Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dyna Repair (Read 201 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Dyna Repair
10/26/13 at 12:33:06

Hello,

So the mechanics gave me back my bike after doing some repairs and left my muffler improperly settled and suggested I got a new one.  Apparently they don't know how to put a muffler back on so they're black listed.

I have a Dyna muffler that I installed a year back.  All I did was cut into the neck enough for it to bend and slide right on to the exhaust neck.  I made a gasket out of a tin can to seal it properly.  

It's worked fine until now.  I took it apart and put it back together and there's a major air leak.  I'm debating if it just needs me to make a new gasket or actually make the proper adjustment and buy the proper gear to make the air leak stop.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?  It's an 03'.

I've heard many methods of retrofitting the Dyna muffler and would like a clean one.

I also don't think my clamp is the proper size since it wouldn't let me go any tighter.  What type of clam and size should I be using?

Links to guides and parts would be extremely appreciated! Smiley

Thank you!

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Re: Dyna Repair
Reply #1 - 10/26/13 at 13:17:44

I just did the Dyna install and I opted for the most expensive but easiest/full-proof method of fitting it.

First I got a Dyna, part number 65747-94.

Then I bought the neck-down/angle adapter from Ryca (http://shop.rycamotors.com/exhaust_adapter.html).  It's 50 bucks which is a lot for just a pipe with a slight bend in it but it adapts the neck size perfectly so you don't need to mess with the tin can gasket.  You also don't need to hack-saw your Dyna either.  It really brings the "slip on" concept back to the Dyna slip on.  And for me, that cost was completely worth it for situations like you describe when it worked once and now doesn't.

The Ryca comes with a chrome clamp but you need two clamps to mount it on the bike.  So I ordered an identical chrome clamp (same part number and manufacturer as the one Ryca ships you) so they'd match.

That clamp is just 8 bucks here:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

I also replaced the bolts that those clamps have with some grade 5 stainless steel.  The bolts they come with just bend like butter once you start tightening the clamps.

With those three parts (clamp, adapter, Dyna), the install was a complete walk in the park and works like a champ.  You just remove the header pipe, remove the stock exhaust, line up the adapter BEFORE you pound it into the Dyna with a rubber mallet (it's a tight fit), and then mount the Dyna using a single mounting hole on the frame only because the exhaust adapter moves the exhaust backwards so both holes don't line up with the bike mounts but one hole is totally enough.

The last thing I bought was a 4" heat shield cover from Samson (http://www.samsonusa.com/H-109.html).  Again, it's 30 bucks for a bent piece of chrome but it covers up the muffler mounting beautifully and is short enough that the 10 degree angle adapter isn't a problem like it would be if you had a 7 inch heatshield.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - 11/04/13 at 02:06:25

This is awesome information.  Will the original heat shield fit over the connection when the angled connector is used?

Second question.  My pipe has real bad rust on it and it's not going to come off.  Should I just sand it as much as possible and paint it ceramic black or sand it as much as possible and wrap it?  I kind of want to go with the paint since it seems easier for future removal and visual inspection.

Third question.  My Dyna already has bluing on it and when I took it off the other day I could hear rattling inside of it.  Is it time to put on the spare Dyna I have in the closet?

Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #3 - 11/07/13 at 09:46:55

I think I've heard Serowbot say rattling is a sign of a rotted muffler.

As for the original heat shield, I couldn't use mine because it was welded to the original muffler.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 11/11/13 at 20:28:52

The adaptor slipped on pretty smoothly.  I didn't have to force it on.  How tight did you fasten your clamps?

I still felt some air leaks by the curved adaptor when I tested it out today.

I'll probably take the exhaust back off the bike tomorrow morning and make sure it's all seated tightly.

Should I be tightening the clamps until there no more to give?

IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - 11/12/13 at 16:08:48

Here's a picture.  I pushed all the pipes in as far as possible and there is a small air leak at both connections.  I used some grade 8 bolts but they eventually started bending too and I couldn't tighten them anymore.  I'm out of ideas.

I guess I can live with a little air leak and small backfire?

20131112_153345_01.JPG
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #6 - 11/12/13 at 16:27:24

Hmmm... someone else should probably chime in here to confirm anything I'm about to say but I think I've heard of some people trimming a bit of the header pipe down to get a tighter fit.  It wasn't necessary in my case because, like I said before, my adapter fit SNUG.  I guess the difference between super snug and slide-on is within the normal manufacturing tolerance of that adapter.

Aside from the leak it looks exactly like mine did so good job on the install.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #7 - 11/13/13 at 04:53:40

justin or sero or someone always chimes in on such cases with 'exhaust soot will soon plug those small air leaks'.  lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:29:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.