Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Power outage. Main fuse blowing (Read 471 times)
walker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Power outage. Main fuse blowing
10/22/13 at 19:48:35

Hello there.  Awesome forum btw!

2004 Savage, 6,500 miles on it.  (2,500 my own, been riding it since August with no issues- awesome bike!)  Sexy silver and black.  all stock.

problem:  Sunday morning it just died when I was on my way to church. Like lights, power, engine, everything just power out. I pushed it back up-hill to my apartment.  that afternoon I took off the seat and it turns out the main fuse was blown.  

I replaced the fuse.  It started right up.  I let it idle for like 2 minutes then I got on it, switched into gear and rolled around on the parking lot.  I got up to about 10 MPH in first gear, revved high and then it died again.  Power out. Nothing.  No difference what position the ignition was in.  I parked it.

Yesterday I took the seat off again and replaced the fuse.  as soon as I turned the ignition key it blew the fuse.  I did this twice.  I peaked around and found all the wires to look pretty stock, like new. Put it back together and left it sitting.

A friend told me it is probably a gad ground or something along those lines.

Then today I took off the seat and looked around at the wires.  They all look good, but I didn't trace all of them or use an OHM meter to test them.  I did use my neighbors OHM meter to test the battery- it is fine. I disconnected the ground with the clip-deal connected to the negative battery terminal.  I forgot to put it back in-- then I put in a new fuse.

The parking light would come on with the ignition turned to park.  nothing else would happen besides that.  My friend saw that I forgot to reconnect the ground.  He reconnected it.  the lights came on, fuse didn't blow.  we stared the bike. I let it idle.  I revved it in neutral a bunch of times and it all stayed on, lights and everything.  

I put the seat on without really putting everything back together.  Rode it gently up and down the lot, revving it a couple of times.  Parked it.  Very happy that I friend was good luck, since we didn't really do anything, we put it back together.  We chatted for a bit, I figured I'd ride it once more up and down the street before it got dark.

Got on, went a little less gently, but not too fast.  it died when I was in first gear revving up about to switch into second.  I hadn't even gone 50 feet.
-_-

I'm wondering why its blowing fuses when I rev it while it is in gear.  I don't think its the ignition since it stars with a new fuse.  

Any ideas?

(I've been commuting on this bike every day for the last 3 months and driving a car these last couple days is driving me crazy haha!)

IP Logged
Andreas
YaBB Newbies

Badass

Re: Power outage. Main fuse blowing
Reply #1 - 10/23/13 at 02:43:14

The only thing I could think off, that has to do with both electrical and transmission is the neutral switch.
How about disconnecting it and give it a try?
I am attaching the connector location (picture taken from Savage companion CD)

Currently on two wheels... I lost the other two of my car!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/23/13 at 06:49:58

You have some kind of a short somewhere that is blowing the fuse.  Start it up, turn the forks left and right and see what happens....could be in the wiring harness at the forks.  If that is not it look at the wiring harness down at the bottom of the engine behind the drive pulley, and then just start pulling and wiggling wires and see what makes the fuse flow.  You probably don't need to have the bike running....just watch for the headlight to go out when the fuse blows.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
walker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/24/13 at 21:02:07

Roger that! Thanks for the ideas.  I'll update as soon as I get another chance to work on it.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 10/25/13 at 01:36:19

I had a problem with mine as well.  I gently wrapped all exposed and old wires with electrical tape that might rub against anything after I found the short.  I keep a couple extra fuses and tape in my bag at all tines.  No problems yet, 6 months later.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
JLight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/25/13 at 13:38:18

This going to sound strange but it's what was wrong with my '87 when I had that issue.  My flasher unit for the blinkers was bad.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/26/13 at 08:20:47

My 98 did that a few times when it was still under warranty. Had it checked, everything tested out fine, and after awhile the issue went away on its own.

Suzuki is well known, to the point of notorious, for having the worst seats and worst electrical parts of the Japanese Big 4 bike producers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/27/13 at 06:49:55

Pull the seat, look around for wires that are crossing over the frame, under the seat & being pressed on.Nothing? Pull the tank, look around. Eyeball every wire you can see, anything close to stuff that moves, the belt, a pulley, anything. Look to see if wires got close enough to heat to soften them up & let electrons from a 12 volt wire pass into a ground wire or spill directly onto the chassis before they go thru the load theyre meant for,
You dont have a bad connection, you have a short, a short is when current finds a way to flow unimpeded by an electronic resistive load, The electrons too a short-cut & happily went to ground w/o doing any work.

