Tested the yammy (Read 118 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Tested the yammy
10/22/13 at 07:03:21

So I finally got together with the owner of the Yammy 1100 ( V-Star).  I went for a ride out on the Trace... so very easy ride.

Lord that's one massive fat bike (compared to my Savage). I kept stalling on take-off. Just not enough gas.

The bike has 46,000 miles, but has been well taken care of. It's a commuter bike  like mine) but his commute was 30 miles each way! It has those long skinny Cobra pipes .. so it drones on as you ride. I like the throaty part... but that drone at speed gets under my skin.

Floor boards front and back... not use to those at all. Clutch is easier than the Savage.. me likey as at a light the Savage gets wearisome. 50 mph to 60mph, is near instant... wowzers. I can stand flat footed but my leg touches the pipe. I cant reach the pegs on the hiway bars. Needs a new rear tire. He has risers on it so its an easy and comfortable bike to steer, no stretching at all.  Bike has sat for nearly the entire summer, needs a good cleaning.

The bike does swallow me up, I am a little guy ( 5'7" 160lbs), with short legs and longer torso. Out on the straight road its no problem. But then that's never the tricky part. I backed it up.. OK not bad. Gonna try a few more rides before I say yes.

These bikes weight in at over 800 lbs. A triumph America at 800 CC is only 550lbs.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tested the yammy
Reply #1 - 10/22/13 at 07:15:18

50 mph to 60mph, is near instant... wowzers.  Needs a new rear tire.

Gee,, Im SHAWKKT!  

Ya know, the bigger the grin the more ya spend, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/22/13 at 07:45:04

I'm in the boat of looking at a Triumph america too.
The 5.1 gallon tank is awful attractive in terms of range.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 08:53:49

Pine

I was torn between the Triumph (550) and the Sportster (590 lbs).  You looked at the Speedmaster Triumph yet ?  800 lbs is a lot !

We're comming up on the best time of year to buy a bike ... hang in there .... you know picking a bike is like picking a woman .   Take the one you can't live with-out !  Cheesy  not just the one that will do !  Wink

Pro-rate the money and it doin't seem like so much !  Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 10/22/13 at 11:13:46

MMRanch wrote on 10/22/13 at 08:53:49:
Pine

I was torn between the Triumph (550) and the Sportster (590 lbs).  You looked at the Speedmaster Triumph yet ?  800 lbs is a lot !

We're comming up on the best time of year to buy a bike ... hang in there .... you know picking a bike is like picking a woman .   Take the one you can't live with-out !  Cheesy  not just the one that will do !  Wink

Pro-rate the money and it doin't seem like so much !  Grin Grin Grin

Well I wasn't really shopping.. but I guess I should. Triumphs are scarce around here. best I can recall the speedmaster is the same bike ( more less) as the America, but blacked out/less chrome. Either would be fine by me.  I think the America is more set up to two-up as it comes. The Speedmaster I think would need some leather.  

The deal is this .. sunday school teacher bought the yammy brand new and last year bought an HD in a move up. He is offering me the Yammy for $3500.. or it goes on Craigslist for $4500.  That's a pretty hard price to pass up.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 10/22/13 at 11:35:26

MMRanch wrote on 10/22/13 at 08:53:49:
.... you know picking a bike is like picking a woman .   Take the one you can't live with-out !  Cheesy  not just the one that will do !  Wink

Yeah but..... I chose to have "two" bikes..... you think the wife will get the hint??  Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 10/22/13 at 12:39:23

Pine

I only gave $3,100 for a 2007 883 with less than 5000 miles on it ...

The speedmaster was the one I was looking at , the 19" front tire and mag wheels is what I was after also the seat off the America will fit it (I would have been all over Ebay looking for one (America Seat)) , but then I found the Sportster.    Hydrolic lifters are quiet  / truble-free and belt drive is clean / easy / more effecent than shaft.    If you have never drove the 1200 sportster , let me tell ya .... 70 mph in second gear come "REALLY QUICK".  Shocked

The 883 comes gear lower but I've changed mine to the 1200 gearing (primary drive)+(front secondary drive pulley --- ebay)  Under $100 for the switch and I may get some of my $$$ back in the spring when I sell the 883 primary sprocket and chain + the secondary front pulley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 10/22/13 at 13:44:41

Pine

You could always buy it from him, ride it for awhile and re-sell it if you do not get used to it. Of course it might take awhile to re-sell, but you could price it for what you bought it for and get it done.

I didn't see the year..but do a Kelly blue book in motorcycles and get an idea what it is worth

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/22/13 at 14:40:46

When you ride a motorcycle that is too heavy and large for you to sit on comfortably, and does not fit you like a glove, your asking for a accident. I have saved myself from several accidents because my bike is so nimble and easy to control. I used to own a couple of Harleys and the weight ratio to me made for not a very safe ride except for on interstates. I'm talking more of weight and size than I am horsepower. You can handle horsepower but if I was to have to  man handle 800 lbs of bike in a unstable condition, I am most likely going to go down. At least you can plant both feet on the ground. i would be on my tip toes.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 10/22/13 at 14:40:57

old_rider wrote on 10/22/13 at 13:44:41:
Pine

You could always buy it from him, ride it for awhile and re-sell it if you do not get used to it. Of course it might take awhile to re-sell, but you could price it for what you bought it for and get it done.

