Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn signal indicator relocation (Read 274 times)
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Turn signal indicator relocation
10/22/13 at 20:58:56

Currently in the process of converting a 2008 S40 into a Ryca CS-1. Never liked the idea of having to look down at the fuel tank see if your blinker is on. With a full face helmet this becomes particularly troublesome. Is there a way to relocate the indicators to the handlebar area?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Turn signal indicator relocation
Reply #1 - 10/23/13 at 03:42:25

There is no problem extending the wires and moving the indicator(s) up to the handlebar area......it will be one of the simplest things you do in a RYCA conversion.  Picking the style of indicator light you use will take some though.  If you can see the top of your headlight bucket you might consider putting them into the top of the bucket - and if you get a diode kit you can just use one indicator light for both sides, and just tap into the turn signal wires that supply power to the front turn signals instead of extending the existing indicator light.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/719/diode-kit

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 10/23/13 at 05:13:18

Ragnar444 wrote on 10/22/13 at 20:58:56:
Currently in the process of converting a 2008 S40 into a Ryca CS-1. Never liked the idea of having to look down at the fuel tank see if your blinker is on. With a full face helmet this becomes particularly troublesome. Is there a way to relocate the indicators to the handlebar area?

Agree 100% about looking down at the tank. I look at the front turn signal itself instead.  It's easy to see the stock lights in the stock location with a quick glance. May or may not be an option for you depending on what lights you use and where you locate them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/23/13 at 05:44:24

Yep......I agree.....I wear a full face helmet and it was horribly annoying to have to take my eyes completely off the road and tilt my head down to see the speedometer.  The turn signal indicators could flash a long time without me every seeing them.

Now I have a Vapor Speedo and incicator lights up on the top of the forks.....and I can actuallyl see them with a quick eye movement instead of a "head nod".

IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/24/13 at 15:07:09

Here is an idea. Connect the turn signal indicator via Bluetooth to a beeper inside the helmet. Shocked

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 10/24/13 at 16:29:30

Ragnar444 wrote on 10/24/13 at 15:07:09:
Here is an idea. Connect the turn signal indicator via Bluetooth to a beeper inside the helmet. Shocked

Yet another invention worthy of trying... but it would have to be toned down so it wouldn't blind you while turning.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/25/13 at 14:11:11

Here is the type of thing I'm considering. Just something, near the handlebars, to let me know a few key readings.

3465-40.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/26/13 at 12:32:36

I have the Vaportech and dash on my bike.  I like it.

Installation is not too tough.....just a bunch of wires to hook up.  The blue lights they give you for the turn signals and high beam are a bit hard to see in the daylight.....but they can be seen if you are looking at them.  I didn't put the temperature sensor on the sparkplug, as the hole is very tight down there and it would be hard to find room.  Instead I placed the sensor on the left rear cylinder stud, and it works fine there.  The tach needs a resister installed in the wire if you decide to hook the sensor wire up to the coil......you have the option of wrapping the wire around the spark plug lead.  I may actually try that as the connection to the coil gives a false reading sometimes.

Decompressor_005.jpg

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/29/13 at 13:47:33

I have the stock chrome headlight assembly on my bike and the front turn signals a clearly visible in the reflective surface.

IP Logged
ahernandez74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/29/13 at 14:55:41

Very nice heads up console. I'm also seriously considering it now because how dave mentioned it's an easy install...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/29/13 at 16:55:35

ahernandez74 wrote on 10/29/13 at 14:55:41:
Very nice heads up console. I'm also seriously considering it now because how dave mentioned it's an easy install...

I don't remember saying it was easy?  It was not too tough!

Making the custom mount took about 4 hours, running the wires, mounting the magnet on the front hub, mounting the sensor on the forks,  and getting it all hooked up another 4 hours or so.....it is an all day project if you want it to look like it is a factory installation.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 10/30/13 at 09:51:02

Why do you need to look at the light?  I just push the button to turn it off.  If its already off, then no harm is done by pushing the button again!  If you're trying to confirm that they are on, then slide the slide.  If its already over there, then it must be on.  To confirm that they just physically work, on the other had, do it while you're stopped.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/30/13 at 09:57:58

The speedometer and high beam lights are also down there on the tank and required me to rotate my entire full coverage helmet down to see what was going on....not just a quick glance with my eyes.  I also was replacing the tank with a different one......so I needed to find something different than stock.

For the OP......he could just add an additional small light up on the handlebars, mirrors or fork yoke that is tapped into the wiring for the front turn signals.  That would be easy/peasy!

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #13 - 10/30/13 at 11:45:32

I don't like where the speedo and indicator lights are either.
I machined my own top triple clamp and I want to create a dash that will attach to it with the speedo and tack from Ryca mounted in it with somehow adopting the stock turn signal/ high beam lens in the dash as well as a neutral light all using the stock wire loom (although slightly modified to work).  I want to machine a water proof box similar to the plastic fixture Suzuki uses to mount below the dash, between the clocks to hold the light bulbs and sockets.  Still need to design that though.  I am expecting my shipment from Ryca today so I can measure the clocks then work on the first prototype made out of aluminum for the dash.
Gerry

« Last Edit: 11/24/13 at 09:23:25 by Gerry »  

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Ragnar444

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/30/13 at 12:24:25

Thanks for the help guys. What an awesome forum! Bought a 2008 S40 with only 1100 miles on it. I fell in love with it the minute I popped it into gear and twisted the throttle.
Just realized I have a new speedo and tach coming with my Ryca kit. Thinking of making a small aluminum mounting plate with a couple LED indicator lights for neutral, turn signals, and high beam.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal indicator relocation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.