Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jap big 4 (Read 329 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Jap big 4
10/26/13 at 17:37:45

Out of the jap big 4 who do you think makes the best bikes?  More over, which historically have performed the best, most reliable, most problems, so on so fourth.  This should be a fairly interesting thread.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Jap big 4
Reply #1 - 10/26/13 at 17:46:42

1966 Suzuki 150 2-stoke twin: could not kill it
!978 Yamaha SR500:  good bike, no problems
So far I've had 4 LS650's with just 1 real hassle, and that was on my original '96, which developed electrical issues but since it had lived outside most of its life I'm not surprised that after 10 years or so that this would happen.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/26/13 at 17:51:13

Honda has the rep for anal retentive reliability,... if you like that sorta' thing... but, that also gives their bikes the least character or personality...

Not that they haven't dropped a few clangers... Huh...
... but,.. all Jap bikes are reliable...

None have the fit and finish of American, English, German, Italian bikes...

Same with cars... (America get's a pass with car fit and finish)... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/26/13 at 18:04:49

Interesting question.  I haven't owned a lot of Jap bikes, most of mine were Euro bikes because most of my riding was done 50 years ago before Jap bikes were available where I lived.  Since then I have owned only two makes of Jap bikes, Suzuki and Honda.  But people tell me that the top Jap bike in terms of build quality and overall engineering is Honda, followed by Yamaha and then Suzuki and Kawasaki.

But I think they are all very good with some variation between specific models from each manufacturer.  I am convinced that if you want a good reliable bike at a reasonable cost then any of the four Japanese companies is the way to go.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 10/26/13 at 20:46:57

Historically overall I think Honda has produced more dependable bikes,at least into the mid to later 1980's. The one exception would be the Yamaha XS650. That would be my #1 Jap bike of all time,followed very closely by the LS650.

Beyond that time frame they all just jumble together for me. All the Jap bikes in the last 20 years seem to fall into either the crotch-rocket or "wanna be a Hurley" class. Nothing really stands out from the Japanese builders anymore. But then you have to understand that I'm really a Triumph/BSA/Norton kind of guy anyway!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 10/26/13 at 21:56:19

I had a XS650 Yahama (71) modle in Gold color.   It was a great bike ! Smiley-Till the rotor burned out.  Sad            The Sportster reminds me a lot of it, with the way it handles.   Yahama-35mpg ---- Sportster-53mpg.  Wink

The Yahama RD serries were good , I had the 250 version and loved it.

The S-40 is my second LS650 , and except for the valve clatter I like it a lot.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/26/13 at 22:11:39

You sure you want to know? I've owned in excess of 100 street legal bikes... roughly 15% were metric, the rest were American or European.

Overall best is easy, Honda CB/CL. They can sit around for 20 years, and you add gas, change the oil and battery and will be running in a few kicks 90% of the time.

Can't wait to have another one? Again, very easy, 800 or 1500 Vulcan, any style. They are THE best handling cruisers ever made, especially the 805cc VN800A. The KZ line, twins or fours, were phenomenal.

Yamaha has only ever made a couple decent bikes... XS650 and its variants.

Dead last in every category... Suzuki. Poor QC, atrocious fit and finish, electrical systems that make Lucas parts look good, the worst seats in the history of motorcycling... The factory has turned out some excellent parts over the decades, no question at all on that. But with the exception of the full dress C50T, they are rather uninspired and underwhelming machines.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 10/26/13 at 22:18:20

If you want a bike to ride 200,000 miles with normal maintenance and a few stators buy a Honda. Bot's right, not much personality. Thats why most ol geezers ride Gold Wings. Will go more miles than your car but its about like riding in one. My all time favorites are new Triumphs but when it comes to the big 4, get whatever you want. Unless you're a daily long distance commuter the bike will probably outlast you, especialy the water cooled ones.  The Savage is a 30 year old motorcycle if you buy a new one, 30 year old design,30 year old quality. It has more personality than George Carlin on crystal meth. Maybe thats why they're still building them.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 10/26/13 at 22:48:36

