Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tutorial on how to remove front and rear wheels (Read 250 times)
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Tutorial on how to remove front and rear wheels
10/08/13 at 09:33:35

Purchased some Dunlop 404's and want to install myself. I heard this is a b*$#h to do. Is there a tutorial anywhere to help me through this process?

IP Logged
SteveIsGr8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jamestown, NC
Re: Tutorial on how to remove front and rear wheel
Reply #1 - 10/08/13 at 09:58:53

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/08/13 at 09:59:54

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245884202/0#0

This has more to do with wrassling with the tire itself.  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/08/13 at 10:09:00

Removing and installing your wheels is pretty basic stuff.....although if you have never done it before I suppose you might not know where to start........You should start by getting an a Clymers manual!  If you are going to own this bike and work on it.....the Clymers manual will be extremely helpful and it details the process with instructions and photos.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how to change motorycle tires.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #4 - 10/08/13 at 16:46:01

Thanks guys but it looks like I wont be changing the tires anytime soon. Long story short, when I received my dyna slip ons the other day I foolishly, because I was so excited, went ahead and removed the stock exhaust from the bike, header and all. Well, since the guy sent me slip ons without baffles I am sending them back. False advertising crap-head!
ANyway, went to put stock exhaust back on and had a heck of a time getting it all back on. I remember that I was looking for the exhaust gasket but did not see one at first and then it literally just fell out the the exhaust port Undecided So, I put the gasket back in and re-attached everything again but the header felt really loose and didn't seat itself completely in the header port. Oh well, tightened everything back up and took her out. Second gear and I started hearing a dinging sound coming from somewhere.  Shocked Turned around, went home and let her cool off. Took apart again and put it back together and now it drives with the dinging AND I think there is leak somewhere. Sputters and hesitates big-time! Maybe I bit off more than I could chew with this self-modifying business! Now, I am scared I messed it up or something and am not sure at all what to do. Angry

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/08/13 at 17:54:03

Don't sweat it, it's just an exhaust leak and won't hurt anything as long as it's not left that way long term   Smiley

Take the exhaust off again and see if the gasket is ok, if not replace it, if it's ok just take your time and try installing the exhaust again properly with the header pipe nice and flush to the engine  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/09/13 at 17:54:34

Find your gasket where it is sitting crooked in the exhaust port and pry it out. Brass brush the port clean, brass brush the gasket clean. You want at least somewhat clean surfaces, less chance of it going in lopsided again. Now, and you'll think I've gone bug house, put two big blobs of heavy grease in the exhaust port where the gasket seats. Stick the gasket to the grease, install your pipe. Lube the bolt threads up first! Once everything is finger tight and seated squarely, tighten the bolts up snug.

Have a nice quiet ride. Put some Vaporub under your nostrils first, the grease is going to get hot and seriously stink. Trust me, the grease works just long enough to simplify stabbing the pipe back in squarely.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #7 - 10/09/13 at 19:34:23

Thanks for the grease tip.  Any particular kind of grease? Also, I am having a hard time finding specifics on the gasket that is in there? It's some kind of metal I think.  My neighbor said it looked like maybe there should have been some kind of o-ring around the outside of it.  I'll post a pic tomorrow.

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #8 - 10/09/13 at 19:53:14

By the way,  I never had to pry out the gasket, it fell out when I removed the header the second time.  Is it supposed to be snug in there?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 10/09/13 at 20:06:21

It is a flimsy copper or aluminum u-channel with asbestos packing (good ones), or an asbestos substitute for the cheap ones.

Whatever grease is handy, even Vaseline will do the job. I grab whatever grease gun/tub is closest to where I'm wrenching, it only has to hold a few fractions of an ounce in place for under a minute.

If you had a Kawasaki I could tell you the Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle exhaust gasket you needed. HDSE kits use VN1500 exhaust gaskets...  Grin

I think I've had entirely too damm many bikes the last 26 years...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #10 - 10/18/13 at 07:01:10

All is well with the exhaust. Thank you for the tip on using grease to keep the gasket in place. I should've thought of that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:29:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tutorial on how to remove front and rear wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.