Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Reloading for the rest of us (Read 488 times)
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Re: Reloading for the rest of us
Reply #60 - 11/07/13 at 07:49:41

you guys are speaking my language now. i live on a shooting range so reloading is a way of life. i started on a lee classic single stage press. last year i upgraded to a dillon 550b progressive. i still load rifle on my lee, but the dillon is sooooo much faster for pistol. i currently load .223 rem, 7.62x39 russian, 30-06 springfeild, 30-30 winchester, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 38 spec, 357 magnum, 44 magnum, and 12 guage 00 buckshot. i cast all my own pistol bullets out of lead except 44 mag. i just havent bought a mold yet. i spent all day yesterday( when i wasnt with shooters) processing scrap lead into ingots. i did about 150 pounds into 1 pound bars.

we have a pistol shoting contest every month at my range, so i have been gearing up for that. i dont shoot in it, because i have to judge it. Roll Eyes  i do shoot alot afterwards though. well actually i shoot alot all the time. everytime somone comes out to shoot. it makes me want to shoot. i think, oh man il just pop off a few rounds. 50 rounds later im wondering where all my ammo went. Smiley  

im waiting on my new swaging dies to come in from corbin. ive been saving for a while and finally saved enough to buy the set that makes jacketed .223 rem bullets from spent 22lr casings.  they were pricey, but with them i will be able to load 100 rounds of .223rem for just under $6. they should be here any day now. HURRY UP UPS!!!!!!

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #61 - 11/07/13 at 09:04:57

Wow 45ACP

Let us know when you get the manufacturing process worked out and I'll start saving my 22LR hulls.  You might get some help paying for your equipment if you want !

You thinking 60gr neighborohood ?  Soft lead explosive-tip mabby ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 11/08/13 at 06:27:06

yep im thinking right around 62gr. ill be able to make hollow point down around 55gr, but i think around 60gr you start running out of jacket and have to make soft point. i wont know for sure till they get here. either way will work for me.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 11/08/13 at 09:44:57

Well, so far we have established that a lot of us old codgers currently reload already.   We also have a subset who used to cast and reload, but have stopped over the years.

We haven't seen any of the newer people asking any questions, though.  
Nobody has said "I want to reload XX for my xxxxx nor has anyone asked any interesting questions.

So, I'll ask one.   Anybody ever hollow pointed some milsurp lake city FMJ open bottom bullets?   Anybody ever beat the "open bottom open top gas blowby" issue and still get some sort of expansion upon meat strike?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 11/08/13 at 18:25:49

old codgers? hell im only 29. i have been casting black powder round balls since i was six, so maybe old codger fits. my lungs probably look like a coal miners.  Undecided just got my tracking beacon from ups. odered my swaging dies monday. corbin finally sent it out today. maybe ill get it next week and can work up some bullets to show off.

i have never made hollow points out of fmj myself. sounds kinda difficult to me. sounds like a quick way to get a drill bit stuck in my hand.  when i was a kid i tried cutting an x in the end of a 22lr. saw some guy do it on a cowboy movie and it looked awsome. anyway, i cut the crap out of my finger when  the knife slipped off.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #65 - 11/08/13 at 22:03:11

Not to do with reloading but I came across a Davidson Limited Edition 10/22 this afternoon at a local gun shop. Beautiful Laminated Stock and stainless steel barrel. I held it and couldn't put it down. My wife was with me , guess what? Its my Christmas Present from my wife. I love laminate stocks. I'm old fashioned and like wooden furniture. I have a M77 308 Compact with laminated stock and stainless barrel. Its my favorite alltime gun.I had a 10/22 I bought about 3 years ago ( gave my 1976 model 10/22 to my son in law) because it was on sale. It had a plastic stock. I never fired it because I didnt like carrying it around and I sold it for what I gave for it. I had to get another 10/22 because I have seven BX25 mags LOL. Now if I could just find a wooden stock for my Mini 30. I've heard you could modify a Mini 14 stock to fit a Mini 30  but my eyes arent good for working with close tolerances. I've got my plastic AR and Sig 522 and I can live with that but when a rifle has the shape of a rifle I want wood.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 11/09/13 at 00:04:09

Cafe is where folks come to talk and conversations veer off in odd directions all the time.

This entire thread is a continuation of something that started on a motorcycle trip thread, so you can see how they go.

So yeah, wood is part of a gun.

And wood is important to the looks of a gun.  Wood is also something that breaks too much as wood density and strength vary from chunk to chunk.

Have you ever heard of "pressure impregnated" wood stocks?   Yup, like a telephone pole, except they use stiff plastic material not tar.

Ruger did this on their original deerslayer .44 carbine later on in the production runs because the very detailed very thin wood stocks were breaking on them too too much under warranty.

People didn't like the way it looked as it gave a milky sheen to the wood grain and it turned a nice chunk of walnut stock into something plasticy looking that folks simply wouldn't buy willingly.

I had one of these and it took me forever to figure out how to get it stained so it looked mostly right again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #67 - 11/09/13 at 02:16:23

Laminated stocks should be tougher than regular wooden stocks because of the glue (maybe epoxy) bonding the different layers. I doubt if I have any wood problems out of a 22 LOL but my laminated stock on my 308 has held up well for years and looks like new. I know a plastic stock will probably shoot better because its pretty much impervious to weather changes but I'm not a great shot and I probably couldnt tell the difference anyway. I dont shoot anything more powerful than a 308 since I cant hunt anymore and I'm just an old fart that prefers wooden stocks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #68 - 11/09/13 at 04:48:35

Me too, old fart just piddling around, playing with bits and pieces left over from years past.    Had some projects that never finished out, now I have time to finish them.

