Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Redoing  my savage (Read 314 times)
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Redoing  my savage
10/23/13 at 16:27:39

Just waiting on my bcb kit did a little rattle can paint, controls are apart at the moment getting painted black what do you guys think of the color it's a little different but it turned out pretty good for my first rattle can spray job?

C360_2013-10-23-19-17-09-320.jpg
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: Redoing  my savage
Reply #1 - 10/23/13 at 16:52:10

You sure are taking the bare-bones bobber concept to the extreme!! Grin

Seriously, though, I thought colors like this wouldn't work but seeing it now, it looks pretty good.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/23/13 at 17:55:07

Yeah I wasn't sure about doing it but I went and did it anyway Smiley

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 10/24/13 at 06:59:02

Lately... as the colors of stock bike are so limited.. any color that isn't black is starting to look to me!

What is you plan for keeping the rattle can paint ... ON the tank (gasoline splash)???

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/24/13 at 07:29:11

Im not seein much 2 up riding on that one any more, ehh!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/29/13 at 17:43:46

I sprayed clear coat over it if that will help Idk but my keystone bars will be in Thursdayand my coke bottle grips iI'll post pics when installed and suggestions or ideas shoot em my way also here's a pic of my socket risers lol

C360_2013-10-27-17-08-24-396.jpg
  IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/29/13 at 17:46:42

The tank was primed and painted and wet sanded and painted again and wet sanded again and painted again and then clear coated

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/31/13 at 07:55:55

Ap5112 wrote on 10/29/13 at 17:46:42:
The tank was primed and painted and wet sanded and painted again and wet sanded again and painted again and then clear coated

AAAAGGGHHHH! Paint WORK,, talk about a buncha persnikkety crap,,SO easy to screw it up & hafta start all over,, tedious stuff, I much prefer the dirty, greasy work on things than the ding danged ratsafrappin snitsafrazzin paint end of it,,
YOu may or may not know this, but I am STILL rasslin with painting a cabinet out in the shop. I dunno WHUT Ive done so wrong.. I have a cheapo gravity fed HVLP type Harbor Fright gun, which is not high quality, we all know, BUT, I WAS getting a good job done with it,,
Then, I cleaned it,, & had to get more paint ready & I think I thinned it a bit more that time,, & I was getting dry areas on the edge of the fan pattern,, SOO, either I need to decrease the fan size, or air pressure or hold it closer or thin it less or, or, or,, & I Dunno which or to go with,,

It didnt have a problem with it running, so,, It wasnt That thin or I didnt get it too close & stack it up & make it drip, or, or, or,,

Anybody able to tell a guy who really doesnt paint a little about HOW to paint? I really dont wanna use anything but sprayed on paint, cuz its a large area & I want it smooove & glossy.. not brush streaked,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 10/31/13 at 09:00:53

Try lowering the pressure in small increments, dry edges sometimes indicate too much atomization, which is caused by too much air pressure.

Also it might behoove you to get a scale to measure the amount of liquid you are thinning your paint with, so you can get a more even density. Measure the weight of your container first, put in liquid and measure the total weight. Test spray...repeat until you have a consistant coating.

I am by no means a master painter, but learned a little from my brother in law, and know just enough to get myself into trouble, because I like taking short cuts and you can't do that with paint.

You should also rig up a poor mans paint booth, use pvc piping to build a frame (sized to your liking), make a square hole in one side, duct tape a cheapo air filter to it, install a fan on the other side pointing outside.

Did I help any?

P.S. Some paint fumes are extremely volatile (explosive) or hazardous to your health (wear a mask). Using any kind of electrical device to rid the booth of fumes could result in an explosion....
Had to add that to save my butt Huh

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/31/13 at 09:16:28

I bought a Harbor Freight HVLP a while back.  They had a $ 6.98 special....but I splurged and spent $ 24 and got a much bigger model.

