Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb re-jet cost (Read 157 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Carb re-jet cost
10/09/13 at 20:27:29

Being back at sea-level I'm going to get my bike re-jetted since it was set up for the Rocky Mountains. I spoke to a shop in the city and they said "well it won't be cheap... probably around 500 bucks."

Then I spoke to a shop about 50 miles south where I'm staying at the moment and they said "It'll be about 150 bucks."

So what gives? Is the one place super over-priced or is the other super under-priced? I don't mind a good deal but I'm almost suspect of the cheaper place with worry that they'll be doing a quickie job or something.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb re-jet cost
Reply #1 - 10/09/13 at 20:42:45

ask what are you doing for the money and can you watch.

if the $500 guy aint puttin it on a dyno and/or using a air/fuel gage he had at least offer you some KY.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 10/09/13 at 20:50:17

Jets only? About 10 dollars and you can do the job in under 20 minutes yourself. Rotate the carburetor top toward the drive belt, remove four bowl screws. See the big brass thing with a hole in the middle? Change it out. See the tiny one in a hole? Change it out. Ignore the float. Ignore the white spacer mod.

Take the jets in it to Harley Davidson, tell them to go up 2 sizes if you were in Denver or similar altitude. Done. Mikuni BS40 was a hop up kit carburetor for Evo Sportsters in the 1980s, any independent shop should have a jet box.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #3 - 10/09/13 at 21:39:00

WD wrote on 10/09/13 at 20:50:17:
. Rotate the carburetor top toward the drive belt, remove four bowl screws.

Wait you can just rotate the carburetor? Welp that'll save me some time in the future...  Embarrassed Roll Eyes

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/10/13 at 06:25:32

Yeah, if you don't kind sitting on the ground while swapping the jets. My set I just swapped out had been in there for several years, figured I'd end up using vise grips on the bowl screws and an e-z out on the jets. So I pulled the carb off this time. Bowl screws and the perfectly clean after sitting for just shy of 3 calendar years jets were out in under 2 minutes. Took me almost 10 minutes to wrestle the carb off of the engine.  Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/10/13 at 08:38:22

150 is way high,, buy tools,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #6 - 10/10/13 at 09:22:10

WD wrote on 10/10/13 at 06:25:32:
Yeah, if you don't kind sitting on the ground while swapping the jets. My set I just swapped out had been in there for several years, figured I'd end up using vise grips on the bowl screws and an e-z out on the jets. So I pulled the carb off this time. Bowl screws and the perfectly clean after sitting for just shy of 3 calendar years jets were out in under 2 minutes. Took me almost 10 minutes to wrestle the carb off of the engine.  Huh

I think I end up sitting on ground longer when wrestling the carb out than it would take to swap out the jets in the rotated position. Thanks for the insight!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/10/13 at 09:25:26

Thats all dandy if the bolts will turn,, Id go back with ss allen heads. A little dab of never seize,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/10/13 at 10:03:59

My own personal experience with jet changes is......throwing in a couple of jets doesn't take long...on the second time.  The first encounter you will be cleaning the carb, finding out what jets are in it, getting out the stubborn screws in the slide that hold the white spacer in, drilling out the brass plug that covers the idle mixture screw, installing a new fuel hose to replace the old cracked one, going to the hardware store to find the allen screws to replace the stock phillips ones....etc.

If you want to just replace the existing jets in hopes of making a better running bike.......that might/could work adn you might get a bike that runs better by installing jets that have been working in other peoples bikes.....that is what companies like DynaJet do.  My own epxerience is that it took testing of about 5 different combinations to eliminate the off idle flat spot that my bike had.....and to get the "correct" jetting for my owner personal bike dialed in.  The main and pilot jet changes could be down pretty quickly after I had installed the allen screws in the float bowl.  But my jetting changes invovled changing the white spacer to 3 washers....and later to 2 washers.......and working on the slide needle is time consuming.  I would guess that with the original cleaning, jet changes, test rides, more changes...etc.  My "jetting" process took about 8 hours to get the bike running the way I wanted it to run.  This 8 hours was spread out over a couple of weeks and many evening test rides.....so it would be nearly impossible to do this on a bike that I did not own.....or someone wasn't willing to leave with you for a few weeks.  I also had the advantage of having an O2 sensor and gauge installed at the time so that I could see exactly what was happening when I changed jets.....and I never had to guess what was happening.

