Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oopppssss (Read 286 times)
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Oopppssss
10/22/13 at 21:02:41

Hi folks been lurking for a while, but tonite had a bit of a problem. On my way home from work I think my throttle cable broke, went to go from a stop sign and when I twisted my throttle it just rolled freely and I went no where  :'(. I was quite proud of myself for figuring out how to use the ( and please forgive my lack of tech terminology), little throttle thing on the side of the engine to accelerate and make it home by shifting and hand adjusting the throttle  Grin. Now since I am not at all mechanically inclined I thought I would ask and see if any of you fine folks could tell me how much I should expect to pay to have this fixed? My little War Pony is a daily rider and is quite beat up but oh how I love it. Any help here? Thanks

And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at
morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet
you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-- T.S. Eliot
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oopppssss
Reply #1 - 10/23/13 at 08:20:58

I don't know much about mechanics either but I might be able to help. The piece you was moving sounds like the throttle accelator that is connect to the carb, has the choke knob right next to it? If it is check these first (it will save you money!) look where the cable is coming from the throttle and see if the end of the cable has the small metal dowel still connected to the end because it may have just came loose if it is connected just place it back in its slot and you should be fine.  If it is not then the cable may need to be replaced takes 20 minutes tops. If the cable is still connected to the ccelartor then disconnect your battery and removed your throttle grip and engine switch (they are connected) once you pull of the switch open up the casing and see if the metal dowel on that end has came loose or broke off. If it is disconnected then reconnect if the dowel rod is missing then replace cable. If both dowels on each end of the cable are still connected then inspect your throttle line for a rip or tear then replace it

I'm going to ride whether I have to push this bike or not!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 10/23/13 at 08:30:51

I agree, start simple.  Make sure the cable is seated in it's little slot on the left side of the carb.  If turning your throttle then gives you no response at all, then tug lightly on the exposed cable.  If you can pull it out several inches, then you know there is a break in your cable for sure.  You can get a replacement cable at several online parts stores or ebay.  Replacing it is simply a matter of taking apart the switch housing (2 screws), tanking the tank off, and disconnecting it from the carb.  Aside from time to drain the tank, the actual work portion of this job should only take an hour if you're going slow and having a few beers while you talk to your neighbor.  Wink

Taking apart the right handlebar switch housing is too easy.  HOWEVER, those screws are soft phillips, and they LOVE to strip.  I replaced mine with some nice chrome allen head screws, and I would recommend you do the same.  Work one out and take it with you to your closest ACE, Elliott's, or mom and pop hardware store.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/23/13 at 11:58:22

Hmmmm.Gives me an idea.Suicide throttle.Go good with the jockey shift. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 10/23/13 at 18:02:05

Demin wrote on 10/23/13 at 11:58:22:

"Suicide throttle" Shocked Demin are you sure ya don't have a bit of Kentucky hillbilly in ya??? Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/23/13 at 19:52:57

Demin wrote on 10/23/13 at 11:58:22:

Suicide Throttle+Suicide Shift=Eternal Life

I'm going to ride whether I have to push this bike or not!
  IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #6 - 10/25/13 at 17:38:35

Thank you all, Suicide Throttle huh? I think I know what that is. Is it when you have the shifter on the side like standard shift? I have seen a few bikes with this and have always thought it was so cool looking, Now ya got me wondering, how hard would that be to do...LOL

IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #7 - 10/25/13 at 17:40:45

And Zar I think we may have the same model and color Savage I think mine is a 96 or 97. But def Yellow....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/26/13 at 07:53:02

FrankYoungWolf wrote on 10/25/13 at 17:38:35:
Thank you all, Suicide Throttle huh? I think I know what that is. Is it when you have the shifter on the side like standard shift? I have seen a few bikes with this and have always thought it was so cool looking, Now ya got me wondering, how hard would that be to do...LOL

That's a jockey shift. No such thing as suicide shift, you can have a suicide clutch, which is just a standard Harley rocker clutch through sometime in the mid 1950s when the "sport shifter" (hand clutch foot shift) came onto the market for Panheads.

Easy job by the way. Convert shifter lever to clutch pedal. Look up old Triumph tech articles from The Horse Backstreet Choppers. Have tiny clutch cable made. Weld an outward extension onto the shifter pivot left on the shifter splined shaft after the foot clutch conversion. Weld a new upright shift arm onto the stub. Add a threaded piece to accept a shift knob.

I had a jockey arm all set up for mine, got left behind in WA when we moved in 2011. Even had the real deal pre-ban ivory shift knob out of my late grandfather's truck on it. Never liked the shift knob, and the set up did get used on an old friend's custom XS850 project, so don't mind having left it behind.

I want a thumb throttle for my bike... Why not, it has a front drum, Pan/Knuckle/Vincent brake and clutch perch/lever set, etc...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #9 - 10/26/13 at 09:37:54

if the throttle cable not broke , just off the head from the cable, the problem can be cured yourself  .you must take the electric soldering iron, acid flux and a little bit of solder and soldering head back to cable. if the head is lost, you can use nipple from Bicycle spokes. gently put it on the end of the cable little push mites, treat the flux and solder.it's cheap and very easy.enjoy the trips!
Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/26/13 at 17:37:41

FrankYoungWolf wrote on 10/22/13 at 21:02:41:
Hi folks been lurking for a while, but tonite had a bit of a problem. On my way home from work I think my throttle cable broke, went to go from a stop sign and when I twisted my throttle it just rolled freely and I went no where  :'(. I was quite proud of myself for figuring out how to use the ( and please forgive my lack of tech terminology), little throttle thing on the side of the engine to accelerate and make it home by shifting and hand adjusting the throttle  Grin. Now since I am not at all mechanically inclined I thought I would ask and see if any of you fine folks could tell me how much I should expect to pay to have this fixed? My little War Pony is a daily rider and is quite beat up but oh how I love it. Any help here? Thanks

I should have a spare throttle cable; if so you can have it for shipping cost.

IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #11 - 10/27/13 at 16:28:10

Well folks looks like my Cable is indeed broken. Went out to work on it today hoping for the best but got the worst. So looks like I will need to replace this baby. Wish me luck..LOL. SO Lancer what do ya think it would cost to ship your spare cable? And are you sure you don't want anything for it?

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #12 - 10/27/13 at 20:49:24

Yes, it is a pity of course that such damage was not pleasant... well wish to quickly replace the rope and ...good luck on the road! Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:28:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oopppssss

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.