The first session was a bit frusturating....sometimes it would work fine and then sometimes the paint would just drool out.  I was painting a trailer frame and was moving up and down and in and out....and it turns out I was accidently moving the small knob at the very bottom of the gun by the air fitting.  My other guns don't have this "air flow metering knob"....and once I found it we got along much better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/31/13 at 12:17:50

old_rider wrote on 10/31/13 at 09:00:53:
Try lowering the pressure in small increments, dry edges sometimes indicate too much atomization, which is caused by too much air pressure.

Also it might behoove you to get a scale to measure the amount of liquid you are thinning your paint with, so you can get a more even density. Measure the weight of your container first, put in liquid and measure the total weight. Test spray...repeat until you have a consistant coating.

I am by no means a master painter, but learned a little from my brother in law, and know just enough to get myself into trouble, because I like taking short cuts and you can't do that with paint.

You should also rig up a poor mans paint booth, use pvc piping to build a frame (sized to your liking), make a square hole in one side, duct tape a cheapo air filter to it, install a fan on the other side pointing outside.

Did I help any?

P.S. Some paint fumes are extremely volatile (explosive) or hazardous to your health (wear a mask). Using any kind of electrical device to rid the booth of fumes could result in an explosion....
Had to add that to save my butt Huh

Thats much appreciated,, I have no scales, tho, BUT, I Can measure volumes out,,& I thot maybe it was pressure/fan size/thinner related, so, you confirmed it & that helps me,, I Have gotten good results, It changed when I had to get more paint out of the can & thin it,, I think I went too far with the thinner,, SO, thank you very much.

& I do have a Gin You Wine , carbon filter mask,,
The tough part is keeping the overspray offa my glasses.. I cant use safety glasses & still see well enough.

IP Logged
Ap5112

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/31/13 at 20:49:56

Oh nice I painted in a garage withno mask no nothing hope fully I'll be Ok what a idiot but anyway here's a pic of my new bars got dimpled not knowing what dimpled was they should work still though

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/03/13 at 07:35:37

I knew a guy who walked in the paint booth at Sewell Ford in Odessa to slap some color on a small part,, took him about 5 minutes,, Back when some of these modern paints were just coming out,, hospitalized him, never worked again, Im already injured enough,, I dont need any more toxic crap in me,, Ima Wear carbon filter masks. I found a pair of safety glasses, theyre vented, so, how much theyll protect the eyes & glasses IDK, but theyll surely cut down on the crap I get on the glasses,,I hope I can see well enough.

Ill keep an eye on all the knobs & doo-dads on the thing,, I really think I thinned it too much. Wasnt running,, but I think it was "flashing" & drying in the air on the perimeter of the fan,.

YOu can get a mask with replaceable carbon cartridges for about $30.00 at Lowes. Maybe one o those Israeli gas masks with the face shield would be the answer for me,, but Im not planning on doing much paint work, really.,.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/03/13 at 07:52:38

Harley, stupidly made their handlebar electric control housings without any exit for the wires...
Now, they need dimpled bars to allow space for the wires to get out...

Is it so hard for them to make a hole for the wires to get out?...
Harleytarded... (only Harley and BMW are so stubborn as to screw up a design and fix it by screwing up another part to fix it)...
(I may be wrong there... we do vac pet's)... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/06/13 at 08:20:53

I painted my project with rattle can paint and the covered it with Rustoliem Automotive Clear coat.  Looked great test peices I used seemed to be ok with gas, but first time I put gas in it I tried to pack it and had a big over fill.  Melted it all, paper towels stuck to the tank I was crushed.  It seems that most rattle can paint is lacquer based and not resistent to gas.  You can buy a special sprayer at the automotive paint store and do your own but it cost about the same as having a professional paint it.  The paint a body shop uses has a hardner added to it.   I had to have the tank and fender sand blasted $60, then I stripped the seat cowl with Dads $40.  Then I got a local guy to paint it all for me for $150, the kind of guy that has the shop in his yard, real deal.  Then I had a local sign shop cut the vinyl for the graphics, $40.  All in all it cost me about $300 to fix what I did the first time.  It is the way to go.  Seriously go ahead and put some gas on it in your garage.  Better to find out now and get it fixed than in the spring, and have your whole ride spoiled.  Yours may be fine, but my experience was not!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:31:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Redoing  my savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.