Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Midnight and African Americans (Read 122 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midnight and African Americans
10/08/13 at 09:05:02

I remember this article from many, many moons ago.
I thought, after your last rant, you could appreciate this:

The Omaha suspension of a white high-school student originally from South Africa is sending shock waves across America as debate rages over who can claim rights to the term “African-American.”

South African native Trevor Richards suspended over African-American campaign

The case centers on Trevor Richards, a junior at Westside High School, who moved from Johannesburg to Nebraska six years ago.

Richards and his classmates, 16-year-old twins Paul and Scott Rambo, were booted from classes last week after distributing posters touting Trevor as a candidate for Westside High’s “Distinguished African-American Student” award on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

“The posters were intended to be satire on the term African-American,” Scott Rambo told the Omaha World-Herald.

Principal John Crook says the posters were disruptive.

“It was offensive to the individual being honored, to people who work here and to some students,” Crook told the paper. “My role is to make sure we have a safe environment, physically and psychologically. We can’t allow that kind of thing to be hung up on our walls.”

Records from 2002-2003 indicate only 56 of Westside’s 1,632 students were black, and some in this year’s student body were reportedly upset by Richards’ poster.

Ironically, the first two recipients of the student award were white.

“It was not intended at the beginning to be one race only,” Clidie Cook, who helps organize the annual event, told the World-Herald.

But Westside officials pushed to change that, feeling the spirit of the honor meant giving it to a black student, and by 2001, the ministerial alliance in charge specified it was for blacks only.

Since the suspensions last week, the issue has been picked up by the Associated Press wire service, and has become a hot topic for columnists, talk radio and Internet messageboards.

“There is no room at the inn for the viewpoints of conservatives, libertarians, Christians, or constitutionalists in the public indoctrination system,” says David Huntwork, a conservative activist in Fort Collins, Colo., who criticized the squashing of “this gallant expression of grass-roots activism.”

The ABC television affiliate in Omaha, KETV, has been swamped with comments on its Internet messageboard.

Among the postings:

I attend Westside and I am in support for Trevor. Trevor is one of only maybe one or two other people that are actually from Africa. Trevor is more of an African-American than any other “African-American” at Westside. It is also wrong that there is an award for only black students when every other award at Westside is for everyone and everyone has an equal chance to receive those awards if they try.
   If you mean black award, say black award. If you must be racist, that is.
   Why are white Americans constantly hounded, ridiculed and stripped of any racial identity? Why is it OK for everyoneto be racist, except white Americans? … Can you imagine black students getting suspended for joining the “black student union” or any other black group on any campus, or workplace in America? This racism against white Americans must stop.
   I think the administrators should be fired. This is going too far. Let’s get a grip people! God this makes me sick. Fire those people!
   As a Canadian white male, I have worked with and befriended a few black people. I never once heard them refer themselves as African-Canadians.
   [T]echnically, Trevor is most likely Afrikaans-African-American or Dutch-African-American considering the white descendants of South Africa are from those European descents. So if you want to talk technically, he still is not eligible for this award. The truth is that everyone who is writing these absurd comments knows what African-American means. It is a black person. The term given to this ethnic group has changed over the decades from Negroes to colored people to black and finally African-American. It is a descriptor.

The label “African-American” is not universally used by blacks today, as evinced by companies and groups such as Black Entertainment Television, the Congressional Black Caucus, and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, better known as the NAACP.

A search of more than 200 U.S. newspapers geared predominantly toward blacks finds at least 16 have the word “black” in the title, while only five have “African-American.”

As WorldNetDaily reported last summer, a member of Congress, Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee, D-Texas, ignited national controversy when she reportedly sought an affirmative-action plan of sorts for hurricane names.

“All racial groups should be represented,” Lee said, according to the Hill. She hoped federal weather officials “would try to be inclusive of African-American names.”
http://www.wnd.com/2004/01/22929/#ombJeejmqu8lz05x.99

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Midnight and African Americans
Reply #1 - 10/08/13 at 09:17:55

I really really would like to take "zero tolerance" and apply on school administrators.

So in this case, the administrator failed to prevent this crime and must be fired. So must all teaching staff. Clean house. They all failed to teach kids that humor is wrong. Zero tolerance.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/08/13 at 09:45:29

When I was a kid, in fact, when Obamas birth certificate was supposedly printed up, Negro was the word. In 1961, there WERE No African-Americans, yet, thats his race on his birth certificate,,
Anyway, Negro is Spanish for Black,, & when we stopped using the Color to describe the people, we adopted Where they came from,, Africa, SOOOO, this white kid, from South Africa, IS an African American, the same way Mexican Americans are mexican americans,, It isnt color, its the nation of ones ancestors, I hope they sue. They should win,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 10/08/13 at 12:34:56

Being from the deep south, my mother use to use that term as well.

