Send Topic Print
First time this year (Read 150 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: First time this year
Reply #15 - 10/19/13 at 00:46:51

I went to Wal-mart and bought a thick lined pair of those nylon  snow or ski pants with a bib that covers the chest. Water proof and I can ride in almost freezing weather and my legs and chest stay nice and warm. The material is soft enough they will just slide over your work clothes and come off in a sec. I think they cost about $25 and up for thicker lining, but worth it.  With a good coat you should stay nice and warm.  I bought a bunch of those dollar store hand warmers and slide one inside of my full face helmet so the back of my neck stays warm. I guess you could tape one to the top to keep the head warm.     If it's real cold like in the high 30's, low 40's I stick a small rubber hot water bottle down the bib under my coat. Then I am almost too warm. Plus, you can always stop and make your self some hot chocolate!   Smiley

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 10/19/13 at 00:58:39

In Oregon the high temps are still in the 60 and low 70's with sunny days. But the evenings and mornings are most times right above freezing. This morning around 6AM it was maybe 40, and I saw this guy on a motorcycle with huge ape hangers riding with a tank top on the freeway. I had all of the windows in my car up and the heater on. I figured he was either really high on crack or a zombie.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 10/19/13 at 06:46:27

My low temp cut off point is 10F on sunny days, 30F if it is damp out.

You need to go get some polypropylene liner socks, long john pants and a long john shirt. Then swing by Cycle Gear and pick up a proper motorcycling balaclava design to work with full face helmets, and some boot rain covers. Military surplus shop should have German Army motorcycle dispatch rider winter mittens.

I like riding in the cold, the bike runs better. You just have to check the tire pressure more frequently. And at stoplights, grab the cylinder, the leather won't burn and transfers just enough heat to keep your fingers warm.

Other side of the scale, if it is in the mid 80s or higher and I don't have a liquid cooled primary bike, I don't ride. It gets hot enough here that Harleys, V-Stars, Savages and related seize up.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 10/19/13 at 09:22:24

One other thing about riding in harsh conditions,, cagers really dont Expect Bikes on really ugly days,, Theyre pretty oblivious to us on a clear summer day, but at least they expect us on the road. You wanna see someone fail to see something? Let something they mite miss on a good day swing by,,when they dont even expect to see one,, Pay attention to them,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/19/13 at 12:55:31

Went on a modest trip last week at 44F with the sun out.  I wore some leather Army gloves with wool liners and doubled up on socks.  A windshield and helmet made it all tolerable but I started getting cold after about 30 minutes.  On the return trip it was about 52F and that was much better.  I think my new cut off point will be about 50 degrees if I will be doing highway speeds.  Around town 40F is OK.

When I was a kid I sometimes rode while it was snowing but a bike was the only transportation I had so there wasn't much choice.  When you are young the blood pumps around the body a little better.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #20 - 10/20/13 at 16:33:53

I have a balaclava, which with a full windshield makes anything 40F and above tolerable for at least 50 minutes.  If there is a possibility of ice (like between fallen leaves or whatever, I'll go by car; skids are more likely to not hurt me. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:14:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › First time this year

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.