Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nail in a tire. (Read 144 times)
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Nail in a tire.
10/29/13 at 10:19:35

Has anyone on here ever taken a nail, or screw out of one of their tires, and put one of those strand type plugs in it to fix it.  I'm talking tubeless tires.  I'm posting here just to get opinions on the good and bad.  My wife has the LS 650, and I have a Wing, and mine has the nail in the rear tire.  Thanks in advance!! Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Nail in a tire.
Reply #1 - 10/29/13 at 10:39:21

For me......on a street motorcycle I would use the plug only in an emegency.

Once the emergency is over - I would dismount the tire and install a patch on the inside of the tire.

My car tires, tractor tires, mower tires, off road stuff - a plug works just fine.  I can probably handle a plug coming loose in my car - but not on my bike!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 10/29/13 at 11:17:47

I've used those diy plug things several times on car tires with good results. Just trim flush wit tread when its dried.   I can't really see how the repair plug could "pop out" or anything, i'd consider it a permanent repair as long as its in the tread area.

Never used on the bike since i have tube tires

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/29/13 at 12:26:28

Put a patch ( boot) in the tire & replace the tube.. Its cheap enough to replace instead of risk a patch failing & you having a flat..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/29/13 at 12:29:52

Front tire is your highest risk, rear lower.  front tire goes down so do you.
I would probably only do the front to get home and it would have to be a clean fix.
rear tire, I'm not so worried about.  

But no matter what, needs to be a clean fix, then you decide how far and fast are you going with it.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 10/29/13 at 19:08:33

Dodge just think about it this way.....on a car or truck you have 4 tires,so if one fails,you still have three to hold you. Add to that the fully enclosed "cockpit" to protect you.

With a bike,if one tire fails,you have one tire left to ride on.....and nothing but the clothes on your back between you and the road.

Now if you have a spouse,child or friend riding with you,the danger just doubled.

As the saying goes...ya buys your cards and plays the hand that's dealt ya. I'd want to buy some dang good cards!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 10/29/13 at 19:09:51

Yeah, I don't get this one. You only have 2 tires, not 4, one goes (mine did, glass shard, flat at 50 in a minute, rear) and now you've lost 50% minimum of your safety margin between you and the asphalt....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #7 - 10/29/13 at 19:26:55

Ain't worth the risk. New tire!

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/29/13 at 19:44:44

Ohh PLEEZE,, Its a Little HOLE,, Ive driven cars for many thousands of miles with a lousy plug in a tire,, Just take the tire off & put a boot inside, replace the tube. unless the tread is low & its not worth the $$$ to pay to have the tire put back on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/30/13 at 04:34:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/29/13 at 19:44:44:
Ohh PLEEZE,, Its a Little HOLE,, Ive driven cars for many thousands of miles with a lousy plug in a tire,, Just take the tire off & put a boot inside, replace the tube. unless the tread is low & its not worth the $$$ to pay to have the tire put back on.

In the first post, the OP is asking about a tubeless tire on his Goldwing (rear tire).....not one with a tube.

Are you suggesting he convert the rear tire to use a tube?

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 10/30/13 at 06:24:09

In my original posting, I mentioned tubeless tires.  And the reason I mentioned them, is because I wanted to know how I can tell if mine are tubeless, or not.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/30/13 at 06:33:20

Dodgeman wrote on 10/30/13 at 06:24:09:
In my original posting, I mentioned tubeless tires.  And the reason I mentioned them, is because I wanted to know how I can tell if mine are tubeless, or not.

There are several things to look at:
If the wheels are spoked and the spokes go through the center of the rim....chances are it is a tubed tire. (There can be exceptions).  Some BMW motorycles have spokes that go to the outside of the rim and the spokes do not penetrate the inside of the rim.  Some bikes have rubber seals inside the tire that prevent air from leaking out the spoke nipples.
The tire will have (tubeless) stamped on it.
Most cast wheels can use tubeless tires.

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 10/30/13 at 06:46:09

Thanks Dave.  My wing don't have spokes, the rim looks like a cast type.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/30/13 at 07:50:14

Dodgeman wrote on 10/30/13 at 06:46:09:
Thanks Dave.  My wing don't have spokes, the rim looks like a cast type.

So then look a the tire and see if you can find "tubeless" on it.

I imagine that taking the rear wheel of a Goldwing could be a big job.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 10/30/13 at 08:32:55

If the tire is well treaded & worth the $$ to reinstall plus the cost of a tube
AND the rim will accommodate a tubed tire, then Id go that way,, Ive never lost a tire repair with a plug,

How Big was that nail, diameter.. Where on the tire? Toward center or out close to the sidewall? Tires do some flexing when ya get over on the radius. Mite not be a good place for a boot,,
How much Life is left in the tire? Do you Like the tires handling/stopping characteristics? Whats a new one cost? YOU factor in the cost of popping it off & back on the rim, you mite be ahead to slap a fresh one on,.,If the numbers come in close, go new. Nice thing about tubeless is you CAN plug them on the road, long as youve got a pump.

I carry a tire fixit kit, comes with green slime & a small compressor,.about $30.00 at,, geeze,, I dunno now,, BUT, Ive used it once, on a guys bike.,.,Just need a 12V supply to it,, its slow, but its better than calling a tow truck

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:28:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nail in a tire.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.