Send Topic Print
Rear Shock Adjustment (Read 161 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Shock Adjustment
10/12/13 at 23:56:41

Hey all,
I've owned my 07 Savage for about a year now and I've been wanting to adjust my rear shocks for awhile now, but my bike didn't come with the adjustment tool and every threat I've read on here about adjusting them has yet to be of any help.  Could someone please help me finally figure this out?  Detailed instructions and pics would be most helpful!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Rear Shock Adjustment
Reply #1 - 10/13/13 at 00:11:39

Picture of procedure attached

001_026.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/13/13 at 00:23:57

Like I said, I've read the manual and gone through the forums to no avail.  My rear shocks just don't want to be adjusted...  The hole where you're supposed to go through and make these adjustments simply has metal from the inside facing it.  There seem to be no way I can get anything in there to rotate the inner part that the adjusting latches are on.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/13/13 at 00:35:41

Hmm, maybe the outer shell has been misaligned with the inner one. The only thing I can suggest is to stick a suitable screw driver in the outer shell and try to move it until it lines up with the inner hole. Aternatively you may have to remove the shock and do this.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/13/13 at 00:39:54

That's what i've been thinking.  I don't have a proper lift so what I've done before like when lowering my front shocks is I have a ratchet system I hook up to the patio above me.  Could I imply just remove the seat and lift the back up (after loosening the bolts of course) and then remove the shocks without worry of them springing hard on me?

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #5 - 10/13/13 at 01:36:23

Removing the shocks is one minute job. Just two nuts. The rubber can be dry so soak with soap. There is no load on them, you can lift the bike with one hand and remove the shock. A 6mm rod is enough for adjusting with the shock in a wise. Lubricate with something, like wd 40.

14365412   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/13/13 at 02:17:36

Hang on, we don't know what setting the shocks have been adjusted to. I had to remove one of mine this morning. I was lucky enough to back off the shock to its minimum setting, which you can't do. I can only suggest this. Get a small floor jack. Put it under the bike on the left side, you should see a slotted plate under the bike. Put the jack under this plate and gently lift the bike until the rear tyre is clear of the ground. Have the side stand down and the front wheel turned left while doing this. Hopefully this will take the weight off the shock . If the shock is at the standard setting, load two you should be able to remove it no problem. The shock securing nuts should be finger tight before you jack the bike up.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #7 - 10/13/13 at 03:12:52

I did adjust my this morning, they were at pos. 5. No problem to remove them. Did put put them on bike again at pos. 3.

14365412   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 10/14/13 at 10:26:32

Swedish Biker, how does it ride with the shocks at position 3, mine are at the standard position 2?

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #9 - 10/14/13 at 12:29:02

Same as before. Notice just difference in seat at bumps.
I did put on a Sporster seat and that is stiffer then the Savage seat was. Thats why I adjust.

14365412   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 10/14/13 at 16:32:27

I run mine on position 5 (the stiffest one).  I found that anything else I have problems with it bottoming out.

I only weigh 180 lbs. so, it might be that my 27 year old springs are a bit weak.  The shocks still work fine.  Just bottoms out when you hit a good bump.  I like it better a little stiffer though.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 10/15/13 at 01:14:41

Thanks Swedish Biker and Steve H, I'll think about stiffening mine up gradually, my shocks that is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Shock Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.