Shock settings (Read 108 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Shock settings
10/17/13 at 01:06:39

Swedish Biker, if you aren't too busy I would like to know how you feel with your stock shocks at position three? Mine are still on the factory setting of position 2. Anyone else is welcome to give their opinions or results.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Shock settings
Reply #1 - 10/17/13 at 05:10:51

jcstokes wrote on 10/17/13 at 01:06:39:
Swedish Biker, if you aren't too busy I would like to know how you feel with your stock shocks at position three? Mine are still on the factory setting of position 2. Anyone else is welcome to give their opinions or results.

When I bought my bike the preload was set on two. It felt a little soft - I weigh about 160 or so - so I set them at three.  I honestly don't feel much difference.

I think the spring preload only controls the sag - how much the spring compresses when you sit on the bike vs. when there is no weight on it.
IMO you want it set so that the shock is about in the middle of its range of travel most of the time. On these bikes playing with the preload is not going to accomplish much as far as improving the ride quality. You need better shocks for that. The stock shocks are just not very good.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 10/17/13 at 13:36:41

I weigh about 180 and am running mine at their stiffest setting.  It made the ride a tiny little bit firmer feeling but it really helped with bottoming out over bumps. Mine is an 87 the springs may have compressed some in all that time.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/17/13 at 23:01:45

Thank you gentlemen, I will probably bring them up slowly as I ride, will definitely move to 3 and will keep Steveh's message in mind

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/18/13 at 06:22:49

At 235 pounds, I had the stock shocks set on 5 from 1998 until Lisa and I traded shocks between her Intruder and my Savage a few years ago. No idea what the Intruder shocks are set on, haven't looked.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 10/18/13 at 19:05:28

Like Steve,I moved mine to the stiffest setting a while back,when I put on the new tires. I wanted to make sure the fender didn't rub the tire(Kenda Kruz 140/90/15). What I found is that the stiffer setting,coupled with the Kenda tire brought out the animal in the bike. Now I'm carving the curves on our Kentucky backroads like crazy. If the pegs didn't scrape first,I would not have any "chicken strips" at all on the tires! The scoot just hangs in there......and no wobbles or loosey-goosey feeling anymore!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/18/13 at 20:06:47

I got an oversized tyre on mine and the guard rub was bad,decided to get new shocks as mine were rusted and made the bike look crap.Went to a Suzuki dealer and they wanted $900,went to a small bike shop,new set for $169,bought the rear of the bike up heaps so had a mare of a time putting them on,but holy smeg,the ride now is sooooo mint I don't really wanna get off it  Wink
Can sort of tell from the pic as to how high it's come up

IMG107_001.jpg

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 10/19/13 at 07:35:52

Sounds like someone knows about Rimmer and Lister here besides me.  Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 10/19/13 at 17:54:08

I too wanna lay ship wrecked and comatosed  Tongue

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print