Rear shock removal (Read 132 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Rear shock removal
10/11/13 at 17:45:38

I might have to remove the left rear shock to fix my belt guard, do I need any special tools ie some sort of spring compressor? I need to put in a couple of larger washers to grip the belt guard as it's broken.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Re: Rear shock removal
Reply #1 - 10/11/13 at 18:19:55

No they come off pretty easy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/11/13 at 18:37:28

Just take a bit of the weight off the rear with a scissor jack under the frame...

If you don't got no jack... jes' pull the bike, (standing on the left side, pull on the seat and right handlebar), until the bike lifts onto the front wheel and the sidestand,.. (the rear wheel will come up pretty easy)( let it rest on your thigh)... then slip a stool or a crate under the frame from the right side... (better have the stool close by)...
Presto!.. rear wheel is off the ground... (I've even changed tires this way)...
Should probably run video on this...
..just in case something interesting happens... Grin...
No kidding though,.. it's easier than it sounds...

PS... you can do the same for the front wheel... just position yerself further back, and put the stool further forward...
Easy as toast...

NOTE... author assumes no responsibility for such dang fool shenanigans... It's just what I do, when I don't got no jack... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 10/11/13 at 19:20:42

Cinder block and a chunk of 2x4. Works great. Pop off the shock nuts, pop the lower mount bolt out with a long flathead screwdriver. 5 minutes, piece of cake. You only need the bolt to move about 3cm before the shock eye can slip off of it easily.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #4 - 10/12/13 at 06:17:15

heh, my only comment here is if I can do this job (and I have) then it has to be incredibly easy.  Grin

I used a small jack, placed a flat piece of wood under the bike (on top of the jack) and jacked the bike up enough to jam a cinder block under the frame with another flat piece of wood on top of that.

Getting the shocks off was pretty easy.  Getting the new ones (which were originally for a VS800) on was a bit tougher as I needed to jack the bike up more and get the swingarm to drop the rear tire more.  It wasn't that bad, but it was a pain to do by myself as the bike wanted to flop around a bit on the jack.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/12/13 at 09:07:23

A block jammed under the high side of the frame while its on the sidestand.
Then, stand the bike up & tie the handlebars off to something.
Jam another block under the left side.

Its up & set. no jack, no real effort,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/12/13 at 15:56:26

Thank you gentlemen, I had a small floor jack, and by backing the shock to minimum tension and raising the rear wheel a couple of inches off the ground the shock came off easy. The lower shock mounting bolt didn't seem to want to pass through the pulley, on reflection, it may have been that the hex edge caught it, but if that's the case it must be a close passage anyway. The result of this was that I had to slot my packing clamps for the belt guard which I didn't want to do. The bike is now back together but I'm concerned that the outer packer has moved the guard too close to the pulley and if I have to remove it the clamp washers won't be as effective. Just have to ride it and find out.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/13/13 at 17:13:47

Had a sixty or seventy mile test ride and I feel the belt guard does just touch the pulley, I hit some good bumps. I may have to remove 1 packer and re check.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear shock removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.