justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Italy selling landmarks
10/14/13 at 08:50:36

http://rt.com/news/italy-treasures-sell-austerity-140/

Wanna castle? Howzabout an island?
The world is crawling into an economic hole,, &, forgive me for saying so, it is by design,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Italy selling landmarks
Reply #1 - 10/14/13 at 09:29:30

As Always, reality is different from appearance, especially when Old World issues are analyzed by New World journalists.

When the Republic replaced the Monarchy in 1946, the first thing that happened was all aristocrats were stripped of their titles ...
... which is stupid, as those dynasties created Italy and Europe as we know them today.

The second thing that happened was the Crown was stripped of all its private property.

The result was that whereas once you had a King, Princes and Dukes looking after their own lands and palaces (they lived in them) now it was up to a handful of (Republican) Government-appointed dignitaries to administer them.

Many fell in disrepair simply because... Mussolini lived in one (but it wasn't his, he just lived in it) a Cardinal or a Prince lived in another...
...Others were converted into museums (closed to the public) or private Gentlemen's Clubs for Government Officials.

Many were simply closed, period. Castles and the like, mostly.

Now they decide they want to sell... but it's only hearsay, because they are asking waaay too much money.

Geez... if they were to sell at their real price, I myself would be bidding for my great-grandfather's own!

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 10/14/13 at 10:17:59

Pop a Pic of it, man,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 10/15/13 at 06:54:11

I think this has been done before .. many times in many countries. however, it usually doesn't work like one might think. The new "owner" becomes obligated to maintain the property, and prevent deterioration. They cant, remove structures or reduce the historical value in any way. So no putting in heat and air in that hulking castle.. Live in it all you want, but don't seal up the cracks or replace the shingles except with period, hand crafted reproductions.

Even here in Mississippi, it can get crazy even when you DO own that antebellum home you paid for. Want to cut down that 100 foot tall magnolia that threatening to topple over...nope. Want a carport or garage... heck no. Want to put in a concrete drive? negative...

I suspect any buyers... unless they can secure agreements that allow them to make developments, will end up being mostly conservation groups, that will pull up money to keep up the place and then throw a party there every so often to raise funds to keep the place up.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 10/15/13 at 09:37:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/14/13 at 10:17:59:
Pop a Pic of it, man,,

Castello di <Pietrapelosa> (Hairy Rock, you'd call it  Wink)
It's in Istria and dates back to the 10th Century.
It was with the family since 1441, in a "Feudo" (a feudal property) which included all 12 villages around it - and the responsibility to raise a Regiment of Infantry if required.
Unfortunately Istria was "donated as compensation" to Yugoslavia  Angry in 1946.

They played target practice on it (But then, so did both French and Turks on the face of the Sphinx in Egypt... so who am I to complain ?)

You couldn't possibly live in it, there's not a single roof timber left, and most walls are crumbling down.

BUT... I could still erect a stall and sell drinks and guide them through and organize ghost hunts too!  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/15/13 at 10:40:28

We have no real concept of history here..We are taught some of the details of Europes history, but, by & large, we have no feel for it, I know I dont have the kind of connection with the past Id like, But, staying HERE NOW is hard enough,,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 10/15/13 at 13:10:10

OK that cool as heck.  Not what I normally think of as "Italy"... wiki says Croatia, but then looks like that area has been owned by so many over the centuries.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 10/16/13 at 01:51:04

Pine wrote on 10/15/13 at 13:10:10:
OK that cool as heck.  Not what I normally think of as "Italy"... wiki says Croatia, but then looks like that area has been owned by so many over the centuries.

Wikipedia is an online encyclopaedia written by amateurs, for amateurs. I wouldn't study medicine on wiki pages...  Lips Sealed

Istria became croatian only in 1946.
In the year 1000 it was under the Duke of Carinthia (which today is Austria, but then it was Carinthia, period)
In the year 1420 it was conquered by Venice, and the Lord Gravisi (my ancestor) was made Feudal Lord over the Township of "Pinguente" (=opulent) and its "12 village" with flourmill and bridge".
12 adjacent villages, ALL with stone bridges over the brooks and 12 flourmills? Cross the brook with your laden cart without spilling and getting your feet wet ? In the Middle Ages ?
Do you understand why the Township was called "Opulent"?

