Send Topic Print
Raptor Petcock (Read 376 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Raptor Petcock
Reply #15 - 10/21/22 at 15:15:28

If you're in traffic and it suddenly becomes Time to switch to reserve, I want the valve to cooperate. It's Not a good time to have to prove I still Can.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #16 - 10/21/22 at 15:29:26

swedishbiker wrote on 10/13/13 at 16:52:06:
Was lucky to night, shot a 230lb wildboar at less then 20 yards with my Rolling Block made 1872, old stuff is still good  Wink

BACON!!!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #17 - 10/21/22 at 15:32:09

Suzuki86prince wrote on 10/21/22 at 14:46:05:
Hi everyone, I see this is an old post, but I have a quick question.
I recently bought a raptor Petcock from Amazon. And I feel that it may be a cheap knock off as the hose nipple is much smaller then the one of the oem Petcock. It looks like it it a 3/16 and now 1/4 I know this will cause problem at higher speeds.
Was this a cheap knock off or am I just not thinking right ?

Yes, you got a cheap knock off.  The genuine Yamaha part isn't much more money, but it's a lot better quality part.   Any the fuel line fits like it is supposed to.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 10/23/22 at 13:09:12

With the stock CV carb, the petcock valve and fuel line need 8mm (ok, 5/16” is ok since more readily available and more common in US).  Stock is 8mm is a smidge bigger than 5/16” though.  While a 1/4” valve and hose may seem close, it’s about 1/3 smaller in volume/diameter than 8mm.  Remember Pi r2 math and the stock carbs are designed to suck at this proportion.  This is needed for the vacuum operated aspect of the carb.  Now, if you are just using gravity fed operation of the carb, the 1/4” stuff is fine.  The bike will never be able to swallow more gas than the 1/4” line/valve can provide even up to high rpms.  Similarly, a gravity fed carb, like the cheap knock-off PWK40 I’m experimenting with on my project bike, does just fine with 1/4” valve and fuel line.  I’m using a $7.99 e.Bay Chinese petcock valve on it.  If it craps out in a year or two, fine.  It has decent filters built in (main and reserve), so for $7.99 for a valve with good fuel filters - deal!  Free shipping too!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:21:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.