I currently run IPEDs reports for the university ( IPEDS is a federal something that collects all this data) Anyway this is my programming code for reporting IPEDS:

CASE ip_ethnicity.

WHEN '01'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l = 'AMER IND/ALASKAN'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '5'.
   WHEN '02'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l = 'ASIAN'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '4'.
   WHEN '03'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l = 'BLACK'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '2'.
   WHEN '04'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l =  'HISPANIC'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '3'.
   WHEN '05'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l = 'HAWAII/PACIFIC ISLE'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '6'.
   WHEN '06'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l = 'WHITE'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '1'.
   WHEN '07'.                                      "invalid code for IHL
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l =  'NON-RES ALIEN'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '0'.
   WHEN '09'.                                      "invalid code for IPEDS
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l =  'TWO OR MORE RACES'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '7'.                       "Multi-racial
   WHEN '98'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l =  'TWO OR MORE RACES'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '7'.
   WHEN '99'.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l =  'UNKNOWN'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '0'.
   WHEN OTHERS.
     ep_ipeds_ethnicity_l = 'UNKNOWN'.
     ep_ihl_ethnicity = '0'.

ENDCASE.

IHL is the state college reporting agency...
What is funny is that Non-res alien ( non-resident alien) is a required IPEDS "ethnicity".  A second chunk of code verifies country and if not US, then the ethnicity is changed to NON RES Alien.

Also know that IPEDS is VERY VERY much pushing the latino counts. Every student must be asked "are you latino" first, then what their race is. The report allows for both to be reported as separate fields.  So you could be latino white, or latino black.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 10/08/13 at 20:53:52

Steve you know me better than that, I never go on a rant LMAO!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 10/09/13 at 05:25:45

My two cents' worth if I may.

It is all down to that most horrible, most hypocrite issue of "politically correct".

A guy from Egypt is African America, like it or not.
A guy from Madagascar is African American, like it or not.
A guy from Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) is African American, like it or not.
A guy from Cabo Verde is African American, like it or not.
A guy from South Africa is African American, like it or not.

BUT

none of them are negro. Please read again, I said "negro", not "n i g g e r".
I am extremely familiar with both terms, I remind all I lived 5 years in the States during the entire Nixon Administration.

Too bad the guy from Egypt is ethnically Arab.
Too bad the guy from Madagascar is ethnically a Hindustani.
Too bad the guy from Zimbabwe could well prove to be Irish.
Too bad the guy from Cabo Verde is a Portuguese Creole.
Too bad the guy from South Africa could well prove to be Afrikaansm hence Dutch... or Scottish... Wink

The point is... in the US system of identifying race, you have got genetics all wrong !!!

A "white" is called "caucasian", right ? WRONG ! CAUCASIAN = from the Caucasus, all whites should be "European-Americans"

See these maps ? Would you believe that European geneticists (scientists who study genetics) count no less than 60 major ethnic groups in Europe, looking at DNA alone?
Without any attention to language, territory and customs&lore, that is... that comes later.

See where the Caucasus is ? Would you believe that true Caucasians are NOT Europeans by their DNA ?  
Shocked
Nope...  Undecided From Chechens to Georgians to Armenians... they are an extremely ancient ethnic enclave, stuck between equally ancient Turko-Afghan-Iranians to their west, and "Barbaric" Europeans to the east.
Read this page for a more scientific and historical explanation  Wink
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml#at_pco=tcb-1.0&at_to...

The same applies to Europe itself: no self-respecting Greek would ever accept to be confused with a fur-clad, beer-swilling Swede... Wink

Pine's excellent example proves my point once more:
- what on earth is an "Amerind"? A Native American? As if the term could equally well define a Seneca, a Seminole and a Shoshone...

- what is "asian"? Chinese? Siberian ?  

Hindi ?  Syrian ?

Get a load of these!

I left the names on purpose, these are Iranian beauties of Persian ethnicity.
You know what ? Persians are white ! No, really, they are white.

What about these ?

American ? nope, Bar Rafaeli is Israeli, Catherine Bell is Persian  Shocked Yup ! Both are ASIANS  Cheesy

(of course, one might object most Israelis are ethnically Europeans but hey! Who am I to deny geographical evidence?  Wink)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 10/09/13 at 05:40:13

On a lighter note... enjoy...

