Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Raptor Petcock (Read 376 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raptor Petcock
10/13/13 at 00:15:45

After having one too many scares from my bike dying while being on the freeway, I did some research and determined that I should change my stock petcock for the Raptor petcock.  I didn't really know what the advantages were, and honestly I still don't.  I know that it took away the vacuum hose which I had to plug up on my stock carb, so now it is a straight gravity flow of fuel.  Is that simply the only thing that make this petcock so helpful?  Having an "off" position for my petcock is very nice I must admit, but once again, what are all the benefits?

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Re: Raptor Petcock
Reply #1 - 10/13/13 at 01:40:30

The Suzuki petcock is good for 20 years riding. But if you had to repair, put on the Raptor.
Changing a working item with a a working item makes no change.

14365412   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/13/13 at 07:06:35

Do you plan to do any changes to the bike that involve the stock air filter?   If so, you need to do a Raptor petcock because any changes to that air filter / air box will affect your stock vacuum levels and cause the vac petcock to malfunction.

In America, vac petcocks have failed as early as 5 years, with one failing inside 3 months on a new bike (but that was exceptional, I think).

The only notable "always there" advantage to the Raptor is that it provides a FULL flow of gasoline at all throttle conditions.   It has the advantage of having a reserve function over just putting your petcock in prime and blocking off the tubes.

If you are going after engine mods that increase HP then you need to Raptor before you start (attempting tuning on a carb with a vac petcock on the bike will drive you to drink it is so erratic and changeable)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #3 - 10/13/13 at 09:05:59

Yes, but you can say its the petcocks fault if you change your engine.

14365412   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/13/13 at 09:32:10

The Raptor also has a smoother mechanism, making turning it easier...
... and, It's smaller size makes tank removal much, much easier...

Much, much... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #5 - 10/13/13 at 10:06:02

Grin when I so old I can't turn a petcock its time to quit riding.
Yes, removing the tank is something you do every day  Grin but I do agree.

14365412   IP Logged
sleezyrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/13/13 at 10:29:50

With the vacuum you run the risk of damaging the hose, not that its a hard fix but the raptor petcock just has less going on, therefore less chance somethings gonna go wrong. I'd make rhe swtrch just for the convenient tank removal.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/13/13 at 12:15:17

Swedishbiker, you mention changing out the engine, so you opened the door for this little factiod nugget.

I used to razz Routy about the vac petcock being a potential cause for early onset oil consumption.   He loved to razz me back.

He got to razz me back because there was no evidence at that time that leaning out the engine repeatedly at speed when the vac petcock was failing did anything bad to the engine itself.

So I started keeping up with it -- we are up to 3 incidents where it the vac petcock has started to go bad and then the newbie got some power loss.   Two of them wound up tearing the engine down and found ring zone scuffing damage (collapsed ring grooves & seized rings) were present.

Guess what they call a milder form of this sort of piston / ring groove damage?

Wink

Yep, early onset oil consumption ....  

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Now we are asking the newbies who come on the list with questions about sudden onset heavy oil consumption if they are running the stock vac petcock.

So far all of them are.

Yes, I know -- not proof.   Chicken or egg came first .... it is debatable from either side.   Still, vac petcock leads to lean out stalling which has secondary effects on various things like all lean running conditions do.

But one thing we do know FACTUALLY, the folks who have taken off the vac petcock have NOT had to suffer through any of the half dozen petcock related heartaches we used to have to coax them through.

=======

Plus there is that little trick about the failing vacsucker petcock that can result in a real gasoline dripping fire hazard.

Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #8 - 10/13/13 at 12:51:42

A normal or "Old school"  fuel petcock has three positions: on, off and reserve and uses gravity for the flow of fuel into the carb.

The stock Suzuki Savage vacuum petcock has no "OFF" position.

The engine vacuum is used open a rubber diaphragm in the petcock allowing fuel to flow into the carb ..... a vacuum operated on/off valve with the default position being  "Off" for safety.

This is the EPA's way of protecting us from ourselves again...if the engine stops running for whatever reason fuel supply to the carb is cut off.

This is still a gravity fuel flow system however, and engine vacuum is not used to "Pull" fuel from the tank.

