Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Reloading for the rest of us (Read 488 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Reloading for the rest of us
Reply #30 - 10/30/13 at 21:50:20

Midnightrider wrote on 10/30/13 at 20:53:59:
If the goverment has their way we will be shooting sling shots, then they'll make steel balls illegal.

when they make rocks illegal I'll worry.
besides, we all know those things are dangerous.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 10/30/13 at 22:14:18

As much as it seems reasonable to use a thumb to push the Y against the rubber trying to lay the Y down on your arm, Dont DEWITT!  Its waay easy to let the thing go wrong & Smash that thumb nail,,
Yea,, I KNOW that looks like personal experience,, thats cuz it IS,, Daaang that hurteded...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 10/31/13 at 00:18:01

Midnightrider wrote on 10/30/13 at 20:53:59:
If the goverment has their way we will be shooting sling shots, then they'll make steel balls illegal.

I already have an answer for my home defense, its called a paintball gun, fires at about 400 feet per second (cranked up).

They are about 68 cal. and guess what? there are a lot of marbles out there that size!  Just put the marbles in the freezer, boil some water, take the marbles out and put them in a hand strainer and dip them quickly into the hot water. Hear and see them crack?

Guess what happens when you shoot them out of the paintball gun? OWIE for the bad guys. Some of the marbles will shatter and splinter, but most will hold their shape until they are hit with the air pressure and then upon leaving the barrel they either flare out like buckshot or shatter when they hit, either way I win.

I'm kinda evil like that...I don't show it...but don't try to hurt me or mine.

And did you know, you can make an air dart capable of traveling about 200 yards accurately? That is if the wind it ain't blowing 25 to 30 miles per hour.

I'm thinking on making a dart rifle, using a paintball gun with a really long barrel.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #33 - 11/01/13 at 00:54:45

I've got a competition air rile that shoots around a thuosand feet per second and is deadly accurate. A friend of mine told me they were gonna ship lead here from Peru. I hope its true but shipping it is gonna add to the cost

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #34 - 11/01/13 at 13:58:31

Has anyone else heard the rumor about lead from Peru? I found a forum for my Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30. It has many suggested loads for each rifle.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 11/01/13 at 15:46:17

Lead is also mined in China and exported to the USA in the form of wheel weights.

Californians must worry about their supply of lead, the rest of us do not need to worry at this time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #36 - 11/01/13 at 16:05:04

Lead wheel weights are outlawed in many states. I never wanted to cast lead bullets, I prefer jacketed bullets. Please explain how California is the only state that should be worried. Hornaday and other bullet makers arent going to melt wheel weights.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 11/01/13 at 16:28:36

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M_Automotive/OEMs/3M_Solutions/W...

Wink

Now, this isn't the be all end all of information -- it is just what I found when I went looking.    Besides, I have enough lead in muffin tin ingots to last me the rest of my lifetime.   Also, I think you can still buy lead ingot (25 pounders) at industrial and plumbing supply houses.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #38 - 11/01/13 at 17:44:42

Am I really the only forum member with over one TON of lead stashed at his place? Father in law was a plumber. His father was a plumber... that's over a century of scrap lead just from the plumbing business. Plus we have old batteries back to the 1920s. And a bunch of lead boat anchors.

I can't find my pliers operated .30/30 reloading stuff. I desperately need some 180gr pure lead, round nose, original specs rounds. My saddle ring carbine (20 inch octagon barrel) Winchester does NOT like jacketed flat nose. At all. I've got the empty shells. I have some FFFg (not opposed to "smoke and thunder" loads). I even have some primers. Can't find my dies or the handles, they may have gotten accidentally junked.

You guys and your silly little lever operated presses... My late second wife's (Trish) dad had a plug in press. We'd load at minimum a 55 gallon barrel per caliber at one press run. No muss, no fuss, let it run until the feeders were empty, refill and keep going. Couple hundred thousand rounds per weekend was not unusual.

And yes, an ammo/component stockpile like that is illegal.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #39 - 11/02/13 at 19:14:27

Been buying wheel weight lead ingots online for casting plinker rounds for all my calibers. Beats having to melt and process the wheel weights if I could find them, I wouldn't turn any down, just can't find any. The local tire stores aren't giving wheel weights away any more either, they sell them to the battery recyclers. I'm thinking about stopping by the local junk jard and see if I can pull my own.
 So far my favorite plinker load for just about any 30 caliber rifle is a .311 100 grain cast bullet over 5-6 grains of a fast burning pistol powder like Bullseye. It's sort of like shooting a .22 on steroids, accurate out to about 75yds, low recoil and not to noisy. The cost per round is about 6 cents and I have been using a home made bullet lube. Works great with 30-06 and my 7.7 jap. Tried some ultra light loads with 1.5 grains of powder which were fun but totally lost it at 25yds.
 Been getting back into black powder and picked up a .50 caliber Hawkens cap lock for real cheap that had been shortened into a carbine. It is a mild Bubba job but could of been worse. Only problem with it is that I can't find any #11 caps locally. Ended up machining a new nipple to accept some berdan primers which I picked up from Graffs a few years ago just to get the Hawkens to make some noise.  Cheesy
WD, I'm lusting after you scap lead pile, a ton of lead would just be so cool to have as a shooter.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #40 - 11/03/13 at 22:12:31

Ed if I knew you lusted after a ton of lead I would have introduced you to my ex wife.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #41 - 11/04/13 at 02:14:41

My thoughts on this... considering there is no "cowboy culture" in Europe and nobody is allowed to carry openly unless you are a LEO in full uniform.

