Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Argh! Silly Savage, why don't you wanna go fast? (Read 189 times)
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Argh! Silly Savage, why don't you wanna go fast?
10/10/13 at 10:08:57

So, in short, my savage no longer wishes to run.

In long, I ran out of gas the other day on the highway, pulled over, called the wife, etc etc. It started a little funny, in that i had to kind of "coax" the engine to throttle at first, but then once i got going it was fine. Got it home and turned in for the night. Now we are this morning. The darn thing barely wants to stay running, and in fact will just die for next to no reason. And by no reason, I mean turning the throttle even the smallest smidge. I tryed adjusting the mix with the little brass dealio, but to no avail.

Let me be more explicit. I'm fairly sure that this is a fuel/air issue, and it's most likely caused by my leaky main gasket (lack of funds :'( ). I've tried to get it to work in some combination of mix screw adjustment and whether the choke was out or not, and at what level. I got various degrees of success, the most successful being with the choke all the way out, and the mix screw at 5 full turns from all the way in. That let me get it back into the driveway this morning.

I guess I'm looking for more pointed questions that will reveal my true ignorance on this, my most favorite of motorcycles. Am I missing something?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Argh! Silly Savage, why don't you wanna go fas
Reply #1 - 10/10/13 at 10:54:35

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

...if it ain't that,.. most likely yer' slide is stuck... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/10/13 at 10:54:52

Although your post is long......we need more information.

Have you tested your petcock to see if fuel is flowing to the carb?
Do you still have the vacuum petcock?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/10/13 at 17:04:58

I'm fairly sure that this is a fuel/air issue, and it's most likely caused by my leaky main gasket (lack of funds :'(

Im not sure where this main gasket is,, please elaborate,

Okay,, you called the wife, Im guessin she brought gas.. How much & how old?
It was running before ya ran it out,, what changed? Id seriously question the fuel you put in,, mine wouldnt accept throttle, it was running poorly,, swapped the gas out & Vroom, Bay Bee..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/10/13 at 17:37:52

Good guess, JOG...  I forgot about the diesel runners... Huh...

IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #5 - 10/10/13 at 19:44:54

I haven't tested my petcock, no, and it is the original petcock. How would one test their petcock?

By main gasket, I believe I mean the head gasket, though thats what i would call it on a car. It leaks oil. My terminology is rather limited at this point, but its the ring about half way up the block in line with the exhaust pipe.

I went and bought new gas, put it in my lay around can which was empty. 2 gallons regular.

I tested the throttle in all three positions of the petcock, with no change in behaviour as far as I was able to determine. I'll take another look at it tommorow and see what I can see.

What is the "slide" and how would one tell if it was stuck?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 10/10/13 at 23:27:23

In Serowbot's post the

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

words are red in color, mouse over them and clik on that sentence and it will take you to the petcock test, please follow all the steps in the test.

I did the same test to my wife's savage and ended up buying a raptor petcock....run the test and see what happens...but maybe run your brass screw only out about 2 1/2 to 3 turns first "2.5 to 3 is about the norm.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/11/13 at 05:15:43

You very likely have a problem with the petcock.  Here is a link to the test method:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Also your head gasket is probably just fine....we have no record of the head gasket failing on any bike.  The oil leak you have is most likely the head plug.  There is a little rubber plug over top of the rigt front cylinder stud.  This plug is notorious for coming loose and leaking oil.  Most people initially blame the head gasket......which is never the cause.  Here is the link to the head plug cure.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gutwrenchinggore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 10/11/13 at 10:05:10

Thank you all, I have now fixed the problem.

I went out this morning and drained a bit of the gas out, and it ran great afterwards, I had to adjust the mix screw again, but I just went up and down the block no prob. I think I drained out the lower bouyancy bad stuff that was stuck in the line or some such, couldn't tell you. It didn't look quite like gas running out. A little... opaque? Anyhoo, I tested my petcock just to be sure, and it checked out, no fuel in the line and it didn't run "better". Thanks Dave, old_rider, Serowbot, justin_o_guy2, thanks for giving me some inkling of where to even begin. I am feeling more competent dealing with mechanical issues everytime I feel completely ignorant of the problem at hand. Then I come here, and you guys fill my head with all sorts of crazy ideas, like "it's fixable" and "unhook the line". Unhook the line! but then it'll explode!

Have a great day, I'm going to go to school, and not on the bus. I really hate the bus, turns out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/11/13 at 10:30:33

Gas was the obvious variable. It was running, ran out O gas,, put gas in, ran like crap.. what changed? Why would we suddenly have a carb problem/? Or the petcock suddenly died? Its not inpossible, but its a slim odds kinda thing.
Any time you drain gas, remember to drain the carb bowl. Drain gas by pulling the line off the carb, poke it in a can, put it on prime,
Now, ditch that crappy petcock before it is a problem,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 10/11/13 at 10:47:22

...inpossible...
I like that,.. I'm gonna' use it... Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/11/13 at 10:57:31

Nope, youre not,, Its copyrighted.. BUT, its not inpossible to get me to sign a waiver so you can use it, but youre gonna hafta admit youre obstinate,,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/11/13 at 11:00:40

Never... Tongue...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/11/13 at 11:02:45

Ive never seen such a fine display of pragmatism,,you sir, are a pragmatist if Ive ever seen one, coff,, coff.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Argh! Silly Savage, why don't you wanna go fast?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.