Thank goodness I don't have to try and make a living jetting other peoples bikes.....I would starve to death if I only got $ 150 to do it.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 10/11/13 at 05:48:26

I still haven't messed with the white spacer. Until the slide diaphragm fails, I won't. Just main and pilot was all mine needed out west, so I leaned it back out here to get some of my fuel economy back. As soon as I figure out how to install a Linkert M74 or MB74, the Mikuni becomes a target. Of course, if I find a decent Amal first, then the Linkert AND the Mikuni become targets. The BS40 is bar none the most aggravating carburetor I''ve ever owned, and considering that I've had 2 stroke spec D'el Ortos...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/11/13 at 05:53:42

WD wrote on 10/11/13 at 05:48:26:
I still haven't messed with the white spacer. Until the slide diaphragm fails, I won't. Just main and pilot was all mine needed out west, so I leaned it back out here to get some of my fuel economy back. As soon as I figure out how to install a Linkert M74 or MB74, the Mikuni becomes a target. Of course, if I find a decent Amal first, then the Linkert AND the Mikuni become targets. The BS40 is bar none the most aggravating carburetor I''ve ever owned, and considering that I've had 2 stroke spec D'el Ortos...

Ahhh, yes; the jilted lover syndrome.   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 10/11/13 at 07:44:16

I just miss the instant throttle response of a traditional side draft butterfly carburetor. Or even an old fashioned mechanical slide. That vacuum mess isn't worth the hassle. And trying to get the screws out under the slide, they wouldn't budge when the bike was new in 98...

I'd love to make a cast aluminum mount and run my spare downdraft Carter one barrel truck carburetor on it. But since it can only be jetted down for a piddly puny 201 cubic inch 6 cylinder side valve engine... it isn't going to work on a DOHV 40 incher...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/11/13 at 09:02:08

I have a neighbor with an early model Honda Gold Wing that got tired of keeping 4 carbs in synch.  He is a touring guy and not so much into stop light races.  He built a new steel manifold with a line attached to it that runs the warm engine coolant through to prevent iciing.....and he runs a single VW Beetle Solex carb on it.  Much simpler....and he added the adjustable main jet so both the idle and main mixure are adjustable by hand without even a screwdriver needed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 10/11/13 at 14:32:43

Dave wrote on 10/11/13 at 09:02:08:
I have a neighbor with an early model Honda Gold Wing that got tired of keeping 4 carbs in synch.  He is a touring guy and not so much into stop light races.  He built a new steel manifold with a line attached to it that runs the warm engine coolant through to prevent iciing.....and he runs a single VW Beetle Solex carb on it.  Much simpler....and he added the adjustable main jet so both the idle and main mixure are adjustable by hand without even a screwdriver needed.

The "IntelAjet" by Thunder Products does that function

IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #14 - 10/11/13 at 15:17:50

WD wrote on 10/11/13 at 07:44:16:
I just miss the instant throttle response of a traditional side draft butterfly carburetor. Or even an old fashioned mechanical slide. That vacuum mess isn't worth the hassle. And trying to get the screws out under the slide, they wouldn't budge when the bike was new in 98...

I'd love to make a cast aluminum mount and run my spare downdraft Carter one barrel truck carburetor on it. But since it can only be jetted down for a piddly puny 201 cubic inch 6 cylinder side valve engine... it isn't going to work on a DOHV 40 incher...

Solder up the jet and drill it out to the size you need, hey presto- one downdraft on a savage!   Tongue

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb re-jet cost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.