WD, Suzuki spent their money at the race track. They dont care about ol geezers like us. Back in the mid 90's when Suzuki came out with their new improved 750 Crotch Rocket that bike was ready to win at the racetrack with just a tire and jet and exhaust change. It was years ahead of anybody, put a whuppin on Ducati. Then they went to work on the 600 and just about left Honda setting a few years. You remember when just about every crotchrocket you seen was White and Blue. The 1100 ruled the dragstrips and are still being run today. I guess theres a   few die hard Suzuki fans that want a cruiser but you can tell the thought, time , and attention is not being paid to them. Here in the US their number one customers are young black males and thats who they cater to.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 10/27/13 at 02:38:58

I'd put the Japanese Big 4 in this order as far as overall reliabilty goes (but really, what do I know?) ... innovation and engineering wise? Probably the same order ... though YamKawaZuki are probably interchangeable as far as that goes ...

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki

Yamahog owners I've met seem to be pretty defensive of their chosen brand moreso than owners of the other 3 marques ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 10/27/13 at 06:24:04

Like most folks I've owned at few of each brand of bikes and each has their own "quirks". The newer bikes today are so "sophisticated" electronically that they hardly fail unless you are "modding" them and making them do something more than they are designed to do.

My stock Honda 1300R VTX was probably the most bulletproof for a modern cruiser and i'm up in the air about which of the smaller ones I would favor... I owned a Yamaha WR250X supermoto, a super fun little bike, but this little Kawasaki 300 Ninja is making me think that its not really the Companies, but the designs that make the bikes what they are.

I don't know, but the fuel injected, water cooled, low maintenance of todays bikes are what make me want to keep updating each model. Of course with all the added stuff that can fail (fuel pumps, injectors, ecu's) can make a new owner go nutz because of the complicity of the systems.

I'm thinking KISS (keep it simple stupid) would be the best for any engineering team to go by, but with that comes the maintenance issues, which is why I like the savage, it is simple in design, but not maintenance free.

I've put 5,000 miles on my new little kawi, but it isn't due a major maintenance check until 8,000, and i'm hearing from most owners that its just a valve clearance check and most don't need adjusting.

So maybe todays bikes might be better engineered, but not better overall maintenance wise for the owners, unless you are a certified motorcycle mechanic that understands electronic fuel injection and can "retune" a bike that has an ECU failure.

But my best ever rock-solid bike? It wasn't a "big four", It was my Briggs and ScrapIron Sears minibike I had when I was young!! Even I could work on it at 10 years old!!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 10/27/13 at 11:36:55

Hay  OldRider ...  

That's a nice looking bike !  Grin

No Really ... I've been looking at the ones "Tractor Supply" sells and thinking "That thing looks like a lot of fun".

Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 10/27/13 at 19:37:09

I had one very similar when I wsa a kid.  Was loads of fun...Fork tubes were weak.  Broke the forks pretty quick jumping over a little hill.  Welded a bicycle neck on it and used bicycle forks.  Never another problem.

They are a blast.  Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/27/13 at 21:45:14

Hey Zar - We think alike. My favorite was the early '70s Honda CB450. Uncle Army called me up in 73, and I was out of riding until 2006, when I wanted to get back to riding. I was dismayed that there were only crotch-rockets, HD Wannabees, and Dirt Devils. I would like to see Honda bring it back, but if it were built to the same quality as before, the cost would kill it. So I'm reasonably happy with my 2012 S40.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 10/28/13 at 03:04:41

I've got my eye on a gorgeous custom 2006 VN800 Drifter that is listed for $4K... low miles and ready to go as is once the XM radio is deleted. I've run out of time to get the Savage back in service, 45 mile each way commute starts today. I need a couple more months worth of paychecks to get the custom cables, front shoes relined, a proper windshield (small police type tombstone)... and still need to test the stator, reg/rec, and spark box. I could get it all in one check, if I skipped the bills, but...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:26:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Jap big 4

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.