Paint Advice (Read 325 times)
bdrums71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new jersey
Paint Advice
10/08/13 at 20:51:26

hey guys, im looking to paint my frame/ tank/ and rear fender( custom rear fender my buddy made for me). Im not looking to go to a shop to get it done, and i was gunna take a whack at it using automotive primer and some gloss black spray paint. Today i spray my fork tubes with some black appliance epoxy and they came out awesome.  you dont have to prime with the stuff either just sand. so my question is, would it be wise to use this stuff on the frame (frame is sandblasted btw) or should i use primer and some rustoleum gloss black spray paint? how about the tank and fender?.( tank is a sportster tank and both are down to bare metal) i appreciate all your help guys.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Paint Advice
Reply #1 - 10/09/13 at 04:59:28

Do a search....or just scan back in the RSD and there is plenty of discussion about paint from spray cans.  No one has gotten spray cans to hold up on the gas tank - the slopped fuel discolors the paint.  There is a 2k clear of some kind that has a chance of working.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/09/13 at 06:00:37

I've known a few guys over the years who have used appliance spray paint on bikes, mostly on rims since they are supposed to be a bit more scratch resistant then regular rattle can paints. The only real negative that I've heard from different people is that appliance paints don't have any UV resistance and if you keep your bike parked outdoors more often then not the paint will prematurely degrade  Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 10/09/13 at 07:26:05

Dave wrote on 10/09/13 at 04:59:28:
Do a search....or just scan back in the RSD and there is plenty of discussion about paint from spray cans.  No one has gotten spray cans to hold up on the gas tank - the slopped fuel discolors the paint.  There is a 2k clear of some kind that has a chance of working.

http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 10/09/13 at 11:11:46

I used that 2k stuff on my tank and although it somewhat works, you better make sure when you go at the pump you wipe any spillage as soon as possible. I carry a dirty rag on the bike at all times for that purpose.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 10/09/13 at 12:26:37

you need to shoot several coats of fuel resistant clear and let it cure properly before lettign any fuel spill on the tank.....the fenders will survive with most any clear laquer....just shooting them with the paint and not laying down enouigh clear coat will end up with the paint softening, discoloring, or just flat coming off......bare metal yes prime it 1st for best results......cheap route just shoot it no primer or clear....you will be doing it again much sooner than later.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 10/09/13 at 13:19:39

I'm starting to think that any DIY paint jobs need to be finished off by taking the parts to a body shop to have them shot with a coat or two of genuine multi-ingredient auto paint.

IP Logged
warrior
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rock hill , .sc
Reply #7 - 10/09/13 at 14:28:07

It works great , you just need to know how to use it correctly.
Working with in the flash times and letting it cure fully before Wet sanding and buffing

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/09/13 at 18:27:37

Literally thousands of bikes over the years on Do The Ton have been frame or wheel finished in appliance paints. Without issues. The stuff works. Quite well.

If you are worried about it, hit up Advanced Auto Parts for some gloss black roll bar paint. Or some nice matte black chassis paint (nearly bulletproof, unlike cured appliance epoxy, which IS bulletproof... a .22 short is technically a bullet, right?)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bdrums71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new jersey
Reply #9 - 10/09/13 at 23:43:48

thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it. i think im gunna try out the appliance epoxy on the frame. as for the fender and gas tank im gunna take my time and use primer and plenty of clear coat. I'm gunna post some pics when im done so you guys can take a look, should take about a week though.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 10/10/13 at 02:02:21

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 10/10/13 at 16:15:37

stinger wrote on 10/10/13 at 02:02:21:

Do they make gas-proof paint?

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #12 - 10/10/13 at 23:11:23

What about the Suzuki decal on the tank, is it proof for spray clear?

14365412   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 10/21/13 at 20:57:17

joshualiopn wrote on 10/21/13 at 20:54:38:
bdrums71 wrote on 10/08/13 at 20:51:26:
hey guys, im looking to paint my frame/ tank/ and rear fender( custom rear fender my buddy made for me). Im not looking to go to a shop to get it done, and i was gunna take a whack at it using automotive primer and some gloss black spray paint. Today i spray my fork tubes with some black appliance epoxy and they came out awesome.  you dont have to prime with the stuff either just sand. so my question is, would it be wise to use this stuff on the frame (frame is sandblasted btw) or should i use primer and some rustoleum gloss black spray paint? how about the tank and fender?.( tank is a sportster tank and both are down to bare metal) i appreciate all your help guys.

I love the color of the white paint in my home appliances or all related home articles. Would you please share the name/brand please? Smiley

none of those paints can handle even a few drops of gasoline

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #14 - 10/22/13 at 16:49:51

Truck bed liner paint in spray cans will handle gasoline spills. People can't keep their hands off it. I went riding with 4 Hurley riders. They all cussed me! Everyone that came in wanted to know about MY bike. Prep it well. I painted outdoors on a calm day. Sold it to a member here that totaled it.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:30:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint Advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.