Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone own a travel trailer? (Read 176 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Anyone own a travel trailer?
10/21/13 at 09:59:10

I bought a 22 footer Fri. Made the dealership an offer, they refused it and I walked off. Two weeks later the phone rang and it was the dealership. They asked me if my offer was still good, I told them yes and they said come and get it. I've got a lot of work to do to my truck to pull it, wiring and such. Push a button and the dinette slides out and you have plenty of floor space. It has two bunkbeds for my grandsons and a queen bed for me and the Mrs Its really for my grandsons. Before Dad built his home on HWY 80 he would take us camping and those are some of my fondest memories. I hope I live long enough to enjoy it many years with my grandsons. I took the youngest one tent camping back in July with Preacher Mike.He wasnt even 2 but he hasnt forgot it. Everytime he see's a tent he has a fit. Anyone else out there have one, any tips or recomendations?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Anyone own a travel trailer?
Reply #1 - 10/21/13 at 10:10:10

IDK what it takes to winterize one, but Id want to know before it gets cold,,

You mite wanna go back to the dealership & go to the parts counter & ask for a catalog. YOu wouldnt Be LEEVE the cool stuff you can get. They sell stuff for those things that I can see using in little projects, hardware for all kindsa stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 10/21/13 at 11:56:05

I had an old one. The hot water tank was the lowest point for water. It had a spicket on it and you drained it that way and I poured windshield wiper antifreeze in the pea traps. This one has a fitting you can hook your air compressor up and blow the water out of it opening the spigots. I'm still gonna put antifreeze in the pea traps. Talking about accesories my wife ordered $400 worth last night. My lot is covered with oak trees, $250 of the $400 was for a cover. I dont want it to sit under an oak tree uncovered. They make some nice covers now with a zippered door like a tent where the camper door is and you dont have to remove the cover to get in and out. I wish I could still ride, they even make motorcycle racks to go on the back of them. She's already hollerin for a TV but thats why I go camping, to get away from all that stuff. I'd rather have a good book, but i guess it will probably have a TV LOL. It has a built in antennae and a lot of campgrounds have cable. It would be OK if it set into raining I guess. Thats about all I know.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/21/13 at 12:01:48

She's already hollerin for a TV but thats why I go camping, to get away from all that stuff.

Thats how I used to feel, absolutely.. It grates on me trying to enjoy the world & someone has a radio jammin,, BUt, now, the way I feel? Ill Take some Tee Vee,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/21/13 at 14:45:48

That's what headphones/ear buds are for.   Wink

IP Logged
Lojim
YaBB Newbies

Every man needs a
place to retreat

Mechanicsburg, PA
Reply #5 - 10/21/13 at 17:09:14

I have owned a travel trailer of some kind for the past 10 years. They are great to have and use, but you need to be smart about all things camping to make them last.

22 footer - make sure you get a brake controller and I suggest a weight disturbing ion hitch. You may not need it - but they tow a hell of a lot better with one. I also suggest tow mirrors to see around it.

My biggest pet peeve is when you set it up. The jacks in the corners are stabilizer jacks - not leveling jacks. You can tweak the frame by trying to level it from the corners. I use lynx leveling blocks. Level side to side first using the blocks under the wheels, then front to back with the tongue jack.

We do keep everything we need in the camper so it is great having the space. We do have a tv and DVD player as a just in case for rainy weather with the kids. 22 feet will get small fast in this situations.

Above all - enjoy it!

...someone tell my wife I'm not crazy...

2003 Suzuki Savage 650
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #6 - 10/21/13 at 19:50:21

Depending on how many miles, or the age of the trailer I would put
a brake check-up near the top of your priority list. A wheel bearing
check and lube should be a part of that service.
I'd also check the date codes and load ratings on your tires and be
sure that they are "trailer rated" construction.
If you didn't get a trailer wiring diagram and parts and service manuals
for all of the installed equipment, now would be a good time to start
tracking them down. Having them on hand could save you hours or
days of down time on the road. My 40+ years of motorhoming and
trailering have taught me that I can fix most problems myself if I have
the proper technical information at hand.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 10/21/13 at 22:08:51

I have a coleman seapine pop up I tow with a 4cyl Tacoma for 8yrs now
1 insure you drain/flush and rv anti freeze every year
2 don't over adjust the electric brakes they are for assist only!!never use the thumb lkever to slow you down on down hills use the tranny in a lower gear,dont be in a hurry your on vacation!
3 cover tires all winter DONT apply any tire shine crap even better to get em up off the ground too
4 a small solar charger up to 2 watts or so along with all led bulbs in the camper makes for more enjoyable off grid extended stays
5 two propane tanks are worth the investment for longer stays
6 modern marine/rv battery worth the investment
7 try not to haul water,fill up the tank as close to your camp site as you can,do research
8 bag awnings need to be stowed inside when towing

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 10/23/13 at 16:13:35

I have a 1971 Kenskill MKIII 24ft travel trailer I have recently acquired. It is sitting on my Nevada property at the moment and I plan on restoring it once we get our house built.

At the moment it is sitting up on blocks and boarded up. I myself can hardly wait to get it restored so we can use it for it's primary purpose.

It needs a lot of work but I can't complain as I got it for free from a guy up in Nevada who just wanted it off of his property because it reminded him too much of his ex-wife.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #9 - 10/27/13 at 00:57:37

the trailer? such an approach? Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 10/27/13 at 06:32:18

I'm thinking the engine casing on that HOG are just for show and there is a V8 hiding behind that drivers seat and cowling.

My Harley is belt driven and would not pull a trailer that size LOL!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ESLloyd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/27/13 at 14:02:14

If the water heater does not have a bypass,install one.Leave drain plug on water heater out or tap open over the winter.Use plumbers antifreeze in the water system.Unhook supply line going to water pump and fabricate a line for the antifreeze jug.Use the pump to put the antifreeze through the system.Many people blow the lines out with compressed air. I did that for years but had one not clear all the water,froze and split a plastic water line.Major pain to repair.$12 of plumbers antifreeze once a year much easier.Actually I have to winterize my motorhome this week.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #12 - 10/27/13 at 20:43:34

I also think that the staff engine Harley unlikely to pull the trailer. maybe this is simply an option only for the show. but it would be darn cool to pass on such a just on the highway! Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/28/13 at 09:22:17

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/23/13 at 16:13:35:
I have a 1971 Kenskill MKIII 24ft travel trailer I have recently acquired. It is sitting on my Nevada property at the moment and I plan on restoring it once we get our house built.

At the moment it is sitting up on blocks and boarded up. I myself can hardly wait to get it restored so we can use it for it's primary purpose.

It needs a lot of work but I can't complain as I got it for free from a guy up in Nevada who just wanted it off of his property because it reminded him too much of his ex-wife.

You spose she needed a lot of work, too?

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #14 - 10/29/13 at 20:58:11

Thanks Lojim. I've bought everything you recomended. Its a new trailer. I have a line to hook my air compressor to blow all the water out  but I've heard of people doing  that and still have lines freeze. Some say open the spigots one at a time when doing that. What do you reccomend? The hot water tank has a 1 and 1/8 nut on the bottom of it. Should I remove the nut and let it drain to? I dont see how the compressed air could drain it? I dont want to have to start repairing it next spring.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:19:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone own a travel trailer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.