Sad, really. (Read 120 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Sad, really.
10/22/13 at 13:24:32

Here in the Syracuse area, a youngish couple decided to get motorcycles licenses so they could buy a Spyder and do some travelling.  Signed up for the local MSF beginners  rider's course. On the second day, the gal grabbed he front brake, went head over the handlebars and despite a full head helmet, died.  Her finance was in the group taking the lesson..  Seems so wrong in so many levels.... :'( :'( :'( :'(

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Sad, really.
Reply #1 - 10/22/13 at 14:55:57

That is sad. She was either going at pretty good clip. or she locked that bugger up tighter than Jack Benny and $50 bill.

When I ride... I fully understand the consequences... someday.. it may be me... its a high risk. Somehow, even though I acknowledge the risk and accept it for myself... I shudder thinking of some lass doing the same. Sexist I guess. Oh I wouldn't say anything.... but sometimes I think it. Course, theres gals that ride like they were born on it. Theres all kinds I guess. I am a nervous fellow at heart.

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/22/13 at 15:13:17

That's terrible.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 15:43:10

I wonder if she didnt think she was grabbing a hand full of clutch & then gripped tighter out of fear when it didnt do what she was expecting..
Talk about a shame,, that IS sad..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 10/22/13 at 16:12:30

From what I understand, which is little, she was just getting underway- they hardly break 5 mph in the parking lot where the training takes place.
Probably thought she was grabbing the clutch.

As noted in a local paper, it was terrible for the Motorcycles Safety Instructor as well as the other participants (as indicated including he fiancé)

Trying to do the right thing  and yet..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/22/13 at 17:23:22

Wow, so very sad.
Accidents happen every day in all sorts of circumstances and we never know when it will be that OUR number will be called by God and we leave this world.
The dude probably feels a great deal of responsibility  for putting her in the position that led to her death.  I really hope that is not the case but it is a natural response most of the time.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 10/22/13 at 21:29:46

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/elbridge_woman_dies_during_mot...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/medical_condition_responsible_...

Quote:
DeWitt, N.Y. -- Marianne Pitcher -- who died unexpectedly during a motorcycle class Sunday in DeWitt -- likely died as a result of an undiagnosed medical condition, her husband said.

Eric Pitcher said an official from the Onondaga County Medical Examiner's Office called him Monday night with preliminary autopsy results.

Marianne apparently had a heart condition that she was probably born with. An artery was about a centimeter too high on his 39-year-old wife's heart and could have failed at anytime, Eric said.

"It just happened to be the time she was on the motorcycle," he said.

Eric said the medical examiner's office told him his wife had no bruises, broken bones or other injuries.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 10/23/13 at 06:38:17

Still very, very sad, but that makes a lot more sense than being injured seriously enough in a 5 mph endo to die.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 10/23/13 at 06:39:20

Well that explains a lot...

BTW ... umm from what I have seen the CAM AM spyder has only  a break pedal... there is no front brake/back brake... It works like a car.

Still sad. Congenital defects are less uncommon than we would hope, or at least as far as my experience. I had an uncle die at a age 56, weak spot on the heart. I have a buddy got kicked out of the army. We were in band together and marched for years in the hot sun. He is a strong person, but they found a "bleb" on his lung, (weak spot). It popped at boot camp, and one lung deflated. It was a "well this sucks" kinda thing.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/23/13 at 07:18:21

Terrible accident, makes me think of similar incidents that make no sense like when high school kids die from football practice, getting hit by a baseball and such.  You just don't know what's going to do you in, live life and try to enjoy the moment. I feel for her family and especially for her fiancé who had to witness it  :'(

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 10/23/13 at 11:20:35

Anytime a person man or woman is killed on a bike,
it makes me sad.
So sad that the problem with her heart wasn't found sooner.
I wonder if the excitement from taking the class and actually
riding the bike had something to do with it?
If I do go while riding my bike, I will at least be doing something
I enjoy.
All of my family know I am not giving up the bike and have come
to realize it is a part of my life for as long as I can ride.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 10/23/13 at 14:07:38

Thanks for posting the update - died while she happened to be learning to ride.  That should take a load of "guilt" off the instructor and beau.  

I had just read the item you posted and was preparing the update.  Somehow, knowing it was just gonna happen one day.. much like the annual high school athlete dies unexpectedly story.

I hope all find solace, prayers for them all.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #12 - 10/23/13 at 19:37:28

Very sad, my cousins wife was just 24 years old with 3 month old twin boys. She was talking on the phone and just slumped over dead. It was an embolism in her brain... I guess we can go at any minute of any day. Good advice to live every day as if were your last... It just might be.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 10/23/13 at 21:37:16

Good advice Star! I'm 59 and I've lost more close friends than my Dad has at 79. I know I'm a walking timebomb with all my diseases. My family and friends mean more to me now than ever.  I want to leave here on a good note.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 10/24/13 at 03:00:16

Sad story indeed Sad

As a certified Motorcycle Training Instructor who has seen many Students hit the front binder too hard, I can tell you that it is near impossible to make a typical Training Bike (especially the Cruisers like the GZ250 & CMX250) endo at 5 or 10 mph (physics won't allow it) ... even very unlikely at speeds higher than that. Front brake lock can and often does result in the Bike going down, particularly if front wheel isn't perfectly straight ... endos are typically pulled off by skilled stunters riding Bikes with higher centers of gravity, who know how to shift their body weight toward the front of the Bike to help make the rear wheel lift under hard (front) braking ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:28:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Sad, really.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.