Here's what Italy looked like in 1441; Republic of Venice in light red. Hope you are convinced.

Pinguente remained under the Gravisi literally until Napoleon, then my family (mother's side) lost it all when Napoleon came to be, he attacked Venice from inland, from the west...
...Venice being then THE naval superpower in the Mediterranean, excellent marines but insufficient land forces to counter Napoleons Armies.

The rest is modern history.

By comparison, here's what America looked like in those days

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/16/13 at 02:38:10

& Napoleon sold Louisiana so he could finance his army. &, he also minimized his exposure to attack when he sold a huge territory that he couldnt patrol/defend w/o spending a fortune on troops.

Today, we just print $$ up & saddle the people w/ debt. Another reason the ponzi scheme of Keynes was adopted by politicians.. Of COURSE they declared it reasonable,,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 10/16/13 at 06:49:58

Oh I was not doubting you!, In fact Gravis was mentioned, and I wondered if that was the connection. I guess I just always think of Italy being "in the boot" sorta speak. Wiki may not be perfect, but I find it usually has a good general presentation of accepted knowledge. It sure looks like an area I would like to visit. (I prefer the back woods and old villages to big churches). I bet that would be a killer place to ride the savage (given the roads were ok) .

BTW there was a site supporting a book about the Kostle saying how to get there and that there was a restaurant not far.  ROAD TRIP!

Also after reading the bit I did about area, they had a rather large wall of text about ethnicity, which reminded me about our talk on that. Talk about a really confusing mix in that area! It made me wonder if the "culture" divisions were internal or external? Do some people want to say " I am Italian" or " I am Croat" versus  ( as largely here) external government force want to impose such labels.  For some reason, I bet the eating there is good. Instead of a café racer.. I would want a village cruiser .. and go from village to village going across the stone bridges and getting a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine, and maybe some cheese at each stop.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 10/16/13 at 07:54:52

"I would want a village cruiser .. and go from village to village going across the stone bridges and getting a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine, and maybe some cheese at each stop. "

Pine, stop it, you're making me hungry !  Grin

Your best bike would be a 500-750cc twin, 40-50hp are fine but you want a torquey engine.

Harley 883, Yammy XS650, Kawy W750, Guzzi V7, that sort of thing.
Literally "3rd gear country", trust me, you can tour all of Istria in 3rd gear up and down those mountain roads!

As for the roads, smooth as a pool table... really!

"I am Italian" vs. "I am Croat"... even today, it's like going back in time to 1775 and asking people "Are you English?" Or Welsh, Scottish, German, Dutch... they all had very strong identity.

Even today... don't Deputy Sheriffs flag down a car "with out of State plates" just for a looksee? Check'em up ?  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 10/20/13 at 10:59:06

Its illegal for a Deputy Sherrif to stop a car just for out of state plates but that doesnt mean they dont do it. Our public servants are quickly turning into public terrorist, you can tell by a lot of video's that have been posted here lately. You've heard me say my wife was a Deputy Sheriff for 20 years. She just recently quit because she had to attend all these classes and traing to fight the citizens of the US. She had to go through Fema training, more Swat training etc. The rookies they hire just want to beat and shoot someone. Twent to thirty years ago our law enforcement were actually wanting to help the public. There's no telling how many tires my wife has changed for people that didnt have a clue about how to do it. She has taken intoxicated people home and taken away their car keys, told them to see her when they sobered up, things like that etc. You'll never see that again. Back on the subject. Here in NC if you buy a house over 100 years old you get a large tax break but like was said in a previous post you are watched like a hawk if you make repairs. Its no coincidence most of them have stonework and are painted white.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 10/20/13 at 13:41:10

Power never stays put, as evidenced by the old kingdoms and empires gone or walking wounded.  The US will get there someday, sooner if we elect another war lover.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/20/13 at 15:21:26

ONCE AGAIN

It doesnt matter WHO we elect, the power that drives the policy decisions are Not Elected.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #14 - 10/20/13 at 19:19:32

Trippah wrote on 10/20/13 at 13:41:10:
Power never stays put, as evidenced by the old kingdoms and empires gone or walking wounded.  The US will get there someday, sooner if we elect another war lover.
We have a war lover for president. He's just waging war on his fellow countrymen. Our leadership has taken this country to an all time low.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 22:25:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Italy selling landmarks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.