Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Squirrely? A Question to all RYCA OWNERS (Read 301 times)
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Squirrely? A Question to all RYCA OWNERS
10/16/13 at 11:15:25

Hey gang

There is no doubt this RYCA kit drastically changes everything about our lil thumper..I've been more than pleased with the look and fun factor. But, there is one thing.

I'm curious.. Are your bikes a little squirrerly since the conversion? I'm not sure if it's my imagination but it seems like ever since I threw the kit on (plus the 18in rear tire and clip ons) it feels like the front is just not as smooth and steady?? I have a 19in Kenda tire on front and 18in Kenda on the rear. Tires have less than 300 miles on them. No fork brace. Would a brace tighten things up??

2006 Ryca Suzuki Savage (2300 miles)
Army green with black spoke wheels!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Squirrely? A Question to all RYCA OWNERS
Reply #1 - 10/16/13 at 11:27:06

Raising the rear and lowering the front reduces rake,.. which will make steering quicker and the bike more squirrely ...
.. also the lower clip-ons will contribute...
Tires are narrower, too...

I don't think a brace would help that.. (it's not fork flex)...
... a steering stabilizer would...

But,.. if you just keep riding it a while, you'll probably adjust, and a stock Savage will feel weird...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #2 - 10/16/13 at 11:43:41

I knew changing the geometry would affect steering(for the better) but I didn't know how squirrely the bike would become. Serowbot, any way we can counter this?? Aside from steering stabilizer(which is the same as steering dampener)?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/16/13 at 17:12:06

Well the bike is no longer a cruiser, they are smooth and track nice and straight but don't corner fast quite so well. Now that it's a café racer it won't track as well straight, but is lots more fun in the curves!  Yea a steering dampener will help with the straight lines, but research them, you'll probably want an adjustable one that you can tweak.

What type of tires are you sporting?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #4 - 10/17/13 at 07:03:36

ToesNose, I was foolishly thinking that after the Ryca conversion the bike would retain straight line smoothness AND gain quicker cornering.. In a perfect world...

I'm running Kenda tires ($100 price range), 19inch in the front and 18 in the back. Tires aren't the best, but far from the worst and they're brand new.

IP Logged
SteveIsGr8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jamestown, NC
Reply #5 - 10/17/13 at 07:42:54

Get shorter rear shocks. You will lose some travel and a bit of ground clearance. Just try your stock shocks to get an idea of how much it will change.

IP Logged
Fizzer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/18/13 at 08:56:33

I've had a bike get really out of shape before because I used to heavy a fork oil (20w) - that was an fzr400

If you could describe the symptoms a bit better that would help diagnose.

For instance, the above problem was caused by heavy oil + cornering hard on a bumpy road. the front wheel wouldn't keep up with the contours of the road and lost traction, gave a small tank slapper.

Overinflated front tyres will seem a little 'wandery' over white lines and the like. what pressures are you running? i take it you haven't worn the tyres out yet (I had a squared off rear tyre on a gs550L which made it weave alarmingly over 70MPH)

This might also be just how things are compared to a savage, it will be a lot more 'pointy' because of the geometry change. have you got experience of this kind of bike to reference it to?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/20/13 at 10:15:02

My bike has the RYCA geometry....and a bit more.  I replaced the fork triple trees and reduced the trail by another inch.  My bike is stable and doesn't seem to have any handling quirks, and I have ridden all summer without having any handling issues.  The only "squirelly" thing about the handling is that if you are going down the highway and you intentionally wiggle the handlebars very quickly....the handlebars/forks feel like they could go into a "speed wobble" very easily....but as soon as you stop intentionally wobbling the front end it settles down.  The bike is stable in corners, on the straight and over bumps.

I did ride a Kawasaki Ninja 300 a while back and I noticed that the steering on that bike was much lighter than on my bike - my Cafe' conversion takes more effort to turn the bars quickly into corners and the steering feels much heavier on mine.