& if youd rather swap an automotive flasher unit into it for a few buc\ks & get that variable outta the way,, thats problee a good idea. It mite save a coupla hours inspecting stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 10/27/13 at 07:48:12

Andreas wrote on 10/23/13 at 02:43:14:
The only thing I could think off, that has to do with both electrical and transmission is the neutral switch.
How about disconnecting it and give it a try?
I am attaching the connector location (picture taken from Savage companion CD)
http://s9.postimg.org/4jdmpizhn/neutralswcon.jpg

Have you had a chance to test this theory? It sounds about right.... Maybe if you were to change the fuse, start the bike and shift from neutral to 1st, to neutral to 2nd a few times while holding the brake, to see if it blows, do you have a really bright neutral light? does the neutral light flash brightly when you shift on the way into 2nd gear?
The other thing is to check that engine ground wire.... take it off and clean under it anyway, maybe check its resistance when it is not connected to anything, it could have broken wires under the wrap that have corroded over time.
Just an idea...hope you figure it out.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
walker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/27/13 at 22:27:09

Thanks for all the great imput!

So I was fiddling around with it again today.  Disassembled the seat and the side covers and stuff and re-eyeballed the wires.  I almost decided to take the tank off but I didn't, I might next time If I don't figure it out soon.

The fuse never blows with the negative battery terminal disconnected, which makes sense.  
The fuse doesn't blow when I turn the handlebars left and right.
The fuse doesn't blow when I shift gears (went around from N-1-2 a couple of times)

The fuse blows whenever it feels like.  I only had about 7 fuses to play with so I didn't really get to scientifically diagnose it.  I blew all seven without figuring much out.

One time I did look at the neutral light and tried the horn, the horn was weak and the neutral light dimmed when I tried the signals and hazards.  That fuse blew shortly after.  Tried another a couple minutes later and started the bike, the light was strong and the horn was loud.  

On my last two fuses I think I found that the short or ground has to be above the seat part, either under the tank or in the handlebar connections.  I'm going to buy a 25 pack of fuses and make a run at it again soon.

sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm really tired, but I didn't want to leave anyone hanging.  I really appreciate all the help.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 10/27/13 at 23:27:38

]I don't have a manual at all, gonna have to get one. Sounds like you need to start from where the power is generated and work your way out from there. Someone is gonna have to talk you thru it since i'm trying to picture what is happening electrically.

Take the tank off, it is fairly easily done... then chase a few wires... if that don't work start at the beginning.

When you apply torque shifting into second it blows a fuse...... when torque is applied power is needed.... i'd start at power supply.

When you tried signals and hazards you blew a fuse, when more power is needed for lighting i'd start at the power supply..

See where i'm going?   I'm not sure, but one of the guru's should step in to help if they are around. Internet trouble shooting sux....would be great if you were like next door or close.

Also what regulates the voltage?? doesn't that come after power supply?
In the chain of power creation I mean.

Hang in there someone with more backround should be here.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #11 - 10/28/13 at 00:32:04

Fuse blows cause something draws much current. You can put a bulb between battery + and the wire. If it lights you have something that draws current. That way you can check all wires, if it lights up something draws current. With that bulb in you will lose current for functions, but it seems that it's not any of them. But a short will light it. Normally it should not light, if there is noting that draws current.
Think about it, put a bulb instead of the fuse, when it lights up you have a short.

« Last Edit: 10/28/13 at 01:41:29 by swedishbiker »  
14365412   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/28/13 at 09:24:04

swedishbiker wrote on 10/28/13 at 00:32:04:
Fuse blows cause something draws much current. You can put a bulb between battery + and the wire. If it lights you have something that draws current. That way you can check all wires, if it lights up something draws current. With that bulb in you will lose current for functions, but it seems that it's not any of them. But a short will light it. Normally it should not light, if there is noting that draws current.
Think about it, put a bulb instead of the fuse, when it lights up you have a short.

I think your "bulb" test works for finding a short that pulls a battery down when the key is off - but this problem works with the key "ON".  When the key is switched "ON" the headlight, running lights, tail light, neutral light, coil and charging system are all energized......and your test light is going to light up....and this provides no useful information.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/28/13 at 09:59:03

Have a fuse that's blowing?

HF has a meter that replaces the fuse.
This would be ok for running down a short that blows with certain activity.
ie. you can stop the short by not doing the activity, and prevent a melt down.

A cheap version of this is replace the fuse with a 12v light wired into the fuse box.  The light controls current, excessive current blows light.  Safe.
To use while running, should be same wattage as fuse or no go or not go for very long.

1st thing to do is examine the wiring harness for overheating.  Since it's intermittent, it'll be dam hard to find otherwise.  Examine the connectors for burning caused by high current.

I would unplug 1 component at a time to see which one is causing the problem.  While it may not be the component, at least you'll know which circuit to examine.

And it might not be just one thing, could be several together.   Shocked  <happy thoughts... happy thoughts...>

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/28/13 at 10:16:24

A light will go REal Bright or blow. YOu can watch it go from normal to Small Sun. Dont let it do that for too long, else youll melt wires.

You can use a Big Bulb & see it go from barely lit to well lit,, & thats sure to not blow & save your wires,, be kerfull!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:15:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Power outage. Main fuse blowing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.