I didn't see the year..but do a Kelly blue book in motorcycles and get an idea what it is worth

Thanks all .. keep it coming.. it does kinda helps the ole brain work it all out.

I was actually thinking of doing this.  The bike is all set to two-up with an upgraded ( $250) rear seat, trunk with arm rests... so the passenger is really pretty comfy. saddle bags, windshield... power plug for the GPS, GPS mount.. extra lights... If I drop $3500, possibly a new rear tire, I still should be able to clear my money come say march or april.

I guess the things that are slowing me down:
sooooo heavy
really not my style... big ole fat fenders, fat front tire, fat everything
(though that big ole fat seat is heaven!!!!!)
just plain nervous of two-up no matter the bike. So getting a two-up bike means .. I then have no excuse not to two-up other than my own nerves.  Think about .. with me on a bike... if I die.. its just an old dad. If we both die.. my kids are orphans!!!!
Frick.. theres an America for sale 100 miles away for $6700... theres a speedmaster ( 2012!!!!!) 200 miles away for $6900!!!! Theres a Rocket for sale all set for two-up for $7900!!!!! That Rocket has everything you can put on a bike. fully set up. The speedmaster is bare bones.. not even a windshield or back seat!  Who the heck told me to go looking!!!

Prices bottom out here about mid January when the Christmas Visa bill comes due.....    Grin

PS: changing the oil filter means dropping the pipes... how freaky is that??

PPS: I like the HS Sportster... its like a grown up Savage. 883 or 1200. But they are just plain pricy here, compared to every other bike. Its dumb.  I have not decide to give up the Savage, its paid for, run perfect, and has less than 7000 miles on it. As a 10 mile commuter bike is perfect.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #10 - 10/22/13 at 16:06:38

I have a 2005 V Star 1100 and love it for long hauls. Mine has Cobra drag pipes, front and rear floor boards, crash bar with hard lowers and highway pegs. I put a set of  bike specific Tsukayu hard saddlebags and the Tsukayu 6x9 fairing. You can always modify the stock seat or get a Corbin seat  and also get a lowering kit.

As far as value, my 2005 is worth $4325 retail and $2970 trade in according to Kelley Blue Book (add a couple of hundred dollars for fairing, hard bags, and trailer hitch). KBB doesn't take into account for mileage on motorcycles. NADA lists a 2005 with all that I added as: $4056 to $5311 for retail.

If you can swing it, get the 1100 and keep the Savage. That's what I did (along with picking up a 1988 Intruder 750). I might let my two boys have the S40 and Intruder................... NOT!  Cheesy

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 10/22/13 at 16:26:01

Pine

A buddy of mine had one of those yahama s  (1100 or 1300 ???),  he would take it to the shop and let them change the oil , and put tires on and such ... but its a lot more $$$ than what I'm used too.  He rode with a bunch of Harley guys and he'd tell me "Those harleys just wind and wind for ever!", They used to run off and leave him at will.   Personaly I haven't been over 90 mph in years and doin't see no great need to go faster than that in the near future either.

I found mine on Ebay back in late winter.   I may be missing something but a bike with 40+ K-miles seems like $1,500 on the high end ??? Huh to me anyway.    

Blue book value is what ?

clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #12 - 10/22/13 at 16:58:22

I ride a 2007 1100 Silverado. Stock it sucked. POD filters on carbs, Cobra pipes and jetted to fit. Runs like a bat outa hell. Seat sucks, got PCS seat. Ditched the crash bar for forward controls. LOVE IT!!!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 10/22/13 at 17:15:59

I hear it was the bread and butter of the yammy cruisers.  Then they came out with the 1300.  Only negative thing I heard, was to change the oil filter you have to take the pipe off or loosen it.  Other than that it is supposed to be bullet proof.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #14 - 10/22/13 at 17:30:15

If the pipes burn your leg you'll have to lean the bike over to the opposite side of the pipes everytime you stop. Nothing that cant be acomplished. I've had 3 Triumphs. Best built bikes I ve ever owned but if you dont like them dont get one. To my knowledge there are no bad bikes being built anymore, even the Harleys we make fun of are good bikes. My baby brother has a 2003 with over 70,000 carefree miles on it. I would look around, a good deal is not a good deal if in the long run if you dont like it or it just doesnt fit. One thing to remember, an aircooled bike is good for 100,000 miles, watercooled 200,000 or more. If you dont commute every day and maintain it you'll never wear either one out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:26:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tested the yammy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.