Send Topic Print
GPS issue (Read 48 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
GPS issue
10/28/13 at 10:21:19

I have a unit that has been pretty danged good to me,, Its kinda slow to hook up some days, but usually once its "talking" to the birds, its good for the day,,The other day, it was a nice day, somewhat overcast, but the clouds werent heavy at all. But the thing would occasionally pop "Trouble communicating" on the screen,, The next day was heavier cloud cover but I got better service from the thing.. Anybody have such experience? Is my unit going wonky or is something interfering?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: GPS issue
Reply #1 - 10/28/13 at 16:59:30

The one on my wife's smart phone is better than the one we bought 5 years ago. Its a Garmin. Its got me completely lost several times. I had a friend that had a Garmin and he tossed it in the trash.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 10/28/13 at 17:16:54

This ones a Garmin,, Its been very good at getting me to the right place, even tho Ive never paid for an updated map. Its just being skippy in communicating. Its never done what it did the other day, not on a reasonably clear day, & then, for an encore, it worked great the next day, when it was much more overcast,, What GIVES? I was in the same general areas,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 10/29/13 at 11:28:19

Clear blue skies are nice to our eyes, but "bad" for GPS and anything that works on satellite communications.

That's because on a clear day solar activity reaches the surface of the Earth and will "interfere".
I am not talking about direct sunlight, but radio frequencies.

That is why on an overcast day GPS will seem t work better... because they can actually "see" the satellites, whereas on a clear sunny day they could well be "blinded by the glare".

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/29/13 at 12:25:04

It was overcast, just not real heavy. today, its clearer & its working Great!
Odd it is that the day prior to it not working we had those contrails in the sky that linger for hours & hours & spread out into cloud like formations,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:14:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › GPS issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.