I am interested to hear what your bike does that make is feel "squirelly" to you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #8 - 10/20/13 at 17:18:20

Hey, Dave.  You say you reduced trail with a different triple? If the offset of the new triple is less than that of the stock one, that would move the axle centerline back thereby INCREASING trail.

Or did you get a triple with a greater offset than factory?

I'm curious because I too would like to replace the triple for my roadster conversion.

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #9 - 10/20/13 at 17:20:42

Are you running the front fender? If not I would get a brace. I cut the stock fender down a little. But it's still a fairly good brace when it's in place. My Ryca conv. goes down the road and handles great even with the standard grade Kendra tires. I also did the Progressive spring upgrade. Good luck.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/21/13 at 03:26:11

Face wrote on 10/20/13 at 17:18:20:
Hey, Dave.  You say you reduced trail with a different triple? If the offset of the new triple is less than that of the stock one, that would move the axle centerline back thereby INCREASING trail.

Oops!  Your right......I have increased the trail!  Maybe that explains why mine handles fine - but does steer a bit stiff.

I used 1980 RM400 triple trees.....it was a lot of work.  The fork legs are the right diameter, but are a bit narrower and the stem needs to be modified as it was originally ball bearings and the Savage is tapered roller bearings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #11 - 10/21/13 at 08:48:26

Hey Dave,

My tires are 30psi. I can't really describe the "squirrely" feel any further. I don't get anything near a tank slapper in turns, but it just feels..umm..not steady. Every other bike I've ridden (two harleys, hyosung gv250, several streetbikes, triumph speed triple s) have all been more stable. No hands riding was easy, for example.

actually turns isn't the problem, I just dont know why it feels a bit wobbly while straight riding. I'm not running a front fender, no brace either.

Dave, according to your fork modification, your bike should be noticeably more wobbly?? Now, I'm even more confused. :- Huh

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #12 - 10/21/13 at 17:41:12

MrPazloe,
Look a couple posts up, I believe we've determined that Dave's triple conversion has actually made his bike more stable at the expense of turning ease.

Here's what needs to be understood. This bike was never designed to sit like a Ryca. It was designed as a cruiser. The Ryca kit forces it into a sportier stance, but the rake angle is still WAY off from a sportbike or even a standard like the bikes you've ridden. Those bikes were designed with proper geometry in mind to get the trail and handling where they need to be for comfort and safety. While the Ryca does reduce trail and wheelbase from that of a stock Savage, it can't make up for the steer tube angle. So even though it has technical numbers (trail) that make it seem like it would perform more like a sportbike, in practice that just isn't the case.

Put your front fender back on and see if that helps. Then just be patient and re-learn how to ride. Customizing is all about compromise. Some things are just going to be the way they'll be.

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 10/21/13 at 17:56:55

I had the same squirreliness.  I am using the Progressive springs upgrade and the RYCA rear shocks with ATF as fork oil.  It would get almost scary in a 70mph leany-over turn.  Not a tank slapper, but a genuinely felt oscillation until I straitened it out.  I have Avon Speedmaster tires.

Casey (or was it Ryan) said a fork brace would fix it.  It made it less of an issue, but it still has some instability in relatively high-speed sweepers.

I installed a T-Kat brace.  I also have a CB550 front fender.

« Last Edit: 10/22/13 at 18:49:11 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #14 - 10/22/13 at 05:53:35

Face and Gyrobob, Thanks for the great input. I will look up Dave's post on his triple conversion. Face, what you said makes perfect sense. And you're not the only Savage Veteran dropping knowledge on bike geometry. I can liken this situation to that of Mariano Rivera..I know he's retired, but, I still keep believing he will jog out of that outfield bullpen this coming spring :'(

I've thrown the fender back on and it makes no difference. I've looked into getting a T-kat brace. All reviews on them are split 50-50 on whether or not they work. You really think it makes the steering more stable??

If it all just comes down to geometry, I guess I can learn to live with her being a bit shifty

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squirrely? A Question to all RYCA OWNERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.