Speaking of wood, I've got a K31 with a gnarly snow-stained wooden stock to deal with.  

Snow stained ??? you say -- WTF is that??.

Rifles were pyramid stacked against each other in the snow for field storage during each yearly winter training exercises.   The wood was soaked, frozen, thawed, frozen -- the wood at the butt end is a mess.

The stain effect goes deep, it isn't just a surface defect.  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 11/09/13 at 07:48:30

i shot alot of black powder, so i really love a wooden stock. i have some polymer stocked rifles. they just dont compare with my black powder collection. i really love the old thompson center rifles. i can hardly pass one up for sale at a decent price. they made some beautiful rifles before the plant burned down. now they make mostly polymer Roll Eyes about a year ago i found a t/c renegade with a presentation grade stock in unfired condition. some day ill fire it. right now im just content to let it hang in my livingroom. Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #70 - 11/09/13 at 08:36:13

Midnightrider wrote on 11/09/13 at 02:16:23:
Laminated stocks should be tougher than regular wooden stocks because of the glue (maybe epoxy) bonding the different layers. I doubt if I have any wood problems out of a 22 LOL but my laminated stock on my 308 has held up well for years and looks like new. I know a plastic stock will probably shoot better because its pretty much impervious to weather changes but I'm not a great shot and I probably couldnt tell the difference anyway. I dont shoot anything more powerful than a 308 since I cant hunt anymore and I'm just an old fart that prefers wooden stocks.

Black powder deer opened today. I over slept...

You want to come deer hunting, no problem. We can put a chair and a heater in the horse trailer, the deer are used to it. Couple shipping crates to elevate the chair, as long as you have a scope, you're golden. Limit is 3 doe per day, 4 bucks for the season, which ends in early January... Modern gun opens the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Legitimate invitation, tell your wife you are going on vacation.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #71 - 11/09/13 at 13:55:35

Thanks for the offer WD. That means a lot to me. I can climb a stand and sit in it. I dont have the strength to skin the deer and process the meat. Its pretty hard to skin a deer if you've lost over half of your body strength. It takes some strength to skin a deer, at least more than I have.There use to be a guy about an hr away. All you did was shoot the deer and take it to him. He would skin, gut and process the meat into hamburger or sausage or steaks and put it into small vacuum sealed bags for $75. Those vacuum sealed bags would last in the freezer for years. I've got a friend checking for me to see if the guy is still in operation. The last deer I took to him I killed it with a headshot from my 17HMR at 150 yds. Its illegal but I just wanted to see if the gun would do it. It was a 5 pointer and he hit the ground and never kicked. Blowed his eyeballs out. I was on my way to call in some coyotes and I saw him. My wife has cut up several deer for me to make jerky but with her babysitting our 2 year old grandchild and her part time work schedule she just doesnt have time. I've got a real smoker that runs off wood and people use to beg me for my jerky. I know a company that has around 6 deer practically fenced in on around 4 acres and somehow wild dogs are getting under the fence. and killing the Bambi's. They told me if I could, take the deer and the dogs. If the deerskinner is still in business I'll drop em. Got a camera in there and since the acorns are falling there's one fat 8 pointer in there. There's so many deer around here you cant hardly ride anymore safely. I've carried caskets of two friends killed by deer on  motorcycles. A lot of them are dying off because of black tongue. That means the season is too short. I'm an animal lover, have several pets including squirrels. Have a flying squirrel that eats outta my hand everynight but I'll shoot a deer anytime , season or not as long as it is not a doe with a Bambi. I always ate the meat, I dont like to waste one of God's animals unless its a killer coyote, which there's way too many of them around here. One biker was killed by a deer less than a half mile from my house and I live in the city limits. I used to hunt on one guys land and his daughter was killed by a deer while driving a car. Must have come through the windshield. I told him one day about letting a small doe walk and he got up in my face and told me (not in a nice Christian way) I had better not let anything walk again. He hated deer with a passion and I could see why. I got so used to eating deer hamburger I dont even like real hamburger any more. The deerskinner knew just exactly how much beef fat to mix in and to me it made better soup and chili than the real stuff.

« Last Edit: 11/09/13 at 15:07:26 by Midnightrider »  

IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 11/09/13 at 18:34:54

our black powder season was only about 1 week long. I sat our there for four days of it and never saw a thing. except for some squirrels a couple of rabbits and a bunch of quail. my Dad not 200 yds away in another stand got three. guess I wasn't holding my tongue right.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #73 - 11/09/13 at 22:55:32

I've got a very large steel chain fall equipped A frame and a backhoe, skinning is NO problem. Retired preacher across the road was a USN butcher and then a civilian butcher.

Major concerns covered... so when should I expect you...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #74 - 11/10/13 at 15:01:02

WD I've spent all my money on Christmas for my grandchildren. Still havent bought anything for my wife yet and she bought me a $350 gun I mentioned in one of the post above. Gotta get her something nice. She just bought a brand new 22' camper and shes wanting a flat screen for it. Guess thats what I will get her for Christmas. If we're still here next year I'll put some money aside and definitely head your way. We'll work it out a little earlier in the year so I'll have time to put money back before season rolls around. It's gonna cost a lot of gas money to drive my pickup from NC to your place. I have a big cooler that would hold at least 2 butchered deer. I mainly like hamburger and sausage but I save the tenderloin of course. Pm me your address sometime and I'll figure out about how much gas my truck would burn and if I can drive it in one day or not. Once again thanks for the offer and next year we'' start planning a little earlier. I'm really fond of your good ol boy southern humor and I'd love to spend some time with you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:22:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Reloading for the rest of us

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.