Wiring my tail light (Read 87 times)
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Wiring my tail light
10/14/13 at 08:34:10

So my buddy that I got my Savage from got a kit from BCB, this included a new rear fender and a new tail light (but no blinkers). Well he had the old rear fender but when he took it off he just dumped it without taking the old wires out of it (the female end of the connector), so he could wire up the new tail light to the old connection (the male end). Now the video that BCB sent is great, it shows you how to wire everything up... except you need the old wire connectors to finish it.

My question is: do I need the female end to wire it up, or can I just snip the connector off (the male end, yikes!) and hard wire the light together? Now I know I wont be able to take the connection apart if I do it this way, but why would I want to take it apart anyways unless I got a new wiring harness? It should still be the same wires that get connected together, so I dont see it being too hard of a job. But I wanted to ask about it here first.

Also, my blinkers dont work at all, I found the right wires that were in the BCB video (Im pretty positive) but they did not make my test light turn on. Could this be the hand control thats not working or the electrical system? The horn works, if thats any help.

Has anybody else gotten the BCB kit and know what I mean? Thanks everybody!!

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Wiring my tail light
Reply #1 - 10/14/13 at 09:03:11

Quote:
can I just snip the connector off (the male end, yikes!) and hard wire the light together? Now I know I wont be able to take the connection apart...

You can buy individual male and female connectors that you can crimp onto each wire and plug together. That way if you ever did need to take things apart - maybe to change the paint color some day - you won't have to cut the wires.

Most auto parts stores should have them, maybe the big box home stores, for sure Radio Shack. Bring a piece of the wire with you. The connectors come in different sizes to fit different gauge wire.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/14/13 at 09:56:42

Your buddy is inexperienced. Only took me a few good "I threw WHAT away?" moments till I learned NEVER throw anyting away till a project is finished.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/15/13 at 05:18:49

Have you checked the fuses? I'm newer to the savage, but in most cases if any of the lights don't work, I always check fuses first.

Are the brake light or turn signals LED? Might have to have an electronic flasher or resistor added to make them work.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 10/15/13 at 08:58:30

See I went to all the big box home stores and they didnt have the right connectors. I didnt think about radio shack though, thats a great idea. I thought about cutting the wires and wiring them without the connector because I wasnt planning on changing anything (like the paint) until I get a new wiring harness.

The lights arent LED, its an '88 so I dont know if they put LED lights on them back then. They dont look like LED, but Ill check the fuses to see if they are ok anyway. My buddy told me that the blinkers werent working when he got it, so I dont know if the previous owner did something to them or if something is wrong with the electrical itself.

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:27:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring my tail light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.