Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Larger luggage rack than the suzuki part (Read 98 times)
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Larger luggage rack than the suzuki part
10/28/13 at 06:41:49

I would like to purchase and/or fabricate a larger luggage rack than the factory chrome one.   Anyone know a source of such a rack or plans to fabricate one?

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Larger luggage rack than the suzuki part
Reply #1 - 10/28/13 at 10:29:56

The rack on my wife's 2004 is a small "german" one, don't know where it came from, but it has two bolts that hold it onto the small sissy.

So I made a large sissy bar out of 3/4" square metal tubing from Lowe's with some light metal (like roof flashing) for brackets and drill holes and riveted it all together.

For her rack, I just took a 12" piece of outdoor (marine) grade plywood and painted it black, using small "U-bolts" with washers to hold the plywood down.

She can now put a cooler or a kuryachyn large bag on the back of her savage. I can send ya some picks if you need.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/28/13 at 10:35:31

Someone did that, it was a big, good lookin thing,, I didnt think the square corners on the back were a good idea, but generally, its just time to get some square tubing & build a frame up thatll attach to the bike & lay flat across it. If you can build a sissy bar & attach that securely, you can add a shelf on the back,, Gussets/braces where loads attach. Need a welder, some clean way to cut, chop saw if you can justify it, or a grinder with a cut off disk. Cut off grinders cost a lot more than grinders. I modified a grinder to accept cut off disks. Never use Harbor Freight grinder/cut off disks. The evaporate & sling garbage everywhere. Use the more expensive stuff like from Lowes. DeWalt & others in that range. They last so much longer they actually cost less to use.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/28/13 at 11:05:59

I don't have a welder (yet), I mostly use rivets or bolts, and metal I have laying around from different projects. Like the metal from our shower doors installation, we did that like five years ago, but I used it on a bracket for something. Or I go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy small metal bits and pieces, they have a section with tubing and plate metal, fairly inexpensive.
Most of my cutting I do with a small dremel tool, a hacksaw, and a metal blade on a sabre saw.
The bending I do on a $20 vise I bought at lowe's, bigger stuff I clamp a couple of 2x4's together and use a hammer.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/28/13 at 17:22:26

It aint gonna be pretty, then,.,& aluminum & rivets wont last long, IMO. Not with any kinda load.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Larger luggage rack than the suzuki part

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.