Send Topic Print
Got Hurt... (Read 262 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Got Hurt...
10/18/13 at 22:15:36

I was 3 cars back at a light-car in front of line waiting to turn left. 18 wheeler (or maybe a triaxle) right behind me.  Light turned green, truck behind me suddenlydrove forward (3 cars in front hadn't moved yet) . Next thing I knew, I'm sideways facing the side of the road with ls650 under his bumper and over my left ankle. (And hes moving through the intersection pushing me along)!  When he shifted up, I kind of thought I'd had it! A guy in his yard saw and ran into the road (they tell me) got the truck stopped, backed off of me.  Apparently the truck driver couldn't see me over the hood and forgot I was there!  (I was stopped at the red when he pulled up behind and stopped) .  I think that guy in the yard saved my life!  As it is, I'm pretty ok, considering.  Got a "zombie " ankle they say needs some skin grafts, and various bumps bruises and muffler burns.  Not really sure how the bike faired... Only thing I saw was a smashed left foot peg, but I wasn't really looking. Smiley

Trying to learn from it:  Be aware an 18 wheeler cant see you if he's 3 feet behind!  Be reaady to escape!  If id gunhed it for the curb when he first bumped me I might have gotten out of there.    (Couldn't go forward because cars in front still waiting for left turn, couldn't go left because traffic in that lane.)

Be safe out there all yinz!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Got Hurt...
Reply #1 - 10/18/13 at 22:23:04

holy sh!t, glad you made it out alive.

dumb fock doesn't deserve to drive.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/18/13 at 23:52:05

Runwyrlph...
Temporarily,... known as Limpwyrlph... Huh...
...but,... awful glad yer' still here... Wink...

Speedy healing to you...
Try not to replay it in your mind too much...
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/19/13 at 04:25:08

Always stop aimed at a gap, not a bumper, thats ALWAYS,, & stay Back from that vehicle. My guts just crawl when my wife stops so close behind someone she couldnt spin the wheel & drive past, Besides, no reason to get up so close youre sucking exhaust fumes,
The truck driver screwed up stopping so close you disappeared, YOu screwed up allowing him to be that close. If you had stopped with room between you & the one in front, you coulda pulled up after the truck stopped. I NEED buffer room front & back, I ALWAYS stop either aimed to pass on the left or head for the ditch, Im Never pointed at the car in front of me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/19/13 at 05:44:24

Wow, thank God you are still alive and kicking...well, at least with the right foot.
Thank you for sharing your experience, this is a really good lesson for us all.  We MUST be vigilant at ALL times because we never know what may happen.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/19/13 at 06:26:33

Runwyrlph I'm so glad that for all intensive purposes you are ok, a FUBARed ankle is much better then the potential outcome from your accident.  I've seen a number of motorcycle accident videos where the same scenario played out where a truck forgot there was a bike in front of them after a long light, as JOG pointed out it's prudent to leave room in front of you and have an emergency route out. Stopped at a light I'm always aware of what's behind me, especially if there is a large vehicle directly behind me or any vehicle speeding up to the light I'm stopped at.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and glad that the outcome wasn't the type that left us all wondering what happened to you.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/19/13 at 06:55:48

You got lucky. And that driver is facing some serious fines and license points... By law, he had to stop far enough back to see the ground behind your rear tire... Many truckers won't do so, because of cars that jump in ahead of them if there is any gap, at all.

I happen to have a Class A commercial license... Come on over for harvest season, crack a couple cold ones, I've got some stories about big rigs and bikes that will put a knot in your "willy"... As you drive around, look at the person behind the wheel of the tractor trailer. Odds are, he's not American-Canadian-western European... be hyper vigilant around rigs these days, the guys who immigrated from Africa, Arab countries, India and Eastern Europe tend to drive like they are still "back home", especially the ones hauling shipping containers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 10/19/13 at 07:56:28

Glad to hear that you are pretty much ok after that. Have a speedy recovery. It could have been so much worse.

Always try to leave an out for yourself.  But, you don't really think that the guy behind you who stopped correctly is gonna forget about you and just take off.  That's something for all of us to remember...out of sight...out of mind

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 10/19/13 at 08:26:50

Runwyrlph

So ....  How much you sueing that crack-pot-Driver for ???

I sure hope its enough so that :

Guys around the truck stops say ... Did you hear about that idiot that ran the biker guy over and the Hundreds of Thousands of $$$$$$$ it cost the company ?  Wink

The company that driver worked for cans his but !  Angry

But mostley so the next one pulls up behind me has you on his mind !  Tongue

Glad your recovering ;  But do go talk to a Lawyer first thing when you get out of the hospital ... Doin't put it off !!!! and doin't say "I'm OK now! "   The defence lawyer will probley get your post from this site to use against you !  Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/19/13 at 08:50:48

One thing,.. if someone pulls up too close behind you at a light...
Stand up, and turn your body around... look them in the eye...
..(you don't have to get off the bike or be threatening,... but, just making them see that you aren't comfortable with what they did will keep you in their focus during the light cycle)...
... and hopefully, make them not do it again...

...(works especially well if you wear a smoked faceshield)...
I wear one for the intimidation factor... and also the shade... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/19/13 at 09:11:59

Yep, Rowboats right,, YOu gotta make them know youre there,,
& yes, you OTTA sue that clown,, & yes, he is Supposed to stop so he can see the ground behind you,, Its stupid to pull up on someone so theres only a foot or two between,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 10/21/13 at 04:49:35

WOW Glad your as OK as you are.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/21/13 at 05:03:46

Glad you made it through in one piece.....you are very lucky.

JOG gave good advice about leaving some escape room.

About 20 years ago I had a GMC Safari van and I was on I-71 headed north of Cincinnati with my wife in the passenger seat.  Traffic was moderate and moving along at the normal interstate speeds....when suddenly there was a complete stop in the traffic flow.  I came to a stop with plenty of room to spare....and I looked in my mirror and saw a semi behind me in my lane approaching fast and he did not look like he was slowing down.  I kept watching and as he kept getting closer without slowing down....I then saw smoke billowing out of his wheelwells as he slammed on the brakes.  I watched just a bit longer and when I felt he was not going to get stopped in time......I hit the gas and headed up the berm for about 5 car lengths.  My wife and all the drives looked over at me like I was crazy......but about then the truck had come to a noisey stop just a few feet behind the car that had been in front of me.  Then all the smoke drifted over them.....and they all understood what had happened.  I still remember that day and how that one bit of attention and action has saved my wife and I from being hit by a big truck.

Car, motorcyle, bicycle........leave some escape path and watch those mirrors when you come to a stop. (I had never thought about a truck starting back up after having come to a stop......that would be a tough scenario to react to in time).       

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 10/21/13 at 07:45:18

Angel on your shoulder for sure.  Heres to speedy recovery!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 10/21/13 at 17:23:30

Good to hear you are ok. Enough to make yo want to smack that driver upside the head for being such a dumba$$

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got Hurt...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.