Its certainly nothing I would have an experience in life that would give me anything to draw on to help me answer that in a cost effective, dependable, safe manner.

Its a painful lesson & Im sorry to see anyone learn one like that, BUT,, Pay attention to that "Little Voice". YOur gut knows more than yer brain some times,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J-Snap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #23 - 11/03/13 at 10:39:27

Justin, yeah I'll certainly be giving the "little voice" a megaphone with this experience.

I only met the machinist this summer, but he's the nicest darn guy. He's coming over thursday to take a look at it. My father in law is a 'retired' mechanic of 45+ years. His idea of retirement is working in a field full of ancient tractors that he restores to running condition so the owner can sell them to developing countries. The man refuses to stop. Between the two of them I think I'm in pretty good hands. But like I say, they're not experienced with the LS650 itself. The combined knowledge of this forum is something I'm relying on as well.

I'll keep updating and asking questions as this situation unfolds. You guys are the best. This thread alone has convinced me to set aside a donation from my next paycheque.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:24:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here's a new one...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.