The problems arise with these types of petcocks when the rubber diaphragm leaks due to deterioration from the  corrosive alcohol in the fuel , age or physical damage.

A leaking diaphragm may allow excess fuel into the carb or shut off the fuel supply altogether.

Vacuum petcock problems can be hard starting, engine stops running entirely or runs rough running to name just a few.

Switching to the "Old school" manual petcock eliminates all this crap.

If it leaks you can see it...replace it's seal and gasket and it is as good as new again.. If it is plugged by crap, you get no fuel...take it apart and clean it....simple and easy. NO worries mate!

I have tried the 2005 Yamaha "Raptor" petcock with the correct size 5/16" fuel outlet and they work just great.

I have also tried a cheap Chinese eBay knock-off Raptor petcock with the smaller 1/4" fuel outlet and it works just fine as well.

There are differences in quality and price  however.

Genuine Raptor petcock.....cast aluminum body with brass fuel tubes....cost - $24.95 and up.

Chinese knock-off.....cast aluminum body with plastic fuel tubes....cost $9.95 and up.

I have over 2000 miles on my Chinese knock-off raptor with NO problems at all.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/13/13 at 15:21:44

I got the actual Raptor petcock, not a Chinese knock off, cost me about $21.  I must admit turning it is much easier, though like a previous comment said, if you can't turn the petcock even on the stock one, you probably shouldn't be riding, lol.  Anyway's, as I was first asked, yet I do intend to do performance upgrades.  I am going to go with a cone filter, possibly switch to a Mikuni VM36 or 38 style carb with a UFO and Dial-A-Jet, and then once I really have some disposable income, perhaps do a big bore and performance cams.  Maybe even a professional porting...  I saw I think it was on e-bay, or maybe just this forum, someone takes the engine head and smoothes everything out very nicely making it possibly to get an exhaust system with an OD of between 1.5" to 1.6" (or 1.65", I forget).

What order would you all go for your performances upgrades to the engine?  I've also heard that doing a chain conversion is definately something to consider right away for noticeable performance difference, and though this isn't really a performance issue, I definately want that cam chain tensioner that Verslagen (is that how it's spelt...?) provides as that would give me great peace of mind knowing I had that installed.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #10 - 10/13/13 at 16:52:06

I don't argue, if it fails it fails. But so long it's ok it's ok.
Was lucky to night, shot a 230lb wildboar at less then 20 yards with my Rolling Block made 1872, old stuff is still good  Wink

14365412   IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/13/13 at 18:31:43

swedishbiker wrote on 10/13/13 at 16:52:06:
I don't argue, if it fails it fails. But so long it's ok it's ok.
Was lucky to night, shot a 230lb wildboar at less then 20 yards with my Rolling Block made 1872, old stuff is still good  Wink

Rub it in man.  I've been trying to go hunting but don't have time for it, plus someone stole all of my guns.

I'm going to ride whether I have to push this bike or not!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/13/13 at 19:26:38

swedishbiker wrote on 10/13/13 at 10:06:02:
Grin when I so old I can't turn a petcock its time to quit riding.
Yes, removing the tank is something you do every day  Grin but I do agree.

It isn't that a stock pet can't be turned,... but, with age they do become resistant to turning...
Old things that become hard to turn, are prone to breaking...

A Raptor is a smoother operating system... Things that work smoothly last a long time...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Suzuki86prince
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

victoria
Reply #13 - 10/21/22 at 14:46:05

Hi everyone, I see this is an old post, but I have a quick question.
I recently bought a raptor Petcock from Amazon. And I feel that it may be a cheap knock off as the hose nipple is much smaller then the one of the oem Petcock. It looks like it it a 3/16 and now 1/4 I know this will cause problem at higher speeds.
Was this a cheap knock off or am I just not thinking right ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/21/22 at 15:09:50

swedishbiker wrote on 10/13/13 at 09:05:59:
Yes, but you can say its the petcocks fault if you change your engine.

Assigning blame doesn't Solve any problems. Knowing that modifications will affect vacuum, which the stock petcock relies on is not Blaming the petcock. It's just being aware that the stock petcock is not going to play nicely after modifications are made.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:24:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.