...who knows, you might even want to buy a ticket and come and visit !  Cheesy

http://www.eupedia.com/italy/trivia.shtml#at_pco=tcb-1.0&at_tot=15&at_ab=-&at...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 10/09/13 at 05:53:09

And then... you'll know it's time to leave when...

http://www.eupedia.com/italy/you_have_been_in_italy_too_long.shtml

Cool (dark glasses, it's in there...)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/09/13 at 12:21:11

You bring much to this place Pesci,.,I appreciate your pics,, Er, Umm,, I mean, POSTS,, thats it,, POsts,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 10/09/13 at 13:21:23

I just say white cuz I cant spell the other one.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #10 - 10/09/13 at 17:50:26

If my race were named after my ancestors I should  be called German American.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 10/09/13 at 23:52:31

Midnightrider wrote on 10/09/13 at 17:50:26:
If my race were named after my ancestors I should  be called German American.

Very good point.

IIRC, once the Revolutionary War was won, one of the key talking points was "which official language should we choose?"

The German/English contest was won by English by a margin - Pennsylvania being a mostly German / Dutch colony.

You know the expression "Pennsylvania Dutch"? It should actually be "Pennsylvania Deutsch", i.e. a mix of Dutch, Prussian and Pomeranian (two dialects typical of northern Germany)
From a Wiki page:
"Of the 44 Presidents of the United States, at least half have displayed proficiency in speaking or writing a language other than English.
Martin Van Buren was the only American President who did not speak English as his first language. He was born in Kinderhook, New York, a primarily Dutch community, spoke Dutch as his first language,
and continued to speak it at home. He learned English as a second language while attending Kinderhook's local school house.
"

Add to his the importance of Yiddish and the jewish culture in the common American Identity, and you've got it...
...and before any of you question my statement on the "importance of Yiddish and the jewish culture in the common American Identity" please explain why Elvis sung "My Yiddishe Mommye"  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 10/10/13 at 06:44:26

Ahhhh the races...

One things for sure... beauty comes in many colors (per pesc's pics)!

I recall... waaaay back in 1983, I when to go see Porky's II. I had seen Porky's as it was all the rage of us High schoolers.  There was a long running theme in the movie for which I had no reference. In one scene a "redneck" called a guy (continuously) a "kite". Finally the guy turns around and says "It's kike, you stupid redneck". We didn't have internet or google back then, would have come in handy, I had never heard of either term ... and come to think of it... hadn't since.  Basically other than sunday school, and being told they were "God's chosen people", I didn't even know anyone jewish (not including Spock!).. or if I did... it sure didn't matter. Finally in 1999, the job I have now the girl I worked was jewish. We got along famously. I ended up holding up some tent pole at her wedding.  But the coolest thing we shared was when I gave her a ride to the post office, and we saw a very old man there, and just for a second we both saw his tattoo from being a concentration camp. Imagine that, she couldn't let that go and had to go strike up a conversation with him. I just stared (I did try not to) and nodded a lot. I think he was rather glad we had to cut short as we were on lunch break.

Poor girl is now married to a Baptist preacher from South America! I strongly suspect that if somehow she don't make it to heaven... it won't be long before hell kicks her out, and she gets there anyway.

As for names, when I first got chastised for using the term Black versus the new PC "African-American", I responded on if they felt that putting "white Anglo-Saxon protestant of European descent" would be more correct for the forms we were making. Being southerners first, we all agreed that black and white worked just fine for the time being.

I was all "biker dude" even before I had a bike... renegade!  

PS: the above is not meant to offend anyone, friends and goodness (like beauty) come in all colors, and I am blessed with a wide assortment myself for which I am very grateful.  

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 10/11/13 at 06:21:55

"...I am blessed with a wide assortment myself for which I am very grateful"

You can't say "wide", Pine, the overweight minority could take offense.

You should say "ample".

But then the overweight European minority who know what "ample" means could take offense.

So... try baytn , it's Yiddish, the Jewish community would be pleasantly amused...
Huh
But then, the French Creole community would be envious, why Yiddish when French Creole is so romantic  ?  Kiss

Ase ...  Huh (sounds like "ass" to me...)

But here comes the German minority, and then there's the Hungarian minority, and wait! That there's the Russian minority... Lips Sealed AAARGH !
Tongue
Tell you what... I'll make you an offer you can't refuse...

Use Italian... nobody will complain...  Wink

We say "una bella varietà", a "beautiful" variety.

Nobody complains on beauty  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 10/11/13 at 06:26:26

Have a nice weekend, folks !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 04:40:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Midnight and African Americans

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.