Having to think "what to do, how to protect myself" when all goes haywire, my thoughts immediately go back to the trapper/cowboy who, way back in the 1870's, required a "do-all" cartridge.

One cartridge for his lever-action rifle, and for his revolver.

In those days of "smokey" black powder, it was the 38-40 or the 44-40. These days, you'd translate those black powder cartridges as the  .357Mag and .44Mag. OK, why ? And what do I gain ?

Firsto of all, a revolver and a lever/bolt/pump action rifle chambered for the same cartridge mean you have only half the logistics to worry about,
much like having many vehicles but all running of the same fuel and the same oil (and maybe even the same tire size).
In other words, only one kind of primer, powder, dies and quite possibly even a single bullet design may do.

Secondly, it means that "when out and about" you should never "run out of ammo" for one particular weapon.

Third, both cartidges have the softer, "Special" equivalent caliber which may be reloaded with very soft charges in order to allow for training, plinking (very much the same)
and sub-sonic shooting (when you nees a "poof" not a "bang" as in poaching or getting even).

Fourth, cylindrical cartridges are the simplest to resize and recycle umpteen times, over and over - unlike bottleneck cartridges which may bend, kink and chink beyond hope... and which require jacketed bullets else the barerel leads up.

Last... (and this holds true especially for .44 cartidges) you can concoct your own home made shotshells even for a rifled bore, keeping in mind they're only good a few feet away from the muzzle...
...but they still pack a bang and work when you need to spray the area!

In other words... I wouldn't waste my time with a fancy "assault rifle" stile carbine, nor with an auto that holds 15 rounds in a clip, when I can't reload either... or it's such a hassle that it is eventually not even worth it.

(PS The revolver cartridges also allow you to experiment some veeery interesting bullet designs... )

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #42 - 11/04/13 at 05:30:15

mpescatori wrote Quote:
In other words... I wouldn't waste my time with a fancy "assault rifle" stile carbine, nor with an auto that holds 15 rounds in a clip, when I can't reload either... or it's such a hassle that it is eventually not even worth it.

Interesting post. My go-to gun is in fact a lever action carbine in 44 mag. It holds 10 rounds in the magizine, is short, light, simple to operate and very rugged. But, because of the cartridge it is chambered for, it is NOT a substitute for a real rifle chambered in an actual rifle cartridge. It is in reality a 100 - 150 yard firearm due to the trajectory of the cartridge.

A rifle chambered 223/5.56, regardless of the action type or magizine capacity is a REAL rifle whith a practical effective range of at least 300 yards, and, in the hands of a true marksman, probably twice that. And 223 is the easiest, least expensive, rifle cartridge to reload for. In fact, since my 223 is a bolt action not a semi-auto and therefore dosen't require that I crimp the cartridges, one of the reloading steps is eliminated.( 44 mag cartridges require a very heavy crimp with most powders to work properly)

223/5.56 cartridges are also the least expensive centerfire rifle cartridges for non reloaders to buy, and since they are used by military and law enforcement all over the world, they are very easy to find. If you've got a rifle chambered for 223, regardless of the action type, you are likely to be able to find ammo for it for a good long time and regardless of the political situation.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #43 - 11/04/13 at 06:16:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/01/13 at 16:28:36:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M_Automotive/OEMs/3M_Solutions/W...

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrievalAPI/BlobServlet?lmd=1285959107000&l...

Wink

Now, this isn't the be all end all of information -- it is just what I found when I went looking.    Besides, I have enough lead in muffin tin ingots to last me the rest of my lifetime.   Also, I think you can still buy lead ingot (25 pounders) at industrial and plumbing supply houses.

Whether the above is factual or not... I live in Mississippi. We are a very rural and rather gun loving state. I can tell you the "lead" wheel weights here have dried up. It's 99% bismuth weights. Law or no, lead has left the supply.

Per WD, most "casters" are looking to alternatives for free or low cost lead. Our gun club even got permission to "legally" raid an old hospital for lead shielding ( it was already gone).

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #44 - 11/04/13 at 06:23:31

My thoughts on this... considering there is no "cowboy culture" in Europe and nobody is allowed to carry openly unless you are a LEO in full uniform.

I have done this. I own 4 revolvers, all .357, and one lever action in .357.  While the revos love the .38 to plink and target practice, the lever rifle just needs more power. Range of a .38 target load with rifle is maybe 40 yards before your aiming at the sky completely. Now, did I buy all this with such in mind? Not the revos, but the rifle yes. I don't intend to kid myself. A .357 lever, is in NO WAY a match for a modern 223. But for hunting, and scaring bad guys at night.. it beats sticks and sling shots... and esp.. calling 911.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:20:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Reloading for the rest of us

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.